PDA

View Full Version : They are eating!

happygirl65
02-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I am happy to report that my 4 discus are now eating....well most of them are anyway, and the largest one got a little territorial about the food chasing the others away.

This feeding was tetra color bits (soaked until soft first) and they seemed to really like them.

Two of the four are still a little dark colored but two have brightened up considerably.

One of the two dark ones is struggling though, he/she had the worst of the fin damage. It seems the two side fins are about half the size of the other healthier looking fish and it is struggling to stay upright, but it is not hiding much so I am hopeful that he will continue to recover.

I am ordering some frozen food today so hopefully I can get them to eat a little more. :)

two utes
02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Sorry to read about your bad experiance with your first batch of discus. Don't be too hard on yourself though. Notch it up as a learning experiance and move forward.:thumbsup:

Maybe you can post some pictures of them at some stage.

Enjoy!

happygirl65
02-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Definitely a learning exp. You are so right. All I can do is move forward now. I am still excited to have some discus even if they did get beat up on the way here. I will make sure to do things differently next time.

I am trying to get pictures but they are still shy when I come close. My camera is just a point and shoot, so they never come out very good, but I will try to post some soon. :)

happygirl65
02-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Well, here are a couple of pictures. I have been calling this little guy Rocky because he got off to a rocky start.

One of the others started picking on him and he started turning darker so I removed him to a 10 gallon all by himself. In one picture you can see how he has trouble swimming upright, and in the other you can see how much of his fins were damaged.

He actually started eating after I put him in the 10 gal. I also added some salt.

It's just wait and see now I guess. He was laboring to breath off and on, he seems a little better in the 10g by himself but I have been keeping it dark except when feeding.

two utes
02-09-2008, 12:24 AM
I hope 'Rocky' pulls through for you. That's great news that he is eating.....it's a good start to his recovery.:)

judy
02-09-2008, 12:54 PM
That poor little guy! Get some weight on him, keep up with the WCs and the salt. Maybe a slightly highter temperature, too, when you have him eating consistently and well, to help speed his metabolism to heal. Those big eyes could well mean he's already been badly stunted, growthwise and he may be a runt forever-- but you may be able to make him a fiesty, healthy runt.
It infuriates me to see fish in this kind of shape and know some scumball out there is just in it to make a big buck and doesn't give a damn about the fish...

aquagal
02-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Poor guys. The one in the first picture looks emaciated to me...a good indication that he already has problems. I am so shocked that they would send out a fish that looked like this.

Good luck!

happygirl65
02-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Poor guys. The one in the first picture looks emaciated to me...a good indication that he already has problems. I am so shocked that they would send out a fish that looked like this.

Good luck!

Yea I know. I thought it was all due to shipping damage but now I don't think so. Believe it or not both of those above pics are the same fish. He was the only one who was brave enough or slow enough to let me take a picture. And he had the most visable damage so I can tell him apart really easily.

Here are a couple more of the other ones I could get a pic of.
One has a white spot on its body that I am concerned about. It doesnt appear to be scratching on anything so I don't know if it is damage or something else.

Also these were all supposed to be juvienile 2" ruby red mosaics. I paid their "sale price" of $17 each...I sure wish I had used a sponsor now :(

judy
02-09-2008, 05:07 PM
That white spot could be evidence of bacterial infection. Watch it closely. If it worsens or you see more, you will need to medicate them, probably with a combo of maracyn and maracyn 2. Both are tolerated well by fish, and even given their weakened state, it might be better to treat at that point rather than hope their own immune systems can get healthy enough fast enough to cope.
I recently used Maracyn Plus for a minor bacterial situation that semed to be precipitated by the death of a betta in the main tank-- I suspect the betta had a low-grade infection that eventually must have killed him, and I don't know how long his little corpse sat there until I saw him first thing in the morning and fished him out.
Anyway, the Maracyn Plus was very well tolerated and very effective. One of my fish had developed a small raised white spot like yours. A couple others showed very light touches of "fin rot"-- spines going white at the tips and a bit of discus slime "off-gassing".
Three treatments of the Plus cleared all up.
But your guys may need some time just to settle before meds. You may have a huge task before you-- but then again, they may bounce back once they've spent enough time in clean water with good food.

