PDA

View Full Version : Unsure of what this is--any help???

barrelracer1031
02-24-2008, 12:59 PM
I currently have 7 growing discus in a 75 gallon tank. They have been doing great. Just in the past two weeks or so the largest discus has become a little aggressive with some of the others. Thus far he mainly swims at the others, but does tend to bump into them as well. About two days ago one of the fish developed a white fluffy growth coming from the left side of its head directly behind its eye. This is the only fish effected. I have taken a picture of this fish and will try to post it with this message, I am not having any luck getting my picture under the KB, so I will try to post a picture later.

A few of the others have these other marks on them. The marks are difficult to see unless the fish is at the right angle, thus I couldn't get any pictures of them. The marks are small circles that look a little bit more pale than the surrounding colored area. The marks were primarily on the top of their bodies by their dorsal fins--where the aggressive fish bumps into them. However, there are also a few marks showing up on the dorsal fin and it seems that there are more of these areas showing up along the body of the fish as well.
I was wondering if this description is enough for someone to recognize what is going on...? I have been reading all of the posts about different diseases and not much seems to be applying here. Of course I do not want to lose these discus, but also don't want to treat for something that doesn't exist. Thank you all for your help!!!!

pcsb23
02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
I currently have 7 growing discus in a 75 gallon tank. !
That is your answer :) They are growing and going through the discus equivalent of puberty. The white fluffy stuff is either fungus from a wound or dead scales/flesh from a wound. Maintaining good water quality and tank cleanliness should be all that is needed.

Just keep watching though.

barrelracer1031
02-28-2008, 10:51 PM
I stayed with the water changes and no meds for a few days while waiting for some advise. The white fluffy thing disappeared, there is no hole or any evidence that this thing was on the discus! Thanks for your help.