PDA

View Full Version : vacation

fatherfish
02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
New to the forum and the discus game, have 4 discus a week now, planning vacation for a week or two away time at month end. I do every other day water change 10%, planted tank, feed frozen brine. I order automatic feeder and hope to switch discus to pellet. Any suggestions on the switch to pellets and avoiding water change?

Fatherfish

crazie.eddie
02-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Are these juveniles or adults? If they are adults, then there should be no problem with them not being fed for a week or two. I know juveniles or babies should be fed several times a day, but I'm not sure how the experts manage feeding them while they are gone. I believe they just have a friend or relative stop by the house and feed them and also perform WC.

As far as getting used to other foods, I usually just don't feed them for a day or 2. Then I toss in the other foods. I usually vary the foods each day. Then maybe after a week or so, I feed them what they are used to, just in case they haven't got the taste for the new foods yet.

fatherfish
02-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi, thanks for the advice. They are about 4”, I will gave this method a try and it sound good that I should alternate the diet, just to keep them in good nutrition. I will post the water change question on another thread. Thanks again.

Don Trinko
02-03-2008, 04:14 PM
I think most people do not feed if only gone for a week, possibly 2. Do a big WC before you leave and leave the lights out while gone.
I would set an autofeeder for a light feeding and make sure it is reliable before you leave. It is also good if you can have someone check on the fish every 3 or 4 days, Just to make sure the temp is ok and the filters are running. Don T.

korbi_doc
02-04-2008, 11:40 AM
:D I agree with Don, be sure the auto-feeder is set correctly for am't dropped....I love the auto feeders & use them all the time, even when I'm here.....with fish this size, when I'm away, I've just set for once a day feeding....I do think the filter/heater status is far more important than the feedings...never know when one is gonna kick off, esp with power outages....I just had a controller go bad & the temp dropped, didn't notice it right away, but they're ok now......with juvies, the feedings can be increased to 2-3x/day.....& adults do ok with no feed for short times...JMO,

Dottie ;)

Apistomaster
02-04-2008, 12:41 PM
I agree with 'doc. Make sure the discus eat the pellets first then feed once a day for 4-inch discus. It will cause no harm. Even two weeks without a water change is safe since you will be reducing the quantity of food added per day.

fatherfish
02-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Today I got the new feeder and I’m going to monitor it for proper function. As I’m testing it with flakes (I have cardinals too) I noticed the discus eating the flake, maybe I can get them on a flake diet until my return. Will flakes work just as well for discus?

greyhoundfan
02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
I've left my discus for 3 weeks with out food. NO problems. They were semi-adullts. 4"-5".

You could step up the feeding several weeks before you leave. Than taper feeding off. Stop feeding the two days before you leave. For the two days before your trip do as heavy of a W/C you can. I did 80% WCs two days up until my trip.

IMO better to have clean water than fed discus. You can also lower your temperature of your tank to 80degrees. This will slow down their metabolism and waste production.

These are the routines I adhere to and have not lost any fish during and after I come back from vacation.. (hear that)..that's me knocking on wood.

Don Trinko
02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Flakes are fine for discus. Look at the guaranteed analysis on the different types of food. Most frozen foods are over 90% water.
Don T.