PDA

View Full Version : 65 tall?

rerdragon1977
01-23-2008, 02:08 PM
found an excellent deal on a 65 tall aquarium. i know its kinda of small but can i keep a small group of discus?

mktorn
01-23-2008, 02:31 PM
What 65 means? If they are gallons, then I wouldn't worry. I have 8 juveniles in 65 g tank seems running OK so far. If they are liters, that is definitely too small. Minimal size of discus comfort group is 6 (less cause bulling problem). Normal volume is 10 gallons (40 l aprox.) for each. Do your math. :)

Good luck,
Michael

rerdragon1977
01-23-2008, 03:03 PM
my apologies, just because i have always measured in gallons dosent mean everyone else does :) I was planning of planting the tank and have no intention of breeding.

mktorn
01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
I've started with gravel and driftwood in my tank (not even planted yet) and in a week I had white worms outbreak colonized in gravel. I did daily WC and siphon my gravel, but couldn’t cleanse it well enough. That was because for juvenile discus feeding is 5 – 6 times daily and I had a lot of food remaining in the tank. We learn on the way. I’ve taken out all gravel and driftwood and run clean nice BB tank now. Fish are happy so far. I expect put gradually gravel and DW back in 2-3 months.

Good luck,
Michael