PDA

View Full Version : Good Discus In Australia

Bastler
01-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Hi all,

Im so sick of waisting my money on LFS pathetic excuses for discus. I gave it one last chance and got 4 2.5" discus which cost me way to much and im too embarressed to say how much:(.

Now all my nitrates nitrites amonia ph temperature are perfect and these discus are very dark when i get them. Im told its because of shipping blah blah. Im starting to believe that all discus are dark with horrible shape. And that these pictures are all fakes :p. Personally I think im just jealous.

My question is is there someone in Australia that can ship me 2 Decent discus. Thats all I want. But till now its seems like a question that cant be answered. I live in the Blue Mountains, NSW.

I want to see one of these beautifuly coloured fish everyone keeps going on about. I have a 50g tank with some neon tetras in it. So hopefully thats an ok size for 2 discus.

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers all

Ardan
01-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Check out the sponsor section http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=113
Darren has also sent fish for the Australians in the contest on this site.:)
Rod is in Australia too.

hth
Ardan

Rod
01-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Hi all,

Im so sick of waisting my money on LFS pathetic excuses for discus. I gave it one last chance and got 4 2.5" discus which cost me way to much and im too embarressed to say how much:(.

Now all my nitrates nitrites amonia ph temperature are perfect and these discus are very dark when i get them. Im told its because of shipping blah blah. Im starting to believe that all discus are dark with horrible shape. And that these pictures are all fakes :p. Personally I think im just jealous.

My question is is there someone in Australia that can ship me 2 Decent discus. Thats all I want. But till now its seems like a question that cant be answered. I live in the Blue Mountains, NSW.

I want to see one of these beautifuly coloured fish everyone keeps going on about. I have a 50g tank with some neon tetras in it. So hopefully thats an ok size for 2 discus.

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers all

Try our sponcer Darren at A1 Aquarium fish, he knows what a good and healthy discus looks like, and i heard along the grape vine he has a new shipment arriving from Malaysia very soon.

Don't give up, not all discus are black and football shaped.

Rod:)

Bastler
01-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the replies I will see if they can send discus to me.

Its just really annoying to put so so so many hours into these discus. Now my issue is going to be having this poor dark discus which i have had for about 3 weeks now, with some nice new healthy discus.

Hopfeully it wont be an issue. I would like to shove some other fish in there with the discus. Other then my cats (they are such awesome fish). I was thinking cichlids rams or something but what others can go in there that can withstand the same water and wont kill my discus?

Cheers again

April
01-29-2008, 10:24 AM
talk to darren or rod for advice. rod mainly does wholesale now..but a great discus breeder. Darren is a sponsor here and he gets in great fish. healthy and happy.
but..you cant just add healthy fish to your unhappy dark discus. he could be a carrier of something..and could get the new guys sick.
dont give up..what you really need is a nice new group of 6 and daily wcs . but youd have to clean the tank and start fresh. for now..id just do discus and get them going and happy and nice bright colours and light..then when you get everything running smooth...you could add some things like a couple rams or a bushynose or cardinals and rummynoses. but thats down the line. no sense causing health problems with your discus with a 2.00 fish
welcome to simplydiscus by the way..theres lots of info here and lots of people have succeeded with all the info. just keep it simple and get good stock and you should find it not that complicated. Im sure Darren can get you on the right track. :wave:

Bastler
01-29-2008, 07:54 PM
talk to darren or rod for advice. rod mainly does wholesale now..but a great discus breeder. Darren is a sponsor here and he gets in great fish. healthy and happy.
but..you cant just add healthy fish to your unhappy dark discus. he could be a carrier of something..and could get the new guys sick.
dont give up..what you really need is a nice new group of 6 and daily wcs . but youd have to clean the tank and start fresh. for now..id just do discus and get them going and happy and nice bright colours and light..then when you get everything running smooth...you could add some things like a couple rams or a bushynose or cardinals and rummynoses. but thats down the line. no sense causing health problems with your discus with a 2.00 fish
welcome to simplydiscus by the way..theres lots of info here and lots of people have succeeded with all the info. just keep it simple and get good stock and you should find it not that complicated. Im sure Darren can get you on the right track. :wave:

Yeh i figured I could not put that discus in with the new ones. I have been doing daily water changes and odly enough my poor little odly shapped dark fish is getting a little brighter atleast now i can see he has some blue through him. I did not even know if he was a solid discus or not. But has very definate stripes and blue on his fins now. So mayb things are looking up. Its just that my water quality has not changed.

I bought a different nitrite tester last night and there is O nitrite. However i think my nitrates may be above 10ppm. So I will have to keep the water changes up.

Thanks again for the help. My only issue is going to be what to do with all my plants I have in this tank. If i get juvi discus they need a bare bottom tank to grow dont they? And I cant put my pleco in my guppy tank.

Thanks again

Darren's Discus
01-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Mate,
sent you a pm let's get you some basketballs instead of footballs.

cheers

Bastler
01-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Mate,
sent you a pm let's get you some basketballs instead of footballs.

cheers

Mate,

Im just hoping these so called basketball shapped discus exist :P

Thanks heaps all, much more usefull then the LFS/LPS

Ben75
01-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi Bastler,
Mate i can highly recommend A1 , Darren has got some great fish, always good quality.

April
01-30-2008, 02:43 AM
oh..i guarantee those basketball fish exist. i get the same ones that darren gets here in canada from the same breeders. tony tan and forrest. i just got a shipment in today..and they are gorgeous fish.
and..believe it or not..i have imported fish from none other than rod lewis all the way from oz to canada twice. you guys have some great fish in oz. that i know..just finding the right people and connections.but now you did.
take my word for it..breeders dont send their best fish to lfs..they send them to breeders like darren and kenny etc.