PDA

View Full Version : Water barrel bacteria boom?

rlong
02-04-2008, 05:29 AM
Hi,
I cleaned my water barrel with bleach, scrubbing and then rinsed thoroughly. Several days later I noticed a white scum on the sides of the barrel. I scrubbed of this off in rinse the barrel again but within days the scum returned.

I got to thinking that this might be a bacterial bloom. I then then dosed the water in the barrel with MelaFix by API this is a antibacterial remedy for fish. Within 6 hours or so the water became cloudy been filled with debris. I emptied the barrel, scrubbed, rinsed and refilled. By the next day I could see areas that i missed. I redosed and rescrubbed, drained and refilled.

Do you think that this was a bacterial bloom?

dishpanhands
02-04-2008, 07:51 AM
ok I know you have chloramine in your water and if you are putting dechlor in your tank when you fill it. Then that is what you should get. the bacteria is eating the ammonia left from the chloramine..If you wait till and put the dechlor in the fish tank while you are filling them. the bloom in your storage will go away, but that means your bio filter in your tanks will have to work harder and you will need the right dechlor..

here is were I found that you have chloramine it is old but it still tells most..

http://www.mudomaha.com/water/citieswchloramines.html

HTH

bavaria36
02-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Does this mean that every time I effect a WC and add conditioner I am actually adding water that has a large amount of free Ammonia ? How long does it take the filter to catch up ?

I ask because my fish have become really skittish over the last few months and I have changed nothing in my setup. I change water at least 50% each day in all the tanks and I wonder if maybe the Chloramine level in the tap water has increased. Maybe the fish are being stressed every time I make a WC

Aaron

Graham
02-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi Aaron, It wouldn't be a large amount of ammonia, I forget the ratio but if you're not using a de-chlor that handles both chlorine and chloramines then yes you are hitting them low level ammonia with each water change. The nitrifiers then handle that ammonia

If your pH is down in the 7.2 or lower range then the ammonia is in the form of ammonium and is harmless.

G

bavaria36
02-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Graham,

I am using a declor that handles both - I use Tetra aquasafe. When this reacts with the chloramines does it result in the release of free Ammonia or are the Cl and NH3 both bound by the aquasafe ?

Aaron

Graham
02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Does the bottle actually state that it removes/binds chloramines?? The Tetra web site does not mention that

This is from thier web site

How it Works
AquaSafe contains special compounds that eliminate chlorine and bind up heavy metals. In addition, it contains colloids that coat the fish, protecting them against infection. AquaSafe also contains stress-reducing vitamins, and compounds that inhibit bacteria and fungi. All this means that your fish are well protected against the harmful effects of tap water, and the stress of water changes

bavaria36
02-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Does the bottle actually state that it removes/binds chloramines?? The Tetra web site does not mention that

This is from thier web site

Graham, the bottle specifically says that it removes heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines

aaron

Graham
02-04-2008, 11:58 PM
If it does as stated then the chlorine will be neutralized and the ammonia will be bound and changed chemically into another element. It will not be available to affect the fish.

bavaria36
02-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I had been under the impression that the ammonia was released into the water when the chloramine was broken up.

Aaron

dishpanhands
02-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I had been under the impression that the ammonia was released into the water when the chloramine was broken up.

Aaron

There is ammonia released. That is why it is important to use the right Dechlor you need one for the chloramine so it will bond to the ammonia untill your bio filter can change it to nitrate. Or you can use regular Dechlor in your storage tank and put a cycled filter in your storage tank to change the ammonia while its in there. Then you have to make sure you age it long enough.

HTH

Graham
02-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Remember that this is a chemical reaction and as much as it, the NH3, is released from the chlorine molecule, it's never available to affect the fish, it bound up instantly into another chemical.

G