PDA

View Full Version : Maracyn Plus?

judy
02-03-2008, 06:56 PM
So while in my LFS looking to stock the medicine cabinet just in case, I'm searchinbg for Maracyn and Maracyn 2 and all I can find is Maracyn PLus and of course the yound clerk has no idea what it all means.
Can anyone here enlighten me on the difference between the Maracyn Plus and the other two (one of which, I think, treats gram-negative, the other--- uh-- gram-positive bacteria?)

Graham
02-03-2008, 08:40 PM
So while in my LFS looking to stock the medicine cabinet just in case, I'm searchinbg for Maracyn and Maracyn 2 and all I can find is Maracyn PLus and of course the yound clerk has no idea what it all means.
Can anyone here enlighten me on the difference between the Maracyn Plus and the other two (one of which, I think, treats gram-negative, the other--- uh-- gram-positive bacteria?)

Maracyn Plus is Sulfadimidine and Trimethoprin........It kind of covers everything a real broad spectrum with a fancy way of getting on to the fish.
Maracyn is Erythromycin..............Gram Positive
Maracyn 2 is Minocycline ..............Gram Negative

I have not used M Plus but Maracyn/Erythromycin is not well absorbed by the fish and I find it kind of useless...M2 is just the opposite

G

judy
02-03-2008, 11:59 PM
excellent info, thanks, Graham!