PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

torch
02-13-2008, 04:19 PM
I noticed alot of bigger Discus from web videos don't swim much. They just float around, whereas the small Discus moves and swims much more. Is this normal?

I am planning a Discus tank and space is big issue for me. I am debating getting a tank that is either 30 inch or 36 inch wide. Height will be around 18 inch , 20 inch or 24 inch tall. So I'm looking at 36, 46 and 50 gallon size tanks.

If Discus don't do much horizontal swimming, I can get away with 30 inch wide tank? Plan on having only 4 or 5 Discus.

Graham
02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
When it comes to aquariums the bigger the better...the more water the less dramatic changes that can take place

G

torch
02-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks, but can you give me idea of swimming patterns?

Graham
02-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Just about all juvenile fish species are jumpy and howl around...think of human teenagers;)...where as adults get more layed back and therefore swim less and not vertically unless there is food up there

But that doesn't mean that you want a small foot print or wate volume....get the biggest tank that you can. A 36 gallon tank is not very big for 4 or 5 fish

G

torch
02-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks Graham, I'll shoot for the 50 Gallon, but but do you recommend the 30 inch or 36 inch wide?

Eyecandy
02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi there... Don't know whether you are planning juvies or adults and eventually getting a bigger tank for adults but..... I have 8 semi adult discus in a 4x2x2 120 gallon planted tank and I can tell you they use every bit of the length and depth and height of the tank. They are cichlids and need their space... especially if they get frightened or a pair forms... Plus they like to cruise and explore the floor for food etc. Just take a CD and hold a few of those up to visualize the space needed for an adult discus and you will be better able to see how crowded a small space gets.. Not to mention wcsetc in a smaller tank. So as to tank size of their permanent home... IME the bigger the better for them. HTH Sue

torch
02-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks Sue, using CD is great idea. I am planning juvies, learn from doing reef tank, started out with 10g, then move to 20g, now I have 75g reef. I reall want a bigger tank, but I already have 75g tank in my living room, that is why I'm looking a 50g that will be 30widex15x20 high.