PDA

View Full Version : PVC cement-anyone have problems concerning Bio filter?

subcooler
02-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I recently used 1/2 " PVC to pipe water from storage barrell into tank.
After cementing the pipe I rinsed it off in hot water(from a instant hot dispenser).I let it sit overnight & then used it for next water change.
I saw nitrates start to drop from 5ppm.I also started getting an Ammo reading!!
Apparently screwed up bio filter:confused:
The only other change was a temporary loss of aeration in storage tank overnight(still used the water for 50% W/C).
I've always used Prime & was under the impression that would remove the chlorine/chloramine with or without aeration.
I'm going on vacation soon & am stressing over being away with this minor ammo reading crap going on!:mad:
Well that's another problem-just wondering if anybody has ever effected bio filter with PVC cement?
Really trying to identify the cause & never go through this again!
Any input would be appreciated!
Rob

Graham
02-09-2008, 11:13 AM
The PVC cement shouldn't have had any affect on the bio. and the Prime will work regardless of whether there's air running

:confused:

Ardan
02-09-2008, 01:07 PM
What type of test kit are you using? Most reagent type kits give a false reading for ammonia when using prime.

Seachem makes a test kit that will give accurate results when using prime and read "free " ammonia, NH3.

hth
Ardan

jnguyen4007
02-09-2008, 11:34 PM
PVC cement, once dry and it dries almost instantaneously, has no affect to your tank of what so ever. I use Amquel plus. It gets rid of chlorine and chloramine as well as ammonia.

subcooler
02-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all the input.
I didn't think either PVC cement or lack of air in storage barrell could cause problem-just baffled as to why I'm reading Ammo:confused:
I'm using an API master test kit.
I've been in contact with one of the sponsors here & he suspected it was also just a false reading caused by Prime.He had me test aging water in barrell-No Ammo reading
I honestly can not think of anything else that has changed here in the last week.
I went on Seachem site & read about Prime.They claim it can removes Ammo/Chlorine/Chloramine & detoxify Nitrites/Nitrates to aid biofiltration.
I was surprised to see they recommend using half strength if tank temp is 86 degrees.I've been using capful per 50g(tank @ 86).
Any suggestions on best course of action while getting Ammo reading(.5ppm) & waiting for cycling product to take off?
I wanna keep doing W/C's to lower Ammo reading-SuperBac(cycling aid) recommends "no W/C's for 5 days after applying product".
Thanks again for your input!
Rob

Ardan
02-10-2008, 12:29 PM
I would get the Seachem ammonia test kit and take a reading.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+4382&pcatid=4382
Ardan

judy
02-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Prime at half-strength if tank is 86? Wow, I did not know that. I have been using it full strength--I hope my biofilter's not been impaired by that!

Graham
02-10-2008, 12:58 PM
before anyone goes cutting doses in half the fine print should be read...this is from the Seachem web site

For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

subcooler
02-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Prime at half-strength if tank is 86? Wow, I did not know that. I have been using it full strength--I hope my biofilter's not been impaired by that!
Judy-I'm not trying to imply that using it @ full strength will cause any kind of problem(just noting what I read while looking into manufacturers info on Prime)
I'm still unsure what happened to bio filtration here!
I certainally don't want to mislead anyone.
I highly doubt that Prime,PVC cement or lack of airation in storage barrell had anything to do with problem-They are just the only things done differently?
If I ever figure out what realy happened I'll update this thread!
ARDAN-I'll be looking for the Seachem Ammo test kit today!
Thanks for your help!
Rob

judy
02-10-2008, 03:05 PM
"If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose."
So then my tap water, which has no ammonia but does have the usual enthusiastic civic-minded water department's infusion of chlorine and chloramine, should receive full dose amounts when I do the WCs....
I have also read that double-dosing Prime can "lock up" dangerous nitrite levels in a tank that's running thorugh a mini-cycle for some reason...

Graham
02-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Judy If Seachem doesn't really understand how it works, then I personally would not rely on it for NO2 problems....a bit of salt will protect the fish from it till the nitrifiers catch up. NO3 a water change, clears it

Q: How does Prime make a difference in reducing Nitrates?
A: The detoxification of nitrite and nitrate by Prime (when used at elevated levels) is not well understood from a mechanistic standpoint. The most likely explanation is that the nitrite and nitrate is removed in a manner similar to the way ammonia is removed; i.e. it is bound and held in a inert state until such time that bacteria in the biological filter are able to take a hold of it, break it apart and use it. Two other possible scenarios are reduction to nitrogen (N2) gas or conversion into a benign organic nitrogen compound.
I wish we had some more "concrete" explanation, but the end result is the same, it does actually detoxify nitrite and nitrate. This was unexpected chemically and thus initially we were not even aware of this, however we received numerous reports from customers stating that when they overdosed with Prime they were able to reduce or eliminate the high death rates they experienced when their nitrite and nitrate levels were high. We have received enough reports to date to ensure that this is no fluke and is in fact a verifiable function of the product.

judy
02-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Oh, I know--I looked up Seachem and read that passage when I heard this. I wouldn't rely on it for proteciton against nitrite spikes! With proper maintenance, that kind of stop-gap gamble isn't necessary-- but it is interesting... you kind of have to wonder what other effects it may be having unbeknownst to those who invented it!