PDA

View Full Version : Leaving both Parents in Tank after Spawn

jgunja
02-11-2008, 09:54 PM
My beautiful Discus just laid eggs for the 2nd time. FYI they ate them the 1st time while I was away at work. I believe they ate them about 24-36 hrs after spawn.

It has now been 7 hours and only 1 is white. I see some suggest removing the female--- why and when?

Also should I feed the parents the same as I do normally?

is 25% water change every other day good?

Thx for all your help

aznboystyl3
02-11-2008, 10:08 PM
in the beginning it is normal for the pair to eat the eggs. they are just new to the whole raising eggs and then frys.
you can feed them but me personally i try not to feed them. maybe once a day if i feel like i want to. but then you should do a water change that day. maybe 15%. if you do a water change make sure its soft water or else the eggs may not hatch.

Elite Aquaria
02-12-2008, 01:46 AM
jgunja,

Generally speaking I never remove either of the pair...Only if they begin to fight but that is very rare with my pairs. I feed all my breeders with blood worms and live California black worms...I do not like to mess with the water once the eggs are laid until after I see wigglers. They I start to change 50% daily with tap water that is the same PH and Temp as the tank water.

steve.ryall
02-13-2008, 09:25 AM
I have only just removed the parents of my fry at 5 weeks old

C_of_Discus
02-13-2008, 09:39 AM
I agree you have to let nature take its course. The new parents have to learn and become good parents and raise their young. I have tried artificially raising fry and it is almost impossible. You need to be patient and if all the conditions are right they should spawn every week until they get it right.

AADiscus
02-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Normally if I remove a female it is because once they have wigglers the parents at times will start fighting. I will remove the female so that she can rest in a community tank. If one is an egg eater after several attempts at breeding then I will pull that fish once they are done spawning. Other than that I will not pull one. I continue to do wc's once they are done with spawning. Not big ones about 25% so that the water stays clean and will only feed them if they seem interested in food. It will be a clean food though if they get fed.

Dencio
02-18-2008, 04:20 AM
I have only just removed the parents of my fry at 5 weeks old

At 4 to 5 weeks old...do the frys still eat slime from their parents even though at this age we're already feeding them different foods?
Don't the parents get irritated already when the frys eating off them are already this big especially if its a batch of around 80 to 100?

tdr1919
02-22-2008, 09:07 PM
My best success has been leaving both parents with the fry, I have 4 month old babies still with the parents in a 29 gal. I have removed about half the babies to another setup. I for one get tired of caring for the fry, so the parents will not spawn with the babies in the tank and they will not lose the "bond" when they are separated.
I prefer a 29 gal aquarium for breeding, 20 gal. works but I just think they are really cramped in 20's.

Tom