PDA

View Full Version : ammonia spike

angelover
02-13-2008, 01:37 PM
I added two new discus to a 29 gallon tank yesterday that has been running for a week with water and bacteria from my main tank.The readings before I added the discus was 0 amm. 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. This morning when I checked the water I had a reading of .25 ammonia. I vacuumed the bottom of the tank with a50% water change. My tap water has traces of ammonia in it so I use Prime as my water conditioner. Should I also add a full dose of Prime directly to the tank or is that overkill? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Graham
02-13-2008, 01:49 PM
How much NH3 is in the tap water?

It's not unusual to have a slight spike while the bio-film adjusts itself to the new filsh load and 0.25 isn't very much.......Water changes and Prime willmore than look after it till they catch up

G

angelover
02-13-2008, 02:08 PM
How much NH3 is in the tap water?

It's not unusual to have a slight spike while the bio-film adjusts itself to the new filsh load and 0.25 isn't very much.......Water changes and Prime willmore than look after it till they catch up

G

Thanks so much! I have no idea of the NH3. Is this something I should find out? How would I do that?

Graham
02-13-2008, 02:56 PM
''...My tap water has traces of ammonia in it so I use Prime as my water conditioner....''

Huh How do you know your tap water has NH3/ammonia? You use thesame test kit that you're using on the aquarium;)

angelover
02-13-2008, 05:48 PM
''...My tap water has traces of ammonia in it so I use Prime as my water conditioner....''

Huh How do you know your tap water has NH3/ammonia? You use thesame test kit that you're using on the aquarium;)

Oh, how dumb of me lol. The ammonia in my tap water reads .25-.5. thanks for your help.