happygirl65
02-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Two are coming out now and swimming up front until I get close then they dart back to the plants.
I will keep an eye on the white spot as well as the other fish. Little Rocky is not doing too well. I have been changing his water 60% per day. He ate a little yesterday but nothing today. I think I may lose that one.
The three that remain in the larger tank seem to be getting used to the place. One of them keeps hiding and defending his territory behind the large amazon sword plant. Here is a pic from a distance. And one closer up...I had to sneak up really slowly to get these.

qoperator
02-09-2008, 08:25 PM
I hope the little guys pull through. Keep that water as clean as possible.

I have to say something sounds phishy?

happygirl65
02-09-2008, 10:10 PM
I hope the little guys pull through. Keep that water as clean as possible.

I have to say something sounds phishy?

It does indeed! ;) wink wink nudge nudge know what I mean

happygirl65
02-09-2008, 10:42 PM
I think they are starting to recognize that seeing me equals food! :) I have been dropping in some kind of food everytime I approach and tonight they didn't even hide for my husband they just looked at me like.....where is it? So I gave them some more....:) I am hopeful that at least these three will be just fine.
Little Rocky though just seems so lonely now. He is still swimming but staying mostly in the same area and did not eat today. :( Realistically he might be knocking on heavens door.

2sybs
02-10-2008, 05:29 AM
I think most of us knew where you got them. :mad:
I just hope you have better luck with those others than I had.
What is the temp in Rocky's tank?
Are you treating with anything besides salt yet?
and what are you feeding?
Ray

Kindredspirit
02-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I am ordering some frozen food today so hopefully I can get them to eat a little more. :)

You're A Good Man Charlie Brown:D....for not giving up on these guys!

Can you get cbw?

happygirl65
02-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Rocky's temp is 84 right now. I am trying to raise it very slowly. I am not sure how quickly I can raise it without stressing him and this heater seems to take a while to increase temp also. He seems to be staying upright better now, but he is a really dark grey color now.

I am feeding tetra color bits right now since that is the only one he ate before. I have also tried freeze dried blood worms, flakes, and a shrimp pellet. He has not touched any of them since the first day when I put him in the 10g.

I am keeping the salt up, but have not used any other medications.

His fins seem to be healing but he is looking so skinny. His breathing seems a lot better but not really normal I don't think. And his two side fins still seem like they are about half the width that they should be.

I don't know what cbw is?

I have ordered frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms. I ordered from Drfostersmith on friday so I will probably get them tomorrow or Tuesday. I am going to the LFS tomorrow (it is 100 miles away) just incase it takes longer to get than I expected. All they sell is frozen brine shrimp but I was told they were eating the freeze dried blood worms and brine shrimp before they shipped.
So I keep feeding and then leaving him alone for a while (about 1/2 hour) I have counted the number of pellets I put in so I know if any are missing. :( Then I come back and check. After about an hour I siphon the food back out and try again an hour later. I have been doing this about 6 times a day and changing his water about 60% once a day.

The water is well water so no chlorine or any other additives and is 7.2 pH which is the same as the tank so I just warm it to the right temp (testing in a small bucket before adding to the tank).

I don't really know what else to do for him. I keep trying to get a good pic of him but it's not easy because he blends into the black background of the tank and my camera can't really find him to focus well. I will post what I have in a minute though.

judy
02-10-2008, 02:57 PM
All good moves on your part.
He is very dark indeed. See if the LFs has the Maracyn products in stock-- Maracyn 1, Maracyn 2, and MAracyn PLus. If so, get some of each. He will be very prone to bacterial infections in his weakened state, and if he's eating some, the antibiotics will help fight off any infections he may be battling at this point.
Know this: you are doing everything possible to save him. If you do lose him, it will *not* be your fault.
CBW is California black worms. No point in trying to source those just yet, though. He will be more willing to eat what he's familiar with.
Is he eating any of the Tetrabits?

