PDA

View Full Version : When is a Discus an Adult?

aquagal
02-20-2008, 08:56 PM
I've read alot about feeding/care requirements for juvenilles versus adult discus but have no idea when a discus is considered adult?

I assume most 2.5-3 inch discus from reputable sources are around 3 months old?

Don Trinko
02-21-2008, 08:59 AM
typicaly they can breed at 12 to 18 months. How they grow is dependent on feeding and water quality. They grow fast at first and then slow down after a year or so. Sometimes you get a runt.
Mine are between 9 months and a year old. Most of them are 5 to 6" but one is only 3.5". It is a picky eater and has grown very little.
Don T.

YSS
02-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Also, what is an average size of a full grown discus? From what I heard, discus attain its maximum size before reaching 2 years.

tdr1919
02-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Also, what is an average size of a full grown discus? From what I heard, discus attain its maximum size before reaching 2 years.

I have some "old" discus over 3 years old, my adults average around 5" to 6"

Tom

YSS
02-22-2008, 01:14 AM
I have some "old" discus over 3 years old, my adults average around 5" to 6"

Tom

Is it including the tail or just the body? My oldest is approaching 2 years and he is about 5" just the body. One of new wilds (don't know how old) is about 6", again just the body. I have three just over a year old about 5" as well.

deepblue
02-22-2008, 03:31 PM
I have the same question. Their growth rate seem to differ. Somehow 50% of my discus seem to be middle sexed(no will to pair off) and the only two pair-The male blue BD is infertile;his best shot was 3 wigglers and another pair is two females :mad:

DiscusOnly
02-22-2008, 04:35 PM
I have a dozen of less than 6 months old Discus that are about the same size as a few of my discus that are over a year old. The funny part is that they have stayed that size for almost a year. Their body is much thicker than the juvies but overall, their lenght and height is the same.

I forgot old the Juvies were when I got it (probably less than 3 months) but I only had them for 2 months. They started out about 2.5" but are over 3.5" now.

aquagal
02-22-2008, 04:43 PM
My question has more to do with calender age, not size. Are discus considered adults when they are 1 year old, 2 years old...etc. I know their size will vary greatly based on a variety of factors...