PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Meechigan!!!!

BossHogg
02-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Hello all, I am a Discus noob,but not an cichlid noob although I know DIscus are totally different from what I am use to.

I have suucessfully housed and breed Peacocks and Tropeus, and now I plan to start a Discus and Apistogramma tanks.

Far as my discus tank I have 75gal tank with 2 whisper 60 turned to low, lots of different plants will update with names this evening, also have 3 pieces of driftwood (maylasian), not going to run CO2, gonna try the liquid chemicals as needed, it has been running for about 3 weeks now, my nitrates are great, ph is bout 6.8, but my KH and GH are both very high, I have done water changes but not sure how to get those levels down, I also have 7 neon tetras, and 7 Harlequin Rasbora, and 2 Corydoradinae they are silver with High Fins, lol drawing a mental name block right not. Oh yeah an my current temp is about 80.1 to 81.5 degrees through out the day.

I will also get this updated with some pics.

I am open to all suggestions, and criticism, as I said I am learning something new with the live planted aquariums as well as with the Discus. But qudos to this forum it has been very helpful from what I have read so far.

Elite Aquaria
02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Welcome to Simply....This is a great place to learn about Discus. I would say that the temp is a little low for discus... I keep my tanks around 84-86...I also do not have any plants or gravel in my tanks...if I did it would be difficult to keep the tanks clean with all the food I give my fish...;)

alxjss
02-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi fellow michigander:wave: I am only new to discus for almost a yr now. Have a pretty good experience so far. This site is the best. Post pics when possible and WELCOME TO SIMPLY!

Tropical Haven
02-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the site, the only suggestions I have for you is if your heart is set on having plants and driftwood then start out with adult discus, if you want small discus to start out with to watch them grow then go to a bare bottom tank. Keep your temps around 84 to 86 degrees.

GrillMaster
02-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Welcome aboad BossHogg! :)

Another displaced Texan I see...:D

About the only way to effectively reduce both GH and KH is to mix RO water with your tap water till you get the desired hardness.

tc
Mark

diamonddiscus08
02-21-2008, 01:11 AM
Hello I am from southwest Michigan and new to discus. I have a 55 gallon with 10 jumb neons, 4 albino tetras, 5 corys, 3 albino corys, 2 red-clawed crabs, a blue knight lobster and a juvie blue diamond discus about 2 1/2''. I am using 90% RO with 10% tap as a buffer with a pH of 6.8 and a temp of 80F. I was wondering if someone could tell me why I need the temperature so high. My roomate has a large saltwater reef tank and only keeps at around 78F. It is that neccessary to be above 80F? Thanks and nice to meet everyone~!

Elite Aquaria
02-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Different fish have different requirements...Discus like it between 82-86. I prefer to keep my tanks at 84...:D

The ocean is much cooler than the Amazon...;)