PDA

View Full Version : Using "Prime" with water changes

Samgaz
02-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi.
I was just wondering. I just started using "prime" with my WCs. and I'm following the directions on the bottle.

I use several 5g pails to do a my WCs but according to the directions I have to add 1/2 a ml to each pail. Doesn't seem like enough. Is this right or am I doing it all wrong.

Thanks
Sam

White Worm
02-10-2008, 12:04 AM
When I was using 5g buckets, I just put a few drops in each bucket. Its easier if you just put a capful in the tank to every 50g before the water goes in.

Apistomaster
02-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi.
I was just wondering. I just started using "prime" with my WCs. and I'm following the directions on the bottle.

I use several 5g pails to do a my WCs but according to the directions I have to add 1/2 a ml to each pail. Doesn't seem like enough. Is this right or am I doing it all wrong.

Thanks
Sam
I use a similar technique.
I do mix my Prime with approximately a pint of water before adding to the aquarium but I also sometimes just add it direct.
I have found that if I similarly dose the rinse water in a five gallon bucket I use on my live black worms, the worms last much longer and I have eliminated the occasional wipe outs that occur with straight chlorinated tap water.

Graham
02-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi.

Thanks
Sam

Remember that 500 mL will treat 5000 gallons according to thier web site...a little goes a long way

judy
02-16-2008, 05:11 PM
The first couple times I used my siphon/pump to do a WC and replace the water, I held my breath the whole time the fresh water was coming in, because all I did was put four eyedroppersful of Prime (and even that small amount was more than the 25 gallons I was replacing needed) in the tank near the siphon end where the water would come in, and I was terrified it wouldn't "catch" the chlorine and chloramine fast enough and the fish would all die horribly.
They didn't.
A little of that stuff really does go a long way...