Elite Aquaria
02-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I am so sorry for the misfortune with your fish...Hang in there...

happygirl65
02-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Well it looks like Rocky is picking at the bits. I dropped them right in front of him a while ago, and he looked at them for a while, picked at one, stirred them around but it doesnt look like he really ate any. :( He did the first day I put him in there but not since as far as I can tell.

I also just lost one of the three in the larger tank. It was the one with the white spot. :(
I just did a 60% wc on that tank and the other two are eating the freeze dried blood worms and tetra bits.

The larger one is always chasing the smaller one out of his area now. Both of them are brightening up quite a bit although the smallest one seems more comfortable and is now begging for food whenever I come near. I keep giving it as much as it wants....well, little amts lots of times per day like 6 times a day right now.

I am now thinking that I will need to order some more because I have heard they don't do well in smaller groups and if the larger one starts picking at the littler one I might lose another.

judy
02-10-2008, 03:46 PM
you're right about that-- you will want to order a few more discus at some point, but right now, just concentrate on working with these guys. You may need to put a divider in the larger tank to keep the fighting down (egg crate, they call it, at Home Depot-- its that plastic honeycomb open-weave stuff used on fluorescent light housings). The other thing you might consider is putting all three in the small tank; rocky may feel better with a little company and the fighting between the other two may decrease. Also, it's easier to do those WCs in the smaller tank... and medicating them all together for possible bacterial infections might be a wise idea at this point.
Right now, though, you don't want to expose any additional fish to any pathogens these little guys might be battling.
The ******* who sold you those poor fish ought to be hung by his toenails...

aquagal
02-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Why doesn't anyone report them to the Better Business Bureau...?

two utes
02-10-2008, 04:32 PM
We are all cheering for 'Rocky'. Lucky he's got 'Florence Nightingale' by his side. Well done to you for your effort!
And good luck:thumbsup:

happygirl65
02-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Why doesn't anyone report them to the Better Business Bureau...?

Good idea. I think I am going to TRY to talk to them and see if they have any explanation or want to try to make it right in some way.

I was hoping to wait until they refunded me for the DOA fish but now I am not sure if they ever will. I just sent an email to followup on my refund and have not received a response. I was more than fair and quite nice about it all things considered. I will let you know what they say.

Here is the latest pic of the two remaining in the 46 gal tank. They have eaten 3 times so far today.

judy
02-10-2008, 06:34 PM
They are looking much better! Good work, Florence Nightingale...

Kindredspirit
02-11-2008, 03:27 AM
CBW is California black worms. No point in trying to source those just yet, though. He will be more willing to eat what he's familiar with.

Not true. Live foods, esp cbw are a great incentive for ill fish, IME:D

judy
02-11-2008, 12:09 PM
But: this discus owner lives in a small town in very, very rural Montana. Where in Montana do you think she could get CBW? I've been to Montana. It has more bison than people.
And how do you imagine she could ship any to her tiny town in the middle of pretty much nowhere? This little fish would be long dead by the time that got sorted out.

Kindredspirit
02-11-2008, 12:26 PM

But location was not what you stated was the issue, was it? That'd be a No.:)

Oh. And Dan here, a sponsor, for a long time, ships cbw ~ :D

http://aquaticfoods.com/index.html

Over night delivery too, can you believe that?

judy
02-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Well, answering the point...
Knowing how hard it is to get even healthy fish interested in new foods, I can't imagine this little guy would be willing to try anything new. He's been sufficiently traumatized that the familiar is much more likely to appeal, or to at least get him to recognize in a foggy fishy way that this is food and he has eaten it before, so maybe he can again...

White Worm
02-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Dont ever mix these fish with any new ones. You have done as good as you can with these.
I agree with live food helping them to eat. Couldnt hurt...and while you are waiting, feed what they are used to. The "live" fish were delivered to rural Montana so I am thinking that a shipment of live foods would be able to reach you.

