PDA

View Full Version : bio filter crash!

subcooler
02-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I've been aging my water for 24 hr.'s-occasionally only 18 hr.'s(but always aging)! I've always used prime with no problems.
I've recently had a bio filtration crash & unsure what happened!
The only things that have been done diferently are:
1)switched to a large air disk(5")
2)had a air pump fail & still used the water(unsure how long with airation, before using for a 40% W/C)
Now the next day I tested tank parameters & find trace of Ammo (.25).12hr.'s later it's (.50).I immediately switched to twice daily 60% W/C to keep Ammo readings low.
I now realize how important testing for Chlorine is every day.
Has anyone ever heard of this happening while using Prime,aging water w/o any aeration?
Any input will be appreciated!
Rob

boxlotfish
02-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Subcooler: The usual ammonia treatments are only good for so long and then they break down. If your filter is absorbing ammonium that has been converted from ammonia then any trace chlorine will attach to the ammonium molicule. Killing the bacteria. Usually the very small amount of chlorine will not harm the fish but when it is concentrated in the filter then it will damage the bacteria.
I always use Fulvic acid in my tanks. It will convert all poisons including chlorine to a harmless state and feed the filter bacteria at the same time even acting like an antibiotic for the unwanted bacteria. I never have any problems with any of my fish since I have been using Fulvic for the past 8 years and my filters have never crashed. This is a secret that nobody seems to want to learn.

fishmama
02-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Where do you obtain Fulvic Acid??? Very interesting...

Graham
02-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Chlorine will not concentrate in any one spot. It will hit the tank and react, as it should, with anything available and dissapate very quickly or oxidize with whatever...needless to say a de-chlor should be used anytime chlorinated water is used. It will not combine itself with any NH3 or NH4 that maybe available in the tank. It will not form chloramines in your tank.:rolleyes: Ammonium also does not get absorbed into the filter....if you were using zeolite then yes it get absorbed into it...and stays there, unless you dump a pile of salt in

Fulvic acid isn't much more that tannins or tannic acid...add peat moss...the same thing and it's no antibiotic....by a long shot....acidic water

G

Myths:bandana::bandana:

subcooler
02-08-2008, 06:46 AM
This is all very nice to know , but the distressing fact here is:
I'm going away for a week soon & I again have a cycling tank on my hands:mad:
I have bought (SuperBac-nitrifying bacteria from LFS) which seemed like the best option they had) it had an expiration date(whatever that's worth!)
It said the usual speeds up the cycling process-like they all claim!
I'm ordering Bio-Spira when I get done venting here & hoping for a miracle!
Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Well let me get outta here-Have a great day all!
Rob

judy
02-08-2008, 01:23 PM
BioSpira should do the job... but so you don't worry, do you have anyone who can check your tank for you while you;re gone, running ammonia and nitrite tests and doing a WC if necessary?

subcooler
02-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I have a 19 y.o. daughter who is going to feed the fish for me.
Anyone with teenagers know's that this is enough of a chore for them!
I'm a bit concerned with her doing W/C's(alot could go wrong!)
I've tried to automate the W/C's as much as possible(powerhead in aging barrell to deliver new water & powerhead on exterior to vacuum bottom & remove water)
I only gotta count on her to fill barrell before empty & re-fill with prime treated water(without ever overflowing water across the living room!)
Bio spira is my only hope to prevent re-curring W/C's while on vacation(It's starting to sound like it ain't gonna be a real relaxing vacation!)
I'm gonna start this weekend having her do W/C's while I'm here-just in case!
I'll be praying alot!:angel:
Rob