PDA

View Full Version : your fav. schooling fish...just for fun!

happygirl65
02-21-2008, 07:53 PM
SO what is your favorite schooling (shoaling) fish?

AND would you keep them with discus....why/why not?

tacks
02-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Hello I have about 100 cardinals in my planted 90 with 5 wild greens. They look great in there and do stay together because of the discus. take care Ed

Kindredspirit
02-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Great Thread, Happy;)

I love Rummynose Tetras, then next are Cardinals and I believe both can be kept with Discus!

You should do a Poll....do you know how? That would be fun!

happygirl65
02-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Great Thread, Happy;)

I love Rummynose Tetras, then next are Cardinals and I believe both can be kept with Discus!

You should do a Poll....do you know how? That would be fun!

A poll would be great....don't know how....could you fill me in? :)

dmun24
02-21-2008, 11:36 PM
IHAVE CARDINELS RUMMYNOSE FIREGREEN TETRASAND BLEEDINGHEARTS AND ALL DO GREAT

GottaBeKiN
02-21-2008, 11:50 PM
I like a school of clown loaches

fishmama
02-22-2008, 12:00 AM
This is not a tankmate for discus...nor SA but, my favorite schooling fish are Roseline Barbs (Puntius Denisonii):

Kindredspirit
02-22-2008, 09:34 AM
A poll would be great....don't know how....could you fill me in? :)

Okay ~ I think you can go to "edit post"...full advance"......and then look on the bottom for POLL options ~ if I remember....

Then ~

You have a choice how long to keep the poll going, and how many options you wish to give the public~

I love polls! Good luck:)

Marie ~ :balloon:

digthemlows
02-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Rummynose tetra, then H. Rasbora (or Tbone tetra) then Cardinals. I have 20 rasbora in my tank and 25 more in QT right now..........they were on sale at petco for $0.99 and I couldn't resist!

happygirl65
02-22-2008, 11:40 AM
I figured it out....it's under thread tools! :)

discuskeeper08
02-24-2008, 03:16 PM
I had a school of polkadot loaches and I thought they were fun little suckers

dpt8
02-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Any schooling tetra is awesome but my favorite is Rummy-nose !!! David T

ShinShin
02-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Cardinals are my favorite, but rummynose and black neons work just as well. White Clouds, cool mountain stream natives of Asia, would be totally unacceptable, IMO.

Mat

scolley
02-24-2008, 11:31 PM
I voted "other" because my favorite is similar to Cardinal tetras, but are actually "green neon tetra"s (Paracheirodon simulans). While they are called "green" they are actually all blue. For all the world they look like Cardinals without the red stripe. And they school GREAT.

They are a wonderful fish, but VERY hard to find in North America. So I'm bringing it up here in the hopes of driving up a bit of demand. If you want to see some in action, pls go look at one of my threads.

Yet in the interest of full disclosure, in my limited experience, I think Rummy's actually school a bit better than Cardinals or Greens. I just prefer the Greens in my tank.

two utes
02-24-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm keeping Harlequins and Cardinal tetras in my discus community tank. They look good and get along well with the discus and their conditions. Good thread Tori...and l like the poll idea.:D

terps
02-25-2008, 01:16 PM
I voted for cardinal tetras. They are great looking if you get a large grouping(over 100).

el wad
02-27-2008, 01:24 AM
rummynose and/or red-eyed tetras.

Kindredspirit
02-27-2008, 09:06 AM
and l like the poll idea.:D

:D:D She did well!

Ed13
03-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Rummy nose all the way!!!:)
No other fish looks as good with discus as these if you ask me, wheter you like them or not a large school of 30 or more looks super impressive way better than cardinals. But if you are comparing individual fish then the cardinals take the win.

Dissident
03-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Well every tank should have a school of tetras and loaches. Congo tetras are nice too but do not school as well as the rummy nose but adds a nice little varity. As far as loaches I am a big striata (Zebra) fan.

Jstuver
03-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Do loaches eat plants or shrimp?

Dissident
03-07-2008, 06:01 PM
They are fine with plants.

Shrimp can become a snack depending on the size of the loach and the shrimp. If you want the shrimp to breed, do not keep loaches (or much of anything else) in the tank.

Jstuver
03-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Cool thanks.

happygirl65
03-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I voted "other" because my favorite is similar to Cardinal tetras, but are actually "green neon tetra"s (Paracheirodon simulans). While they are called "green" they are actually all blue. For all the world they look like Cardinals without the red stripe. And they school GREAT.

They are a wonderful fish, but VERY hard to find in North America. So I'm bringing it up here in the hopes of driving up a bit of demand. If you want to see some in action, pls go look at one of my threads.

Yet in the interest of full disclosure, in my limited experience, I think Rummy's actually school a bit better than Cardinals or Greens. I just prefer the Greens in my tank.

WOW! You are right...they are stunning....but then so is your entire tank! :shocked:

pcsb23
03-07-2008, 08:28 PM
well I voted for two ;) Cardinals and rummynose. Cardinals are imo one the loveliest fish period. Great with discus, vibrantly colourful and tend to weave in and out of the plants.

Rummynose are also very attractive, they school,tighter than cardinals and look great. I sometimes think they get a bit frenetic though :D

You really should not put White Clouds with discus, the temp is way too high and they (white clouds) like really fast running water, lovely fish though.

I also like puntius denisoni absolutely beautiful fish, bt not one I'd put with discus.

Many loaches work well with discus, I'm still a fan of clowns and provided the tank is large and you keep them is groups they do very well.

GottaBeKiN
03-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Hey, would discus consider schooling fish?

pcsb23
03-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Hey, would discus consider schooling fish?:D I would.

tiger
03-08-2008, 10:15 AM
My fav would be a tank of RED and GOLD Asian Arowana swimming in a large tank.

Apistomaster
03-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Green Neons, P. simulans are my personal favorite. I don't keep them with Discus but I have a 35 gal tank set up with 25 Green Neons, 10 Green Fire Tetras(Aphyocharax rathbuni), mulititude of cherry shrimp and a trio of Panaque sp. L204. This is my 2nd favorite tank following the Heckels in the living room.
I agree with scolley, that Rummy Nose may be the better schooling fish. All the Parachierodon species normally school when frightened. They tend to scatter into a loose group or smaller groups when they don't feel threatened,
I have loved these guys ever since I shipped in my first specimens in 1970. Hard to describe why but they seem to be a more interesting species than Cardinals.

vera
03-16-2008, 06:00 PM
for me Endler's livebearers are the best company for discus ,when kept males only-the best sight ever and dont steal food fr discus:) can be kept in up to 32C
also Ember tetra

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/endl022.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/DSCF3338.jpg

happygirl65
03-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Cool choices guys...I had never heard of some of these before. It is so nice to expand our horizons isn't it?

ed8t
03-16-2008, 10:02 PM
I have 4 schooling fish with my discus, rummynose, cardinals, sterbai corys and hatchetfish. I prefer the rummys to the cardinals, but cool to have other schooling fish at the top (hatchets) and the corys scurrying around at the bottom.

MD Bandit
03-18-2008, 04:26 PM
8 Rummy nose, 18 Green Neons, 12 Gold Tetras, and 6 Corys and 3 BN Plecos. 7 Discus on the way from Cary this Saturday.:)
Out of all the fish, the Rummy noses school the best. They stick together and cruise the tank in a pack.