PDA

View Full Version : Advice for discus

voss345
02-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Ok hi guys im new to this site!
I live in Ct and have a few questions
Ive had a 75 gallon well established planted for about a year with juvies pike but switcing over to discus my tank water comes out at around 6.4 as i have peat to soften the water
Right now i have a fluval 404 for filtration and an AC110 and my nitrates are at 0 , im thinking about getting a 40 gallon refugium and take off the AC110 is this a good idea?
also anyone know of a good discus dealer in the New england area?

Also for my tank im thinking 4 discus to start ( or would it just be easier to introduce all at the same time)? 12 corys cats that i already have, and a few rams and maybe a shoal of 15-20 some odd tetras!
thanks alot

robb

RyanH
02-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi Robb,

Welcome to Simply. :)

You're in luck! Al Sabetta, the owner of this site is also from Connecticut. He goes by Brewmaster15 here. I'd drop him an IM and say hello.

Take some time to peruse the stickied threads at the top of the beginners section. You may also want to poke around in the planted section as well.

Good luck!

Ryan

voss345
02-14-2008, 05:37 PM
thanks ryan
yea i just realized that Brewmaster is from Ct ill send him a message
ive read alot of the stickies about discus and discus in planted takes would just like to hear some opinions about the refugium idea is it worth doing?

phidelt85
02-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Alot of people swear by sumps. I had one on my 125gal for about 6mos. then yanked it out. I didn't like the design as it made it very difficult to clean all the detritus and gunk out of the bottom. The amount of nitrifying bacteria you can grow in a sump runs is very good however. If you can get one setup that is very simple and quick to clean out well, I'd go for it, but then again I think you are more than fine with just the fluval on there.
I chose to forego the sump for 3sponge filters and a Rena xP3

BTW, consider yourself very lucky to live near Al. I would definitely hit him up before you go buying discus. You won't be disappointed by going with his stock. :D

voss345
02-15-2008, 05:26 PM
yea im trying to get in touch with him
i was just liking the idea of a refugium as its a planted tank, and would like a place to propogate some plants and stuff without the hassle of setting up another tank
my parents are getting on my butt about it haha