PDA

View Full Version : New fish listless advise Please

crystalview
02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
I just got four 2" Red Dragons. The were perky a few hours ago. I had covered them to keep them calm. I left black worms in a feeder. I did not think they would eat but just in case. Upon returning the bare tank had poop a lot of it on the bottom of the tank. I ran the vac and got it out. It was a lot! I decided to change half the water because one of the discus was is at the top listless and dark. I added some salt to the tank but don't know what else to do. Can you advise. Please

happygirl65
02-15-2008, 12:32 AM
I am sorry to hear of your struggles. I have been having troubles with my new (and first) discus too. I just wanted to say hello and hang in there.

My little Rocky was knocking on heavens door a few days ago and now he is fiesty and eating well! :)

So far I have learned that water changes are my best friend. I am sure someone else will give more helpful comments.

Bainbridge Mike
02-15-2008, 12:39 AM
"I just got four 2" Red Dragons. The were perky a few hours ago. I had covered them to keep them calm. I left black worms in a feeder. I did not think they would eat but just in case. Upon returning the bare tank had poop a lot of it on the bottom of the tank. I ran the vac and got it out. It was a lot! I decided to change half the water because one of the discus was is at the top listless and dark. I added some salt to the tank but don't know what else to do. Can you advise. Please?"

Can you tell us more about what is going on? Were the fish shipped to you--or did they come from an LFS? Are they by themselves in a QT tank? Did you have a fully cycled filter to put in the tank? what are the water parameters in the tank? It is not unusual for new fish to sulk while they get use to their new environment. tell us more.

Mike

crystalview
02-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Yes my tank is cycled. The reading are O-A, 0 nitri, 0-nrate
I am use to a little nitrates in my community tank. But with the 25% water change I did this morning and then the 50% around 5pm. When I noticed the one fish. Every thing is 0. The fish came overnight from Southern CA I am in Northern CA. They were cold. I let them float in the tank for almost a 1/2hr. This is a bare 29g. They will be going into my 55 with my community. I had read that when discus showed signs of being under the weather to use salt.
I had never seen this much poop from 4 fish. I am use to fish poop in sort of a string pattern. I know that string poop in a certain color can mean illness. This was grayish and had clumped together sort of.
I had left the black worms in a worm cup. They were gone. I asked the seller if he had wormed the fish recently. Thinking this was what I was seeing. I have not heard back. The ill fish is at the surface in a 84 degree tank. The fish do not seem restless or skitery. The one at the surface is dark and since none of them run from my hand I not sure what else to check. I used a mag glass and there seems to be no visual change in or on his skin. It may be that the cold water was hardest on this fish. I am concerned because I tried to rescue a couple of discus a few weeks ago to no avail. I had those fish in another tank so that is not the cause. I have the tank half cover with a thick towel so they can go towards the dim light or the dark till they settle in.

krandrus
02-15-2008, 02:18 AM
1) How much aeration do you have in the tank? If you are not vigorously breaking the surface of the water this may be part of it.

2) If the grey poop looked a little like snot, that is the bad poop you are looking to avoid.

3) Don't feed for the next 48 hours.

Everything else you are doing is great. Good luck.

Kevin

crystalview
02-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Well I lost all but one. That really sucks! This fish seems happy and healthy. The breeder said I should not have left them worms for the first 24hrs. I did not see that written any where. This little guy (?) is coming to the surface to see us so we are hopeful. Now I will keep him in qt tank for several weeks. Should I get him a buddy or should he stay alone? I know they should be four or more but what about one? This on has a lot of dark spots on it. I can see his belly is full. He picks off the sponge filter. I only just started feeding him yesterday. I need suggestions please! It saddens me that I have lost two batches from this breeder and that they are always cold when they get here. I don't know if he will replace them and I am not sure I want him to.
Ken is only 3hrs from me. I wish he was coming to Sac or near by. Shipping is so high. I dought he would send priority either.

I also added an air stone.

t_j
02-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Yes you would want another discus for it or a couple more. The dark spots are probably pepper nothing to be worried about discus of this strain most of the time get it. Now you say the tummy looks full right?? Now did you just feed it or does it always look full?? If it is always full it is not a good sign. I am sorry to hear about the others.

krandrus
02-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Something was either really wrong with one of:

1) the shipping - the fish got too cold or spent too long in the bags.
2)your tank - if it was not cycled properly or the CBW were rotting causing an ammonia spike. Or if as suggested there was not enough aeration, warmer water hold less gas then cooler water.
3)the fish - unless one of the two above happened, discus just don't normally die overnight unless they are on their last legs or 1) or 2) apply.

I think that the experts here probably need more information - pictures maybe. Before we can get to the root of the problem.

Sorry about your fish.

Kevin

crystalview
02-20-2008, 02:00 AM
I did not have aeration in the tank just the movement on the surface from the filter. The tank was cycled, 82,
The breeder said that he had wormed them a few days before shipping. He also told me that I should not have left a few black worms in a worm cup. Yes the fish were cold considering it was overnight and from Southern CA when I am in Northern CA. I warmed them up in the original bag. It took a while for the temp to equal. The were just dead in the morning and the one that is left is swimming and eating now that I added dither fish for it to take it's clues from. He is still stressed but doing well. He doesn't seem to know what to do with the black worms so I feed him beef heart flakes. I will feed golden pearls the next few days instead.
I have been changing his water at 50 % everyday. I don't seem to freak him out so much but I still have half the tank covered by a dark towel and the rest of the tank get room light. I am leaving my crab light on across the room so he has a slight light at night. I will have to look for more if he makes it this week. I should have gone with Ken or the like. This fish is not very round. but maybe he will grow into his color. All I can do now is back this one well feed and content.

Graham
02-20-2008, 07:35 AM
I think that this is a simple case of bad shipping and getting cold...it had nothing to do with the worms being fed.

The other thing is that there should not have been any great amount of feces in the tank just after shipping....that tell me that the shipper didn't stop feeding several days before the fish were shipped...that messes with water quality in the shipping bag

So they had two strikes against them, cold and crappy water...not a recipe for success

G

happygirl65
02-20-2008, 11:10 AM
I am no expert but have had similar exp.
Cold and crappy water thing happened to me too. :( I lost 3 of 6 right off. Now I have three that seemed to get a bacterial infection. They are fine now after being treated but sometimes this happens.
I am going to order from a sponsor next time too. I just wanted to add that I feel your pain. And let you know that is was probably not something you did, but rather the shipping just stressed them too much.

digthemlows
02-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Sorry for the loss. Hope the little one stays healthy and grows big. There are some pretty good juvies at the LFS here in Sac right now, you could get him some friends when you feel comfortable and not have to worry about shipping.

dpt8
02-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Sorry for your loss.. Be advised to stay with these sponsors on this page.. I have bought from some here and you couldn't ask for better quality, health and support from hese sellers.. Are you near Kenny??

greyhoundfan
02-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Ouch... You live in NorCal?? Hit up Kenny's Discus. He's in Daly City. Can't go wrong with him.

Kindredspirit
02-22-2008, 11:33 AM
There are some pretty good juvies at the LFS here in Sac right now, .

Where? lol! Now I was at Jo Jo 's the other day and was very impressed with his place and set up ~ the discus were plentiful and not in bad shape at all ~ save one ~

Nonetheless ~

I would not buy discus from a lfs unless you can QT for the rest of its life;)