View Full Version : crypt

alan j t
02-16-2008, 06:15 PM
would Cryptocoryne balansae
survive in my disus tank
any one here tried this plant with ant success

fxie
02-16-2008, 08:46 PM
I actually have this and crypt wendtii in my tank right now...although, I don't have any discus in the tank yet! lol

However, I am practicing a discus oriented regime in preparation for the addition of discus in the very near future, and as far as I can see, the crypts are doing just fine with the added water changes, higher temperatures, and lower lighting.

alan j t
02-16-2008, 10:22 PM
awesome
i guess ill be getting abunch for my tanks

wolfbane
02-16-2008, 10:41 PM
I have several varieties of crypts in my discus tank. They seem to do fine! I do add Excell off and on.

Wahter
02-17-2008, 03:09 AM
would Cryptocoryne balansae
survive in my disus tank
any one here tried this plant with ant success

I've had it in the past and it works fine - just make sure you realize that like many crypts, it will 'melt' a bit while initially acclimating to your tank's conditions. Sometimes crypts melt when you even change out your lights, but leave them alone and they should recover.

http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1.asp?id=125

I like this photo (from http://www.plantedtank.net) of the leaves (in my opinion, much more attractive than vallisneria):

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlantsImage.php?n=101_99.jpg

Hope that helps,

Walter

BSW
02-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Crypts and Anubias are two of the few plants I can grow really well in a Low Tech/no Co2 tank. All Crypts do better if you use fertilizer tabs under the roots though. They are big root feeders.
But all do well in higer temps and low light IME.
B

Apistomaster
02-17-2008, 01:26 PM
awesome
i guess ill be getting abunch for my tanks
Do get many of them for several reasons.
They do best when planted as a group.
This is a very slow growing Crypt, not the slowest but not nearly as fast as say, C.wendtii.
It is not too unusual to receive smallish plants.

alan j t
02-17-2008, 02:25 PM
you bet i will
to bad not any lfs sells them
ill probably order them from one of the online stores

alan j t
02-17-2008, 02:38 PM
seems like aqua botanic is the place to shop

Wahter
02-17-2008, 04:34 PM
you bet i will
to bad not any lfs sells them
ill probably order them from one of the online stores

I think that's because they melt when conditions change for them and the average person isn't going to be attracted to buy a plant with a bunch of muchy holes in the leaves. Sort of like the average person isn't interested in the plain looking juvenile discus - they want the brightly colored fish, even at the small size.

Walter

midazolam
02-17-2008, 08:32 PM
seems like aqua botanic is the place to shop

I've heard good and bad about them.

aquariumplants.com is very highly spoken of. I've used them and was happy.

GrillMaster
02-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Aquariumplants.com is worth a look also. I have ordered lots of plants from them in the past and was never dissapointed!

tc
Mark

midazolam
02-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Aquariumplants.com is worth a look also. I have ordered lots of plants from them in the past and was never dissapointed!

tc
Mark

Thats actually what I meant to type. Aquariumplants.com sorry :)

tacks
02-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi if you go too Aqua Bid in the plant section a fellow named Lowcoastorhas great plants, he is honest. lots plants to choose from and if you ask for something he does not have he will get it for you Ed

alan j t
02-19-2008, 08:06 PM
hey all
i bought plants from aquabid and did not get what i wanted
so i tried aquaticmagic same thing crap
so hopefully your reccomendations will be helpful for my quest for cool plants

happygirl65
02-19-2008, 09:21 PM
aquabid is hit or miss. Lowcoaster has loads of good reviews though, and there is a seller on ebay called mikeswetpets that I have had great success with. :)
I am getting ready to order a BUNCH of plants for my new 90 though and will probably go with aquariumplants.com

For what it's worth I have had several crypts melt when moving them around and they usually come back bigger and better than before. :) Patience is the hardest part with the melt!

Apistomaster
02-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Gladware food containers may be used of an appropriate size to plant Crypts like C. crispalata var balansae.
C. crispalata is not as distinctly different in that it lacks the "hammered" look of var. balansae but is a much hardier, larger and faster growing than the balansae form.
Whenever you can pot the Crypts, they become much easier to move and are far less likely to "melt" since their root systems are not disturbed when they are moved.

Stability and lack of transplanting will usually prevent melt downs. It is the preferred method for the larger Crypts. Ground covering Crypts should never be moved unless absolutely necessary.
Although melted Crypts may recover, the facts are that full recovery may take years so always try to avoid it if possible.

alan j t
02-20-2008, 09:06 PM
this will be my third set of crypts
i still have them
the plants melted and came back when first purchased
even till this day there always still some stem/leaf thats decide to melt away
my best guess its melting to make room for some new plantlets

GrillMaster
02-21-2008, 12:25 AM
If your crypts are established they shouldn't have melting leaves on them. Do you have root tabs under the roots? Do you dose any iron?

BTW...I have bought plants from Charlie (lowcoaster) before he went on to sell them on aquabid. He is a great guy who knows his way around plants. That would be another option for you. You have a few options at your disposal now so you can price shop. :)

tc
Mark

alan j t
02-21-2008, 02:54 AM
so you say my plants shouldnt melt if established
they do just not alot
i have diy co2 which i dont keep up with
so that could be it
the crypts are planted in flourite with plant jobes under them
i dont dose any ferts cause i get all kinds of algea
so dosing ferts has no regime anymore
just whenever i remember

thankx for pointing me in a good direction
if you recommend him then its worth checking out

dawncollette
02-21-2008, 04:35 AM
pet solutions has horrible plants, I lost all I ordered from them and the shape they were in was terrible. AZGARDENS.com has great plants as well as aquariumplants.com ...I have several plants from them that I got months ago that thrived, wendtii, is one of them and it's huge now and really pretty with the darker leaves. They are almost brownish red in color and very big.
good luck,
dawn

Apistomaster
02-22-2008, 09:40 AM
I prefer aquariumplants.com but AZ Gardens also has very high quality plants but I warn you, do not buy live fish or shrimp from them. They have no business selling live animals and I promise you, you will regret it.