PDA

View Full Version : Breeding in bare bottom

Drewster116
02-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi, I'm Andrew from Maine. I've been keeping discus for about 2 years now and have a pair of discus which were the first two I bought. They spawned about 11 times and never got fry but the eggs last from 8hours up to 2 days. So I ended up putting the pair back in with my other discus in the 125gallon tank to give them a break but now 4 months later they seem to want to spawn again so this time I'd like to try and go Bare bottom. But i don't have a clue of what to do. Do bare bottom tanks cycle? and stay stable? any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

B-O-F
02-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi, Do bare bottom tanks cycle? and stay stable? :)

Hi Andrew.
From that one sentence I would guess that you are running an undergravel filter ? If so then no, a BB tank will not cycle with it. You will need to run a canister filter, or sump, or sponge filter etc

Drewster116
02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
no undergravel filter i havent even set the tank up yet just trying figer it out so i can :) thanks I ordered a Sponge filter was looking for a breeding cone but couldnt find a good one i wish the pet shops around here carried them. also is a 20gallon big enough for the pair?

Tropical Haven
02-09-2008, 06:47 PM
If you can, go with a 29 gallon for the pair.