PDA

View Full Version : WB's with Eggs

BOBT00LS
02-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Hello All. I woke up this morning to find a forced pair fanning over 200 plus eggs and none of them are white as of yet.Not to bad for their first time. I dont have high hopes as it is their first time but I'll see how it goes. At least I know I chose a male and a female correctly.

Bob

Tropical Haven
02-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Congrats Bob, I hope that they do well for you.

Organic Farmer
02-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Thats great news Bob, good luck in the future. Tom

AADiscus
02-18-2008, 08:49 PM
:DYou go Bob!!!!! :D:D That is cool! Keep us posted.

Condor
02-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Way to to Bob!! Good luck with 'em!

Adrian

White Worm
02-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Excellent! You will know for sure when you have fry. :D

theboss11111
02-19-2008, 10:31 PM
great job Bob, good luck to you. I heard and read that sometimes 2 females would also lay eggs? is this true?
I hope in your case it's not.

My pair of leopard snakeskins have tried 6 times now, and the 5th and 6th they finally had about 10 wigglers which ended up being eaten or died and vanished. I'm still trying.

Ted

Upper Canada
02-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Well done there Robert, nice looking fish too.

Bob

Darren's Discus
02-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Bob,
All the best with them mate.;)

cheers

fishmama
02-20-2008, 12:15 AM
OMG! This is like Easter Eggs...early...only better!!!:D

BOBT00LS
02-20-2008, 12:23 AM
I would like to thank you all for your positive comments and encouragement. Its nearing forty eight hours and yes there are some white eggs as expected although I would say that over 75 % seem to have been fertilized and are dark. Sometime tomorrow evening I should have wigglers. After that will be the true test to get these fry to attach once free swimming on day 5 or 6. Since they are White discus this will be the real trick. Im ready to lower the water level and pull the sponge as well as keeping my fingers crossed. Ill let you all know how it turned out.

Bob

BOBT00LS
02-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Woke up this morning to find wigglers with many moved to the back side of the cone. I know now that I have a confirmed pair. Two days to free swimming. The male and female both are doing a great job fanning, protecting, and picking up and wigglers that fall. Two days to free swimming.

Bob

Darren's Discus
02-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Bob,
excellent,nothing better than when the eggs hatch from a new pair for the first time. let the games begin.

cheers

judy
02-20-2008, 07:15 PM
woo-hoo, way to go, Bob!! (or, bob's fish...!)

AADiscus
02-20-2008, 08:55 PM
You could go ahead and lower the water and take the sponge out before they start swimming. This will make it easier on you.

BOBT00LS
02-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the advice Angela. My only concern with that is, the wigglers have been moved to the back of the cone near the top so I couldnt lower the water too far at this point.

Bob

tdr1919
02-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Bob,
One time I had them move them from the flower pot, to the top of the heater and I couldnt lower the water, it was a real pain lowering the water when they are up that high.
Tom

Elite Aquaria
02-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Im ready to lower the water level and pull the sponge as well as keeping my fingers crossed. Ill let you all know how it turned out.

Bob

Bob, Congratulations on the wigglers...:D

I make sure I do some good water changes with aged tap water that has the same PH and Temp while the fry are still wigglers...this way whey I take out the filter the water is very clean...I will lower the water down to just above where the fry are on the cone maybe 2x. I also cut back on food to only live California black worms during the day before they go free swimming and the day without the filter...If you don't have LCBW then cut back on feeding during the day without the filter and only feed clean frozen foods like bloodworms...good luck we are all pulling for you.

BOBT00LS
02-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Hello Dan and Thanks for the advice. I already did a large water change at 5 a.m. , Removed the sponge filter and lowered the water to maybe one inch above Mom and Dad. I fed a small amount of FBW this morning just before the water change. They should be free swimming soon.

judy
02-22-2008, 02:27 PM
this is a very cool primer for a first-timer!
please keep us posted.

