PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Juvie! Seems sick

DiscusChris
02-23-2008, 06:16 PM
++++Go to last post+++++

I got this Juvie 2 days ago in the mail. When he got here there were no marks on him, he was just very stressed from being mailed. I put him in the QT tank with his 3 brothers and within hours they all regained their natural color. Hes the only one that has remained solid black.

Theyre all eating, even he will chase after the brine shrimp and gobble them down. I noticed the white marks on him today. It looks like his color has been worn away on his head, Ive never seen anything like that so I thought I would ask.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/crazyneonguy/MTG/P1010049.jpg

Why hasnt he regained his colors? I dont want him to die so any help you guys can give I would appreciate. Im doing 25% water changes daily and my ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is at zero. The temp is 84 deg and Im adding salt with every water change. The PH is about 6.5.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Chris

DiscusChris
02-23-2008, 07:58 PM
So someone moved my post, but they couldnt help me.

Anyone? Please help me keep this guy alive

DiscusChris
02-23-2008, 10:56 PM
so 8 people posted to the above thread, but nobody can help me?

judy
02-23-2008, 11:17 PM
I'd help if I had any suggestions-- but I don't have a clue, other than to think it may be damage from shipping (you got them in the MAIL???? that's just crazy!).
If it's just scrapes from shipping, then he's probably just still very stressed and that's why he's so dark. It may take him longer to settle in than the others. I'd just keep doing what you're doing-- it may take some time. If he's eating, that's a good sign.
If you see any signs of infection setting, describe it and maybe we can help with a suggested med.

DiscusChris
02-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Well thanks Judy, Im glad to see that someone cares. Ill let you know if anything changes

bearcat
02-24-2008, 01:18 AM
I don't now if I can help but I was talking to a person in a local fish store and he had some discus in rely bad shape ,dark like yours ,losing slime coat ,he treated them with marcyn 2 and they have shown great recovery.
Just a suggestion.
Rick

DiscusChris
02-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Ive been thinking about putting them all through a treatment in the event that theyre all now exposed to whatever it is hurting this one. Any other suggestions or did Rick nail it on the head?

Graham
02-24-2008, 10:44 AM
:shocked2::shocked2:mailed??????????? What that fish went through to get to you it's lucky to be alive

The only thing I'd do to these fish is add some salt to thier water....like 1 teaspoon per gallon (0.1%) and maintain that level.

No Chems or antibiotics, thier body chemistry is messed up enough at the moment

DiscusChris
02-24-2008, 11:34 AM
By mailed I mean overnighted from everyones favorite fish vendor.

aquagal
02-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Looks like the Somethings Phishy syndrome...

I really hate seeing the fish coming out of that place...it's very sad.

Seems like someone just went through what you're going through. I think she had to treat several times w/ maracyn. However, I would trust Graham's advice to add salt and give them some time to recover.

DiscusChris
02-24-2008, 04:03 PM
So stay away from meds? I think the mark on his head came from him scraping up against things. He seems itchy. Maybe its just my imagination.

And I had ordered from them before and had great results. Thats why I ordered again. 7/8 discus have all been exactly what I expected. Its just this one guy thats looking rough. Hes eating like a champ and fighting off the other ones whenever they want to mess with him.

Lee C
02-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Has that fish been juiced with testosterone!??
My best guess.:mad:

DiscusChris
02-24-2008, 04:22 PM
How would I know?

DiscusChris
02-24-2008, 04:29 PM
**Update**

I just went to check on him and he had some color! He came right up to the front of the tank and looked at me, then went back to black and swam away. Theres hope! Now if only I could get him to stay that way.

Lee C
02-24-2008, 04:44 PM
How would I know?

Chris,
Discus usually do not get to their potential coloration until 3.5 to 4 inches minimum.
Just a guess that the one in the pic is about 2.5 incher.
If it was imported, only the breeder would know for sure, but that is my best guess.
When you get back in Georgia, let me know and I will show you some discus that are over 7 inches w/o being "hit".
regards,
Lee

DiscusChris
02-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Probably July or so. Ill be in touch man, thanks

DiscusChris
02-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Alright. My second fish of the same type started showing the same symptoms last night, so I picked up some Maracyn today. I did my 25% water change for the day and added the meds. Hopefully these guys will perk up.

My question is, when I do my water change tomorrow will 25% be enough? I do 1 WC per day around noon and Ill be adding the meds and salt directly after. Do I need to do a larger change? Change the temp or lighting while theyre being medicated?

Any guidance here is appreciated, thanks in advance :D

judy
02-26-2008, 07:04 PM
a fifty per cent WC woudd be better.

Lee C
02-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Chris,
Can you bump your temp. up to 88F or 90? and see if there is a change.
Salt and heat, step up the aeration too.
Lee

DiscusChris
02-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Alright, Ill make more of a wc today and bump up the temp and see what happens. Ill keep you guys updated

DiscusChris
02-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Alright, temps up to almost 88. Did the water change for the day and added meds and salt. Also added a large airstone which really seemed to perk them up a lot.

So I guess thats all i can do today, Ill send an update if anything changes.

DiscusChris
02-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Color!

Not only is the 1 newly sick juvie showing color again, but the original black juvie is showing small hints of his true colors! Im so glad theyre looking better. Theyre still labored in breathing and sluggish, but theyre both eating and moving so I guess its just a matter of time.

I think the airstone/temp combo along with the meds have really turned these guys around. Ill keep everyone updated and thank you everyone who helped me out!

DiscusChris
02-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Well geez.

Came home from work today and I had the 2 guys laying on the bottom. I tried stirring them up, but they just sank back and couldnt do anything. My water is just fine, 87deg 0 Ammo/Trite/Trate.

The other discus are doing absolutely great, Im going to continue treating them with the maracyn just in case.

As far as the 2 guys who arent moving and just barely puffing, I really hate to even think about it but it seems like I should do something to put them out of their misery. I feel terrible about it but they deserve to be as comfortable as possible. How do I do it? I dont want to just flush them while theyre still alive, but I cant just leave them in the tank and wait for them to die. Im afraid that the other 2 will come down with the same thing (if they havent already that is)

Help me do the right thing

Graham
02-28-2008, 07:27 PM
If you feel that the fish should be destroyed then buy some oil of cloves at the drug store. Add about 15 drops to a gallon of aquarium water and mix well.

Drop the fish in and they'll go to sleep with all gill function stopping after about 30 minutes

G

Diskboy12
02-28-2008, 10:15 PM
or you can put them in a container rubbermaid or whatever, fill it with tank water and put them in it then place them in the freezer and as the water cools so do they and they fall asleep and pass away sad I know but I have used it in the past and I feel it is more humane.

-Kevin

DiscusChris
02-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Alright. Sorry to say that the 2 little guys were put to rest today. It was really hard but they're in a better place. Although I had only had them for a week, the constant care and grooming made them feel a lot more personal than any fish Ive ever had.

Ive learned my internet lesson the hard way I guess. I just wonder if these guys would have lived had I not ordered them. What a bummer. Now my other 2 healthy ones are all alone and Ive got to find some more to replace these once I get the remaining guys into their permanent home.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Graham
02-28-2008, 11:14 PM
or you can put them in a container rubbermaid or whatever, fill it with tank water and put them in it then place them in the freezer and as the water cools so do they and they fall asleep and pass away sad I know but I have used it in the past and I feel it is more humane.

-Kevin

Actually Kevin freezing is not the best way...as the water cools, ice crystals form within thier cells, rupturing them.

G