PDA

View Full Version : frys dying off one by one

aznboystyl3
02-09-2008, 01:38 PM
so my leapords breed again and they have frys again. but the only thing is the frys fall of my pvc pipe where the eggs were laid on one by one. I was there for like 1 minute and i saw two fall off. the parents dont even try to pick them up. i dont even know if they noticed them falling.

i lowered the water level and had a bright light show in the tank so the frys can see the parents.

why are they not picking up the frys?

can it be the light? New parents? water quality? (which i lowered and added about 5 gallons),

aznboystyl3
02-09-2008, 01:44 PM
oh by the way i noticed that the leapords are not as dark as before but they still fan the pvc pipe. but occasionally the female will turn dark. the male never really

kaceyo
02-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Is it time for the wrigglers to come off the cone? That's usually the 3rd day but can be the second. Are the wrigglers trying to swim around or are they just falling and laying there? If they aren't moving there may be a problem with the fry. Sometimes new parents need to see them moving around before they catch on to what's happening or they just need to go through a few spawns before their instincts take over.
I'm sure they can see the fry if you can. Give them some time to catch on to the whole process. It may take a few spawns.

Kacey

aznboystyl3
02-09-2008, 10:23 PM
ya see i understand that this is the second time that these pairs had frys so giving time is definately an idea but it sucks. Theres got to be other things i can do.

the frys just hatched and they should be swimming in two days after hatching. well this is about 1 day and a little more. i dont know if they are trying to swim around but it looks more like they just swim off for like one eighth of an inch and then drop straight down.
they are alive on the ground

whats going on?

is this common that the parents dont pick up the frys?

aznboystyl3
02-10-2008, 11:28 PM
okay so i went home yesterday and did a water change. there were some good frys which the parents would pick up and spit back at the pvc pipe. i woke up the next day all the babys even the ones on the floor were gone. i guess the parents ate them.

but what should i do next time. water change every time? could it be the ammonia?

i just read another post. the warmer your water is, the fast the hatch time. i think i might try this.

any other tips for me to have the frys attach to the parents instead of falling to the ground and die?

kaceyo
02-10-2008, 11:41 PM
There just isn't much you can do about something like wrigglers dropping off the cone too soon or the parents caring for them. Just keep water quality high and the parents in good shape and let them practice. They should get the hang of it eventually. Have patience.

Kacey

aznboystyl3
02-11-2008, 12:00 AM
thanks, its just that this never happened to me before, like i have breed couple other pairs and this is the first time something this troublesome happened.

ill keep you updated

steve.ryall
02-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Kacey has given you the best advice, PATIENCE

CliffsDiscus
02-12-2008, 08:49 PM
The frys show a shortage of adhesive gland development, this is directly related to
internal problem(s) with the female, even if the female physically might show no problem
externally.

Cliff

mbayba
02-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi everyone. I'm brand new to SD but I just spent the most amazing half hour reading the entire 25 page post in the breeding discus section called Breeding in a 55 gal:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=34336

I decided to post my first post here because the thing that struck me above all else in that story was the relentless patience Hexed showed in finally getting to the expert breeding level. That story was awe-inspiring. I say that as someone who loves to look at discus, but has always been afraid to try them, even just for a show tank, never mind breeding. The number of unsuccessful spawns Hexed experienced was unfathomable to a novice like myself. If you get a chance, read that post, and you'll see and learn (even if you aren't a novice) and I think you'll be encouraged and entertained along the way. I hope this is taken in the spirit it was intended, just to encourage you aznboystyl3, to keep the faith and keep plugging away. I am awed by the constant care and feedback members here showed to Hexed along the way. I'm glad to be a part of it, even as a casual observer.

tdr1919
02-22-2008, 09:46 PM
I went through 20 spawns with one pair before they got it "right" I have another pair that did everthing right the first time, Kacey is right, you must be patient, and if you have read anything from JimmyL, you will find that there are just some pairs that never produce good spawns.