PDA

View Full Version : Is this a sign of not enough slime?

thang45
02-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Can anyone please tell me if this is a sign of not enough slime on the parent? If yes, what can I feed them to have more slime on their body?

thang45
02-14-2008, 07:08 PM
The female

judy
02-15-2008, 11:39 AM
this looks like an external bacterial infection to me. try Maracyn Plus.

thang45
02-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Judy,

I have been dosing them with Maracyn 2 for the past two days. Hopefully this will do the trick.

judy
02-15-2008, 01:13 PM
well, there's maracyn 1, maracyn 2, and maracyn plus. many people use the one and two versions together (and maracyn approves of that) because one product treats gram-positive, the other gram-negative bacteria. use them both and you have both avenues covered. the maracyn plus is a different formulation entirely, which also supposedly treats both.

CliffsDiscus
02-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Your fish has enough slime, most LSS don't produce that much extra slime on their body.
Looking for mucus producer check with the vet.

Cliff

thang45
02-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Your fish has enough slime, most LSS don't produce that much extra slime on their body.
Looking for mucus producer check with the vet.

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Do you know any that I can call?

thang45
02-15-2008, 03:48 PM
well, there's maracyn 1, maracyn 2, and maracyn plus. many people use the one and two versions together (and maracyn approves of that) because one product treats gram-positive, the other gram-negative bacteria. use them both and you have both avenues covered. the maracyn plus is a different formulation entirely, which also supposedly treats both.

I didn't know about maracyn plus, but will try it if maracyn II doesn't work.

thang45
02-15-2008, 05:28 PM
I removed the fry, does that mean I have to treat the fry as well or leave them alone?

judy
02-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Leave them alone for now. Are they eating BBS yet? Just keep an eye on them...

Graham
02-15-2008, 08:16 PM
While I don't know what that is...a bacterial infection is very, VERY doubtful. That much bacteria ...of what kind???...attacking a fish would have it laying over half dead.

I would not be dumping antibiotics in there based on what I'm seeing IMO

G

thang45
02-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Leave them alone for now. Are they eating BBS yet? Just keep an eye on them...

Yes they are and they seems fine. I will leave them for now.

While I don't know what that is...a bacterial infection is very, VERY doubtful. That much bacteria ...of what kind???...attacking a fish would have it laying over half dead.

I would not be dumping antibiotics in there based on what I'm seeing IMO

G

Hi Graham,

What precautions do you think I should take?

Graham
02-16-2008, 01:11 PM
If they are acting fine and eating and the water is good I wouldn't do a thing...it doesn't sound like it's broke:);)

thang45
02-16-2008, 07:30 PM
If they are acting fine and eating and the water is good I wouldn't do a thing...it doesn't sound like it's broke:);)

This is the same pair that I have posted before about the cloudy eye.

When I saw both of his eyes are a bit cloudy I split the pair and give then Melafix. Instantly within one day the cloudy eyes went away, I treated them for 5 days with fry in the same tank. After 10 days he got the cloudy eye again. This time I moved the fry to their own tank and DID NOT use melafix for 2 days on the parents just to see if the cloudy eyes will disappear, but it didn’t. I know you said melafix doesn’t work, but in this case it did help.

Now I’m on my third days of Maracyn II and I have to continue to the fifth day. If it is not bacterial then this is very weird and I don’t know what to do.

doc3toes
02-18-2008, 02:20 AM
well i dunno about bacterial, but it doesn't look healthy either. if there are not fry on them i would try some salt (1 tbsp/10g). if there are fry then i'de get them on to BBS (baby brine shrimp) asap, and pull them at 2 weeks. then get the female cleared up.

thang45
02-19-2008, 12:24 AM
well i dunno about bacterial, but it doesn't look healthy either. if there are not fry on them i would try some salt (1 tbsp/10g). if there are fry then i'de get them on to BBS (baby brine shrimp) asap, and pull them at 2 weeks. then get the female cleared up.

The fry are not with the parents.

It has been 5 days of Maracyn II and he is still in the same condition as before. I think he is sick but I have no clue what is causing it. I think I will leave them alone for now until I know for sure what it is.