Kindredspirit
02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
The "live" fish were delivered to rural Montana so I am thinking that a shipment of live foods would be able to reach you.

;)

KJoFan
02-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Whether you do or don't decide to get the cbw's, just don't expect them to be the magic bullet that will cure everything.

You're doing a great job with them so far, always a shame when someone's first discus experience has to start out as an uphill battle.

But just think, if your fish ever get sick again, you'll know what to do! :)

Kindredspirit
02-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Whether you do or don't decide to get the cbw's, just don't expect them to be the magic bullet that will cure everything.

Karen is exactly right!!:) They are not the "magic bullet" ~ they are worms, not medicine.

But they can build strength and stamina due to eating ~ and on the road to recovery ~ he will be stronger to fight.:)

happygirl65
02-11-2008, 09:26 PM
All good points on the CBW and I have contacted the afore mentioned sponsor. :) I am looking into it. :) Got some medicine today (Maracyn and Maracyn2) so hopefully that will help as well.

Kindredspirit
02-11-2008, 10:13 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_105.gif

A quick learner. And an open mind ~ way to go!

Best of luck to you! Dan is a great person to work with IME~

happygirl65
02-11-2008, 10:15 PM
I am in very rural Montana....oh boy is it ever...I just went to town today to get the fish meds and it is about 100 miles one way. There are 3 LFS in town, not one sells cbw. :( Just frozen brine shrimp. And if I can get him to eat that and the color bits then I think I will call it good for now.

Well, It appears that Rocky has eaten a little bit today (yeah!) and he seems to be a little brighter in color. Maybe it's my imagination but he is picking at even more food as we speak! :)

I have not administered the meds yet. I am wondering whether I should just treat him alone in the 10g and see if it helps before treating the other tank. Or if I should move the other two discus in there and treat them all at the same time.

The other two appear to be healthy and are eating 6 times a day. One occasionally chases the other but otherwise they seem fine.

Discus community....What say you??? What would you do?

White Worm
02-11-2008, 10:20 PM
I'd go with the 10g alone option if the others seem fine at this point.

two utes
02-11-2008, 10:27 PM
You are doing well!

IMO. If the other fish are looking well and eating, l would leave them there.
Consentrate on Rocky in his 10g tank on his own.:)

happygirl65
02-11-2008, 11:06 PM
I agree with you guys at this point. :) I just put the meds (Maracyn and Maracyn 2) in the 10g tank according to all instructions.

I am hopeful that he will pull through. I can't beleive I am getting so attached to the little guy already...:) I think Rocky is a good name for him, he is such a little fighter! :) His tail fin seems almost completely healed now, definitely visible growth. His side fins are still long and thin though....strange.

judy
02-11-2008, 11:23 PM
yes, if the other two are fine and eating well, concentrate on Rocky-- it sounds as if there's some improvement, so keep at it!

happygirl65
02-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Do I continue heavy water changes during medication?

Maybe it's too soon to tell but Rocky looks a little more comfortable this morning. He is picking at his food...not really eating it though :(

But I know when I am sick I don't feel like eating so.....we will see I guess. :)

OK first pic is the larger one. This is the one that is chasing the other, not all the time but especially at feeding time. It seems to have some cottony spots on the top fins. I am not sure if this is a fungus? Or still healing fins that were badly damaged in shipping? The second pic is both of the two in the 46 gal tank. The little one seems to be doing the best of all of them and certainly is putting on some weight.

