PDA

View Full Version : silicone question (sort of)

kirkp
01-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Hi all,

Having searched the archives, I didn't find an answer to my question. In the DIY section, there's a sticky relating to silicone and the fact that the GE product has changed. Timbo talked about a DAP product and put a link up which for some reason, I can't get to work. Wondering what DAP product it was?

Thanks, Kirk

GC_PAUL
01-16-2008, 05:23 AM
Kirk
GE or Dap, As long as it says 100% silicone and has no additives [ for mold etc] It is fine to use. Dap does make water clean up silicone don't use that.

brewmaster15
01-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Hi Kirk,
DAP makes a silicon that it specifically markets as "Aquarium Sealant 100% silicon" it comes in a 2.8 fl oz tube..I usually buy mine at Lowes Home improvement store... 1 tube is just about enough to do a 29 gal tank ..,...the way I lay it on.. its about $4.5 a tube

an alternative is to buy the big tubes from supply houses like Jehmco.com

http://www.jehmco.com/html/maintenance_equipment.html

or aquaticecosystems.com
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/6890

hth,
al

phidelt85
01-16-2008, 07:54 PM
I use the GE silicone I, it's the one without the bioseal additive.

alpine
01-16-2008, 09:23 PM
I just went to Lowes looking for 100% silicone, the clerk steer me to some 100% silicone I did not feel very comfortable with , so I ended up buying what Al mentioned , the small DAP aquarium silicone tubes . I plan on making some slate caves for some plecos I plan to get soon.

roberto.

arl
01-16-2008, 11:03 PM
You can use either GE silicone 1 or II as long as it is the "WINDOWS and DOORS" and NOT the kitchen and bath. Kitchen and bath has anti molds that will kill your fish. The difference between GE I and II is that GE I will release poisonous gas while drying but GE II won't, when dry both of them should be just the same, it will be a matter of having the anti mold or not.

phidelt85
01-16-2008, 11:07 PM
The difference between GE I and II is that GE I will release poisonous gas while drying but GE II won't

I love that smell of acetic acid. Quite pungent and sharp on the nose :D

dishpanhands
01-17-2008, 04:59 AM
If you look on the tube and it says "Food Grade" you can use it also.

reelay0
01-17-2008, 07:53 AM
You can use either GE silicone 1 or II as long as it is the "WINDOWS and DOORS" and NOT the kitchen and bath. Kitchen and bath has anti molds that will kill your fish. The difference between GE I and II is that GE I will release poisonous gas while drying but GE II won't, when dry both of them should be just the same, it will be a matter of having the anti mold or not.

You're right about GE II having anti-mold that will kill your fish, but I think that the second part about once their dry, they'll be the same is wrong. I once resealed a tank using GEII that I'd gotten from walmart and the fish that I put in ended up dying various horrible deaths.

I ended up getting some aquarium sealant 10oz tubes from bigalsonline and it works great. the resealed tank is where my discus are chilling in now.

crazie.eddie
01-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I just went to Lowes looking for 100% silicone, the clerk steer me to some 100% silicone I did not feel very comfortable with , so I ended up buying what Al mentioned , the small DAP aquarium silicone tubes . I plan on making some slate caves for some plecos I plan to get soon.

roberto.

Black silicone looks nicer for slate caves.

arl
01-19-2008, 09:47 PM

You're right about GE II having anti-mold that will kill your fish, but I think that the second part about once their dry, they'll be the same is wrong. I once resealed a tank using GEII that I'd gotten from walmart and the fish that I put in ended up dying various horrible deaths.

I ended up getting some aquarium sealant 10oz tubes from bigalsonline and it works great. the resealed tank is where my discus are chilling in now.

It doesn't matter if it is GE I or II. It is on whether it is "WINDOWS AND DOORS (blue)" oR "KITCHEN AND BATH (red)". The kitchen and bath has anti mold that will kill your fish(both GEI and GEII) the Windows and doors doesn't have anti-mold and is safe(both GEI and GEII) Anti moldis lethal even when silicone is dried ( I guess thats the point of having it).

arl
01-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Here's a link on a forum discussion regarding GE silicone

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21234&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

harris611
01-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Oh crap!

I used tub and bath with the mildew and mold inhibiter to seal my overflow plumbing! I have not put fish in yet, so I'll drain and replace. Do you think I have contaminated the sand, etc. to the point it is dangerous? Bio-filter is rockin and done with fishless cycle, but don't know if that would be affected.

Unhappy...