PDA

View Full Version : question with sponge filter in breedinig tank

theboss11111
02-13-2008, 05:59 PM
my question is should the sponge filter be at one end of the tank and the breeding cone at the other end of the tank.

most I talk to say yes.

2nd question is in regards to the strength of air flow I should have going through the sponge filter.

I have been told 2 opposite answers.

some people tell me that they lower the air flow to very very low so that it does not push all the sperm away from the eggs.

some people tell me that it's good to have it on fairly high so that it helps air flow around the eggs, hence helping them not turn white.

Please help. thank you for your wisdom.

Ted

White Worm
02-13-2008, 06:52 PM
my question is should the sponge filter be at one end of the tank and the breeding cone at the other end of the tank.

most I talk to say yes.

2nd question is in regards to the strength of air flow I should have going through the sponge filter.

I have been told 2 opposite answers.

some people tell me that they lower the air flow to very very low so that it does not push all the sperm away from the eggs.

some people tell me that it's good to have it on fairly high so that it helps air flow around the eggs, hence helping them not turn white.

Please help. thank you for your wisdom.

Ted

I put the sponge at one end and the cone at the other. I turn the air down a little but not alot. With a 29g tank (my breeder), I dont think the air is going to affect fertilization all that much and it would only be a concern when they are in the middle of the breeding. I guess it depends on the air pump you are using. I use Methyl blue to keep the eggs healthy.

AADiscus
02-13-2008, 08:53 PM
I ditto Mikscus ;)

Apistomaster
02-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I also keep the sponge filter opposite from the spawning site. The aeration rate has no effect on fertilization rates but it can make it more difficult for the fry and parents if they have to struggle against a strong current. I always reduce the flow rate down so when the fry try to make their transition from wrigglers to attaching to their parents they can do so easily.

theboss11111
02-18-2008, 02:37 AM
thank you for your knowledge. I will keep trying.