The third pic is Rocky this morning. His color is improving and his breathing seems MUCH more comfortable. :) This is after 1 day of treatment so I am hopeful he will continue to get better. Should I continue to do large water changes during medication though? I need to add more every 24 hours, so perhaps 50-60% right before meds each night?

judy
02-12-2008, 03:42 PM
that sounds about right on the WCs.
The cottony stuff popping up on the one on the main tank is one reason I was thinking you might want to put them all in the small tank and medicate them all... between the two maracyns, they combat a very wide range of both gram negative and gram positive bacterial infections. and all these guys were stressed enough that opportunistic infections would be pretty much a sure thing...
not too late to move them over. You'd just need to do an additional med dose at the end of the cycle to make sure your other two got a full round of meds...

happygirl65
02-12-2008, 04:01 PM
that sounds about right on the WCs.
The cottony stuff popping up on the one on the main tank is one reason I was thinking you might want to put them all in the small tank and medicate them all... between the two maracyns, they combat a very wide range of both gram negative and gram positive bacterial infections. and all these guys were stressed enough that opportunistic infections would be pretty much a sure thing...
not too late to move them over. You'd just need to do an additional med dose at the end of the cycle to make sure your other two got a full round of meds...

Thank you! :) I think I will do that....

OK I did it. They are all three in with Rocky now.....and RIGHT AWAY he perked up and started swimming all over with them and eating! I watched all three of them eat in fact. The move didn't seem to stress the other two at all....So far so good. I did the wc right before putting them in and acclimated them by adding some of the QT tank water every few minutes since there is salt and meds in there. :) They seem happy :)

judy
02-12-2008, 05:37 PM
That's wonderful!! I wondered if being alone may not have contributed to his malaise a bit.
Bear in mind you are now re-beginning the med cycle for them. Watch over them as tenderly as you have been and I am sure, if there's a gilled God, they will all pull through...

happygirl65
02-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I am wondering if I should do the day 1 treatment again...since one of the meds said to use 2 doses the first day then one every 24 hrs for the next 5 days.

It probably wouldn't hurt...??

UPDATE: The frozen foods finally arrived! YIPEE! I just gave them some frozen brine shrimp and you would think none of them had eaten all day long! They are devouring it! Maybe I can fatten them up yet! :)

judy
02-12-2008, 08:22 PM
do a very large WC before you repeat the initial treatment. and keep an eye on rocky. if he reacts badly, you may need to pop him into themain tank by his lonesome for twelve hours or so, until the meds level drops down...
but it sounds like they are progressing, and that is so great! Good work, Florence NIghtingale!

happygirl65
02-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Maybe I will just continue on schedule and plan for a second treatment if it doesnt cure them all. :) I don't want to OD the little guy. :) I think maybe treating for an extra day like you mentioned before would be a good plan. And then have more meds on hand just incase I need another course. I did a 60% wc right before I put the other two in with Rocky. I will post more pics tomorrow and let you know how they are doing. :)

judy
02-13-2008, 12:13 AM
That's probably a wise idea... you wouldn't want to risk over-medding the little guy. I hope they keep getting better for you. Keep us posted, we're all rooting for you-- and them.
Amazing how three little hurt fish can get us all holding our breaths and crossing our fingers. But these fish are special, aren't they?

happygirl65
02-13-2008, 10:25 AM
I sure appreciate the support! :) If I didn't have this forum I might have given up on these little guys and possibly future discus. So I am in your debt.

I agree with you, these are special fish (all discus are) and I went through a lot to get them and even more AFTER I got them.

It is also amazing how attached one can get to any creature that you have to nurse back to health. I guess because you then have an emotional investment in their survival but then I am no psycologist...lol.

I do know that I have never been attached to a fish like this before and I have had lots of fish over the years.

I can only imagine how much I will love some future healthy ones. :)

As an update on their condition, I have not turned on their lights yet but before bed last night they were fed the frozen brine shrimp again and they ate a lot more. I have not had to vaccuum any leftovers out because there were no leftovers....lol.

judy
02-13-2008, 11:02 AM
I bet you slept very well after seeing them eat like that!
Remember frozen brine shrimp don't have a ton of nutritional value, so try varying the diet during the day and offering small amount of the other food you have available. Once they are eating well, they will eat other stuff, too.
It sound like you're well on the road to getting these guys healthy. They better love you for it, and someday give you grandfishes!

happygirl65
02-13-2008, 12:20 PM
I bet you slept very well after seeing them eat like that!
Remember frozen brine shrimp don't have a ton of nutritional value, so try varying the diet during the day and offering small amount of the other food you have available. Once they are eating well, they will eat other stuff, too.
It sound like you're well on the road to getting these guys healthy. They better love you for it, and someday give you grandfishes!

