PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P

alxjss
01-28-2008, 08:17 PM
How do i do this. I have this sick guy for a long time now and i don't see any improvements. I must euthanize and i don't no the best way. I don't plan on spending mucho bucks on a med so I was told to put him in a bowl and add bleach. Won't suffer. Almost instant death. What r ur opinions. I really need help. Remember, its real hard for me to do this so the quickest way is best.:waaa:

senso
01-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Eileen

I understand and feel for your predicament. A reliable source and breeder suggested a very cold bucket of water. The change in temperature will cause instant shock and the organs will shut down.

Condolences.

Darren's Discus
01-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Eileen,
it's always hard to do,I just freeze mine.

cheers

alxjss
01-28-2008, 10:13 PM
from what i understand, both ways r said to be slow deaths. I was told, as i said, the bleach will kill him in a matter of seconds. Not that i am questioning ur advice, just want the best way.....

crazie.eddie
01-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Bleach sounds like a painful death. Imagine being thrown in a pool of hydrochloric acid. Sure you will die, but a very painful one.

I had to euthanize an angel a long time ago, due to it having swim bladder. After 3 months of treatment, I had to make the decision. I bought a product called Euthanase (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4615+15556&pcatid=15556), which is basically clove oil.

Ben75
01-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Hi,
I know how hard it is to have to put down your fish,
I recently made the decission.
After much thought, i chose to place them in a bag of
water not too much , just cover them upright, and place in the freezer. the next day i took them out, they were frozen upright and
looked like they just went to sleep and didn't wake up.
they had not thrashed around because there were no holes in the bags. I personally believe this is a good way of letting them go.

Kindredspirit
01-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Eileen...I would not use bleach...that sounds horrible! I have never heard of that. Ever.

I have heard of Vodka. But in a bowl, and into the freezer, IME is the best and most humane way.

NanDiscus
01-29-2008, 08:57 AM
I have a very useful rottweiler for this job. An adult-sized discus is swallowed after 3 crunchy bites.
Yes, I know........ but it's really quick indeed.

pinkertd
01-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Eileen, I'm sorry you have to go thru this! I've been in your sad shoes too unfortunately! I do the freezer method, it seems like they start going to sleep right away. Never any fighting or moving. It seems very peaceful to me. Bleach sounds horrible.

Elite Aquaria
01-29-2008, 09:53 AM
I just release mine into the lake behind my house...

April
01-29-2008, 10:29 AM
i do the freezer . easiest for me..and i think thhey just get cold and hypothermic.

the lake behind the house? isnt that how we get all wierd species in the wrong places of the world? well if they report fish found half discus and half manatee or something..we will know why. lol.

Elite Aquaria
01-29-2008, 10:48 AM
i do the freezer . easiest for me..and i think thhey just get cold and hypothermic.

the lake behind the house? isnt that how we get all wierd species in the wrong places of the world? well if they report fish found half discus and half manatee or something..we will know why. lol.

I have to feed my pet piranhas somehow...;)

C_of_Discus
01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Freezing is the best way if you really want to go the extra mile put some club soda in with them It will but them to sleep.

I think I have heard some people use this when needing to operate on fish.

Kindredspirit
01-29-2008, 12:00 PM
I have to feed my pet piranhas somehow...;)

That is hilarious! ....kinda:o

Discus-Hans
01-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Most human and fast way, take a knife and cut his head off.
No fun I know but best and fast.

If you can't cut, catch it and trow it hard on a concreet floor, I know not the easiest way for you but best for your Discus.

Hans

I just release mine into the lake behind my house...

High Quality Domestic Homegrown Discus

I presume you are kidding here Dan,

Hans

RickMay1
01-29-2008, 12:29 PM
I do the freezer method, because fish are cold blooded the cold water simply slows their system down to the point of Death

I beleive the late Jim E Quarles would throw them against pavment, resulting in instant death.

alpine
01-29-2008, 12:52 PM
I just decided to part with a male that I grew up for three years and father three spawns. best father I am ever going to find . Was headstanding since july . I decided to put him in a small bucket covered and freeze him . I think that is one of the better ways to euthanize.
It was very sad to part with that fish but could not keep on looking at him headstanding .
Dan, I think you made a mistake on that lake release ...

roberto

Elite Aquaria
01-29-2008, 01:07 PM
I just decided to part with a male that I grew up for three years and father three spawns. best father I am ever going to find . Was headstanding since july . I decided to put him in a small bucket covered and freeze him . I think that is one of the better ways to euthanize.
It was very sad to part with that fish but could not keep on looking at him headstanding .
Dan, I think you made a mistake on that lake release ...

roberto

Roberto & Marie,

I was just kidding...:D

Kindredspirit
01-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Roberto & Marie,

I was just kidding...:D

Oh I know!! Hey, I thought it was hilarious, remember?