PDA

View Full Version : water changes during breeding

aznboystyl3
02-20-2008, 11:33 AM
so my leapords ate the frys again as expected. They always become wigglers then die on the second day.

so right now i buy ro water and put it in right before they lay eggs. i heard i should also do another water change after they lay eggs and on the thirdy day of having eggs. right before they become wigglers. when they have wigglers i should not do a water change and i should take out the filter. This is where i have a question. i did do water changes when i had wigglers.
but id id not use ro water. i use my usual tap water. does that mater that much? i try not doing a huge amount because the water is harder then ro water.
or should i keep doing water changes with only ro water when they have wigglers

BOBT00LS
02-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Hello. I only use RO to get them to lay eggs. Once there are eggs I siphon excrement off the bottom regularly and do a partial water change daily using aged, and heated tap water treated with prime. There is no need to remove the sponge filter until they become free swimmers. This is done only to aid in the fry attaching to the parents especially if they are not dark discus as the fry are attracted to the dark colors and vibrations. I hope this helps.

Bob

aznboystyl3
02-20-2008, 12:48 PM
well my tap water is hard
so wouldnt doing water changes while the eggs arent hatched yet kill the eggs?

what about doing water changes with hard tap water while they are wigglers? should i still do ro?

Elite Aquaria
02-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Hard water will not kill the eggs...just do small water changes over a few days...The water only needs to be soft during the fertilization process...once the eggs are fertilized the eggs do not need to be in soft water.

When changing water on wigglers the PH and water temp needs to be very close to the tank water. So make sure you are aging your water and matching those parameters. Good luck

bonifacelan
02-21-2008, 12:19 PM
for my experience, i do 20% waterchange every other day using soft water and same temperature with breeding tank, minimal feeding for the pair. Happy Discus Keeping!

tdr1919
02-21-2008, 11:31 PM
I do like Bob tools, I only use thin tubing and siphon off the excrement, maybe 1/2" of water every day. I leave the sponge filter in.
when they become free swimmers I lower the water to about an inch above the dorsal of the parent, this is key to your success!
I have good tap water, so I just use heated tap water.

Tom