Awww, gradnfishies....the very idea makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. lol

I have been feeding the tetra bits mostly since that is what they would eat and now that I have the frozen foods they are really more interested in eating.

Rocky is having a triumphant return. After just 2 days of meds he is now refusing to be pushed around by the bigger discus now in HIS tank....lol.

And this is a black tank, with NO flash and you can still see the colors and brightness returning! I am so happy! :D

I got a pic this morning that shows how much better he looks. The others are camera shy but Rocky was not letting anything get in between him and his food this morning! I fed frozen blood worms this am and they seem to like it...Rocky is eating the lions share! :) It makes me so happy!
In this pic Rocky is the one on the left eating! The other two are eating also but he is the most serious about it. :)

judy
02-13-2008, 12:33 PM
he's catchin' up after a long fast! That is GREAT!:bounce::bounce::bounce::sun:

happygirl65
02-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Do you think water changes will be taking the meds back out of the water? I am trying to do them just before its time to put in the next dose but today I had to do it sooner. Adding the two discus to the tank cause a slight ammonia spike. :( (about .25) so I did a 50% change and it was about 5 hours before time to do the next dose.

judy
02-13-2008, 07:07 PM
well, most antibiotics lose their full impact after about 12 hours, and since your doses are 24 hours apart, roughly (is it once daily you dose?) then you weren't losing much of the kick the meds provide.

happygirl65
02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
oh good! :) phew...that makes me feel better. (Yes it is every 24 hrs) They sure do love those daily water changes :)

krandrus
02-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Tori,

They are looking much better. I am so happy to read that they are eating so well. I read this after my PM, so I guess things are much better than I assumed.

Once you are through medicating, make sure that you have some aquarium salt on hand. This will inhibit any opportunistic bugs from hitting your discus while they recover.

Kevin

Elite Aquaria
02-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Tori,

Rocky looks much better in that last picture...I am glad they are all starting to eat better...

two utes
02-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi Tori. How is Rocky looking today? From the last photo you posted,he really looks like he's going to make it.
you have been very patient and have done a teriffic job.
Good on you!:thumbsup:

happygirl65
02-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Rocky is doing well. He is standing his ground against the other two discus and they all take turns chasing each other...most of the time they hang out together and get along great and then suddenly for no apparent reason one will start chasing the others. All three (Rocky included) are eating well. :) yeah! They quickly consume everything I give them. :)

Rocky's color now looks just like the other two. In fact, the only way I can tell him apart from the other one of the same size is by the ragged fins.

They seem to be putting on a little weight. :) They still don't look fat and happy quite yet but I believe they are on their way. I am still doing the meds right now. And changing the water twice a day now 40 - 50% each time. The 2 added fish and all of the feedings have made it necessary in a 10 g tank. ;)

I would have to say at this point that discus are the biggest poop producing fish I have ever had that was not a pleco species. lol.

Elite Aquaria
02-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Glad the fish are doing better....that is why we advocate BB tanks....;)

happygirl65
02-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I can totally see that now, it is way easy to siphon the poo off the bottom in a bb tank....lol

judy
02-15-2008, 11:31 AM
happily, WCs in ten gallons is not a huge chore! Great to hear they're coming along well. That was a good save you made on them!!

happygirl65
02-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Hey thanks! :) I do feel pretty good about it. I have the 10 g tank on my kitchen counter too so it is super easy to do all the wc I need to do. ;)

Here is a new pic of the little guys this was this morning right after their water change. Rocky is the one on the top right portion of the pic. :)

judy
02-15-2008, 05:14 PM
They look fantastic, given their shaky start!:D:D:D:D:D

two utes
02-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Way to go 'Florence Nightingale':angel:

Elite Aquaria
02-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Keep up the great work Tori...

