PDA

View Full Version : How much to feed

thomasfoo
01-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Recently I bought a bunch of ten LSS 3” (body) juvi said to be 4 months old. I feed them frozen home-made minced BH/liver/fish/shrimp burger (2:2:1:1) cut into pellets the size of pencil eraser head. I feed 5 times a day each time 2 pellets.

Question:
Did I feed them enough? Because every time I go near the tank they come to the front like begging for food, I think :).

Thanks in advance of your advice.

Thomas Foo

White Worm
01-24-2008, 01:19 PM
They will always look and act like they are starving, lol. If they devour the amount you feed them within a couple of minutes, give them some more. You just dont want left-overs sitting in the tank for very long. If I see a little bulge in the stomach area, I know they got their fill. At that age, feed them alot (5-8X daily).

thomasfoo
01-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks Mikscus. Do you feed them until their stomach is a little bulge everytime? (I siphon whatever leftover immly after feeding)

GulfCoastDiscus
01-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Along with all that feeding change water daily if you can.

White Worm
01-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Some dont always have that little bulge in the stomach but most will and it is a good indication that they got enough to eat. Of course, normal growth with the others is a good indication also. Give them a little time after feeding to pick up the scraps. Dont vac immediately because they do like to graze a little after the initial feeding, especially the less aggressive ones. Maybe after 20 minutes, if there is food, vac it. I never have that problem. :D My pigs eat everything and I think they would explode if I kept feeding them, lol. :) Like Dan, always keep the water clean with youngins.

thomasfoo
01-26-2008, 12:52 PM
thank you so much for all the tips. you guys are truly wonderful. i hope to contribute my part as i get along and gain more experience.

MSD
01-27-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure that twp pieces the size on a pencil eraser is enougn for 10 3" discus. I feed similar sized food to 14 discus 3 to 4 " and I use at least 10 pieces. I leave it in for about 20 to 30 minutes and its mostly GONE, and I have prefilters so I can see any leftovers. I do my water change right after the "meaty" foods are fed. By the way, morning meal is FBW, then some soaked pellets, the beefheat mix is the evening meal so I can cleanup after. My fish might be more to the 4" size but they always beg for food and love the food and clean water. I change 30% every day.

thomasfoo
02-06-2008, 02:15 AM
i am now feeding 3x daily size of ice cube each time :) BH mixture.

seanyuki
02-06-2008, 01:12 PM
i am now feeding 3x daily size of ice cube each time :) BH mixture.

Hi Thomas,

Please show us a photo of the ice cube then we could suggest more
after seeing it.

Cheers
Francis