PDA

View Full Version : Fulvic Acid

boxlotfish
02-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Hi: I would like to inform new Discus keepers about the benefits of using Fulvic acid in their tanks. This is a general concept since it deals with water quality, nutrition, diseases, filtration and just about anything else. After 8 years of using it in my tanks I have almost forgotten what it is like to have problems. Fulvic is a humate that has been used in agriculture for many years. It acts like salt without the salt since it is the worlds strongest natural electrolyte that acts like an antibiotic, anti-fungal, anti parasite. Fulvic feeds the fish with micro-minerals. Fulvic clumps organics to greatly improve filtration, feeding the filter at the same time. Fulvic neutralizes all poisons internal and external to the fish, improves plant life, "cures all diseases" and solves allmost all problems. I know this is saying a lot and nobody will believe me so I figure the unbelievers don't deserve to learn this, especially the old timers that think they know it all.

Graham
02-08-2008, 01:06 AM
:D:D:D:D

White Worm
02-08-2008, 03:49 AM
"cures all diseases" and solves allmost all problems. .

Come on...you actually believe this? Wheres the scientific research on fish? I would like to read that. :D

majik
02-08-2008, 05:41 AM
1st .what is fulvic acid?
2nd.how can 1 product treat say 2 issues that are pole oppisites?
3rd.the world is full of wonder cures

Hi im not poo pooing this but just find it very hard to believe, you dont seem to include any reasearch or facts in your post ?Is there any science to back up this theroy?

FishLover888
02-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Save your money and I can give you 1/2 price on my 'cures all' snake oil.

:D:D:D:D:D

devonpond
02-08-2008, 05:39 PM
I'd say the jury's still out on the fish-research front, but here's a recent article that supports beneficial effects on Rio Negro fish:

Link (http://iris.lib.neu.edu/getblob?blobid=2343486245650744)

"Dissolved humic substances (HSs) are taken up by
organisms and interact on various molecular and
biochemical levels. With two examples, we show that
HSs facilitate fish life in low pH and low calcium
waters and promote longevity by mild chemical stress.
We re-visit recent papers on fish adaptation in the
Amazonian Rio Negro and re-interpret the results on
the basis of the recent finding of gene control in the
nematode Caenorhabditis elegans."

boxlotfish
02-10-2008, 11:36 AM
devonpond: I did not want to respond to this posting but only make a statement to encourage anyone willing to study. This is an interesting article but it is based on stress factors indicating that HS would induce stress in all subjects. This is a false theory because HS actually reduce stress in a stressful environment depending on the subject of the stress as a "God given" environmental balance. It acts like an environmental regulator to get rid of negative environmental conditions and promote positive environmental conditions.

Graham
02-10-2008, 11:50 AM
:rolleyes: I just love it when peer reviewed published papers from researchers in universities are dismissed by a simple statement.

''...This is a false theory because HS actually reduce stress in a stressful environment depending on the subject of the stress as a "God given" environmental balance....''

HUH!............Please post your peer reviewed published science to back up your idea that the theory is false

:bandana:

boxlotfish
02-10-2008, 02:59 PM
You are right, I do not intend to teach anyone. I am just speaking from my own 8 years of experiences and research. There are no research papers regarding humates relative to tropical fish. I can give you a few links to study but the bulk of the research has been based on soil applications, knowledge base is vast, but limited. It is kinda like, is there such a thing as pH without a reagent to test for it?

http://www.hagroup.neu.edu/abouthafrm.htm

http://www.enerex.ca/articles/fulvic_humic_acid.pdf

judy
02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
and if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound if there is no one around to hear it?
a quick glance at these papers tells me there's a lot of mumbo-jumbo out there that consists mostly of pseudo-science larded with footnotes to make it sound more impressive. That Enerex document.... oh, please...

White Worm
02-10-2008, 06:05 PM
If you notice, the research on most of these articles was in the mid to late 90's when everyone was trying to sell the next magic elixir to make money. Nearly 10 years ago and It looks like the fad wore off and they moved on to the next miracle cure. Its a simple electrolyte that helps the uptake of nutrients according to many articles. Its not the cure to everything....not even close.

majik
02-10-2008, 10:55 PM
well ive read all the links provided and im sorry to say i wont be changing the way i run my tanks.
I am open to new ideas and products but i want the science to back these up.
Im a hairdresser have been for 20 yrs and ive seen heaps of magic cures for baldness,greying etc we still have bald,grey people go figure?
I do think however that if you really believe a "placebo"to work then if thats what floats your boat go ahead but i know myself i would take the advice of those "old timers that know everything"over putting my faith in fluvic acid any day :)