Joander123
02-22-2008, 02:56 PM
just a quick question, what does lowering the water help with?

BOBT00LS
02-22-2008, 06:17 PM
The reason why I lowered the water level is to help the fry in attaching to the parents when they do go free swimming. Discus will normally darken up to attract the free swimmers but since these are white discus they do not darken. If I decrease the volume of water they have to swim in, Im hoping it will make it easier for them to find their parents to feed off of them.

Bob

Elite Aquaria
02-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Bob,

Are the edges of the bottom black from the frame of the tank? I had to remove the frame then paint the glass then put back the frame....all my fry at first were going to the dark corners...

BOBT00LS
02-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Hello Dan. I thought ahead when painting this tank. I intended it to be a breeder so I did remove the lower frame so there is no black showing at all. You can see in the pics that all you see is the light blueish color silicone.

Bob

tdr1919
02-22-2008, 09:15 PM
just a quick question, what does lowering the water help with?

The free swimming fry disperse all over the tank, when the water is lower it confines them and the parents and before the fry burn up all their energy they find the parents. I went through quite a few failed attempts to have the fry attach, I finally listened to Angela,
lowered the water, and the fry attached ( i did not have to remove the sponge filter).
Tom

Elite Aquaria
02-23-2008, 12:51 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Darren's Discus
02-23-2008, 06:01 AM
Bob,
all the best mate,am waiting in anticipation of them going free swimming.:)

cheers

Kenny's Discus
02-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Congratulation Bob! Such beautiful sight, hope they'll do well for you.:)

Kenny

BOBT00LS
02-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks Kenny. Funny thing is I have had them in a breeder tank for two weeks and they laid the eggs just after I spoke with you last Sunday. Coincidence or just the magic of Kenny:). A few have attached and others are in clumps on the bottom of the tank as of now. The next twenty four hours will tell if this will be a complete success.

Bob

Elite Aquaria
02-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Bob,

I assume they are all free swimming by now...If so remove the breeding cone and shine a light on the pairs creating a shadow below the fish...This will become the darkest area and the fry will swim to that area. Since the water level is so low no were else for the fry to go except the parents sides....:D :D :D

Keep us posted...he how about some pics of the parents while we wait...;)

BOBT00LS
02-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Well free swimming and attachment to the parents is complete. I removed the cone at 12 p.m. this afternoon and shortly after they were scattered all over the tank. The turkey baster became my best friend as every hour I would gather them up and blow them back toward the parents. I know this isnt text book but it worked. As of around 8 p.m. They are all attached to the parents and the turkey baster is no longer necessary. I have siphoned the bottom and did a water change, rising the water level to half of the tank rather then just a half inch above the parents. Tomorrow I will do another water change raising the water level higher and add a seeded white sponge filter to the tank. The only drawback to all this was that the parents seem to have peppered a bit today, perhaps in trying to attract the free swimmers. It was tough to get a good picture as the little guys move so fast but I got one just to give you all an idea.

Bob

Darren's Discus
02-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Bob,
nice work all the best with them, look forward to the updates. !

cheers

BOBT00LS
02-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Good Morning all. I thought I was home free with attachment complete last evening. Woke up this morning and went to check on them only to find all the fry gone. I guess mom, dad or both had a nice little snack last night. Found it odd that they would be eaten so late in this process. Now its time to clean the tank, put the cone back in and try again. Thank You All for following along.

Bob

Elite Aquaria
02-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Bob,

Sorry to hear the news....:(

Next time don't add any water back until at least 36 hours of attachment has occurred...also don't feed the parents during the day without the sponge...The change in water parameters could have triggered the parents to eat the fry....but to be honest no one really ever knows why the do it...I have used the baster technique many times....:D

joe98ss
03-11-2008, 11:44 PM
I was sorry to hear when your discus ate the babies. I was hoping to pick some of these up I dont live that far away:D lol. Just checking to see if they spawned again.