PDA

View Full Version : Paint Inside The Tank?

Kindredspirit
02-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey Guys ~ Has anyone ever heard that Krylon Fusion Paint, is safe for aquarium use? I have read that you can use this spray paint to paint something, and as long as you let it completely dry...it would be safe?

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_18.gif

White Worm
02-19-2008, 11:09 PM
I would not. Nothing krylon makes will stand up to being completely submersed. Marine paint would be an option but no matter what, anything would need some kind of clear coat to protect against water penetration. Water proof means if it gets rained on, it wont break down immediately. That doesnt mean it will react the same when kept under water for a long period of time. Even marine paints wear out and clear coats wear off.

Kindredspirit
02-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Oh wow. You really would not? On Cyphos some said they have and do!

I don't think I will ~

Thanks!

White Worm
02-20-2008, 01:22 AM
All I can picture is when the paint breaks down, you will have all these little paint flecks everywhere. Even the aquarium decor bought in the stores like walmart eventually start chipping.

Kindredspirit
02-20-2008, 09:28 AM
This is true.....thanks, Mike!:)

Harriett
02-20-2008, 11:42 AM
And even if it isn't peeling, I would be real concerned that molecules of something toxic would be leeching into your water column--one of those silent but deadly surprises....you feeling lucky, Marie?LOL [everything IN paint is basically toxic I think, except the water]
Best regards
Harriett

happygirl65
02-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Is it a small peice as a decoration, or a background? If it is easy to pull out at the first sign of a problem you could coat it with epoxy and keep an eye on it.

I have seen many DIY background projects where people have used this paint and then coated it with epoxy.

My concern was always that eventually with plecos and other sucker mouth fish that it would eventually wear away at least in some spots.

We see these DIY projects but we don't get to see the long term result. I would be interested to see pics from two or three years down the road. :)

I wanted a rock wall sort of 3D background for my 46 gal and ended up finding something I was looking for at bigalsonline.com it looks pretty neat but the BN pleco has taken it's toll.....overall it still looks decent but since I had to silicon it in place (styrofoam) I will use a less permanent solution on my new 90 gal. (paint or background on the back/outside. :) )

Kindredspirit
02-20-2008, 09:06 PM
you feeling lucky, Marie?LOL [everything IN paint is basically toxic I think, except the water]
Best regards
Harriett

Hell No, Harriet! Not that lucky, woman;) I swear though, on my Frontosa site, there are some that have in it in their tanks...but I thought I would hit up Simply and Sc...I know so many...set what you all say about it ~

I think I will leave well enough alone! Thank you!

Kindredspirit
02-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Is it a small peice as a decoration, or a background?

This "condo" of caves, is what I want to paint ~ black ~to match my background ~ I never minded it terracotta colored when it was in my discus tank, and the Rams played in it...

But now I want it black! lol!

Would you do it?

traco
02-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Silicone dark gravel on it. Tank safe silicone, coat the terracotta pots, then roll in the dark gravel. Voila, dark cave!

Kindredspirit
02-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Barb! Gosh I miss you! That is funny you should say that...I was just at Cyphos and reading a thread, and some guy did just that with pvc pipe!

hmm.....

traco
02-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Great minds think alike?:D I've done this with a PVC pipe for a tank before.

crazie.eddie
02-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Silicone dark gravel on it. Tank safe silicone, coat the terracotta pots, then roll in the dark gravel. Voila, dark cave!

I was going to suggest the same thing, but use black silicone as well and use sand, instead of dark gravel. That way you don't have any gaps.

Kindredspirit
02-21-2008, 08:13 AM
I was going to suggest the same thing, but use black silicone as well and use sand, instead of dark gravel. That way you don't have any gaps.

That is a good idea ~ this one member used gravel and it was lumpy and lots of spaces....never thought of sand!

Thanks, Eddie!:)

How the hell are you?

korbi_doc
02-21-2008, 10:03 AM
:D Hi Marie, Zcliff on Plecofanatics.com makes caves out of granite & marble, & some are solid black..I've got marble (I think) caves that are white, speckled with black, & they look good in the tank...he would probably make whatever you want, if it's feasible....nice guy to deal with, try to get a look.. just a thought....

Dottie ;)

Kindredspirit
02-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Dottie! That is great information:) I can not remember where I got my caves....your guy could be the one ~ he makes them all himself....

I wonder....:)

Wow! Dottie there are 19K members there! All about the Pleco? Do you see that large golden Pleco when you log on? I have always wanted one like that ~ I love that color! Probably rare as hell....

I will check out your suggestion:)

RandalB
02-22-2008, 11:38 AM
I would not. Nothing krylon makes will stand up to being completely submersed.....

I used black krylon fusion on a PVC overflow pipe in a reef tank for more than 2 years with no problems. No flaking, fading or adverse effects on marine organisms that are much more touchy than discus.

Krylon fusion is in fact, widely used in the reef aquarium hobby for painting PVC and acrylic inside tanks.

RandalB

phidelt85
02-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Hmmm, makes me wonder if some of the issues I had at the start of my discus hobby where toxicity induced. I had painted all my overflows and returns if you all remember black with krylon paint but not the fusion stuff. I still have discus from when I had those lines in the tank and they seem fine now so. I dunno just a thought.

RandalB
02-22-2008, 01:16 PM
From my understanding, Krylon Fusion is the only one that works like this...

RandalB