happygirl65
02-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Here is another update. :) They are getting better all the time :) The cottony patches on the larger one's fins are gone and the fins are healing. :)

There are a couple of pictures here. It is getting increasingly difficult to tell Rocky apart from the others and they are so active that I have a hard time getting a really clear pic :) The blurry one is just to show you how much better their coloring is. :)

The other one is showing how much they like the one plant I put in with them. I was hoping a hiding spot would give them a little more security. :) They seem to really enjoy it. :)

judy
02-16-2008, 03:04 PM
that is so terrific... they're looking better and better. keep posting pics; I feel a sense of distant ownership in a strange way, as if we've all shared in your challenge...

happygirl65
02-16-2008, 04:35 PM
That is so nice :) It has really helped to keep me going knowing that others out there care about this struggle I have been going through. It makes it all feel worth it though to see them looking so much better and healing and growing. They don't look so starved anymore. :) It is amazing what a week and a half can do! ;)

I am getting my 90 gallon tank soon so after that is set up I will move all the fish over from the 46 and these three can have free run of that tank for a while :)

Is it my imagination or could they be showing me their bright colors because they are happy? They seem to get brighter everytime I give them the frozen blood worms....now their fav! :)

BSW
02-17-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm so glad they are doing much, much better !
YES, their colors are starting to really come out.
They should gain weight quickly now.
Great job pulling these guy's through.
B

happygirl65
02-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Thank you to all of you! :) They just seem to keep getting better. :)

I am wondering if I should treat for flukes or worms or anything while I still have them in the QT tank?

They don't appear to have any residual problems and have not really ever had scratching or anything like that.

Their poop just looks like regular poop brown/dark brown.

I am hoping to get them back into the 46 gal this week since it is so much easier to maintain than the 10 gal.

What would everyone recommend?

judy
02-19-2008, 04:17 PM
This is SUCH good news, and i was having such a lousy day that you've made it all much nicer (cat,diabetes, sugars still not controlled, bladder infection, discovery of disgusting secret pee place he must have been using for some time, judging by the drenched cardboard boxes and soaked carpet, ewwwwwwwwwwww).
If you can manage it, I would keep them in the ten gallon for at least another week. Make sure their health has settled in well, before moving them, so you won't have to think about moving them back into the ten for another round of meds at some point.
This will also make it easier for you to keep close watch on the poop detail.... and make sure both ends of the fish are working as they should be (which will mean the middle's very likely in good shape, too) !

happygirl65
02-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Well I could only manage a couple more days. It was becoming too much work in the 10 gal with those three little poop machines! ;) I was fighting more ammonia everyday and having to change their water 3 x a day.
They are all happy back in the 46 gallon now :) Here is a pic of Rocky this morning. He is still the bravest of all even though he is the little guy! Not a great picture as I am not a great photographer and just have a point and shoot but you can see how far he has come. :)

judy
02-21-2008, 06:46 PM
has he ever! You've done it, Florence Nightingale! Saved a creature in distress (and two others, too..)

two utes
02-21-2008, 09:56 PM
What an experiance that would have been for you. Well done! you have had a good outcome...Florence.:D

happygirl65
02-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks so much you guys! I think it was a mixture of luck, perseverence and a load of good advice from the caring people here on this board!

I heard and read for years about how difficult discus are but so far I don't think they are. They have one very cool thing going for them...if you really look at them and watch them, they tell you when they need something.

Their color seemed to say it all. If they were looking a little bit darker I would check things out and sure enough they would need a water change. If they started chasing each other more a good feed was in order (or at least a good distraction).

Of course it helped that I was able to watch them all of my waking hours of the day. That is why I put them in the kitchen... as a mom of 3 young kids I spend MOST of my time in there...lol.

I have never observed the personality traits that these guys have with any other fish. The experience taught me a lot about who to buy from and what to look for. I love discus now even more than ever. :)

I have now named one of the other discus Bullwinkle (corny huh....."Hey Rocky watch me pull a blood worm outta my hat!" :) )