PDA

View Full Version : Spooked By Your Own Reflection

a5610z
02-25-2008, 06:22 AM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has this problem with a BB tank?
Mine seem exceptionally sensitive to their own reflections and when one gets spooked, it kinda triggers the rest to go into hiding as well.

Does anyone else have the same predicament?

Cheers,
Jon

dishpanhands
02-25-2008, 06:46 AM
No I don't have any trouble like that. I have the bottom covered from the outside. If your tank is open on the bottom, then that will make them jumpy.I put a piece of cardboard down the same size as the tank then set the tank on that. You can always paint it.

a5610z
02-25-2008, 08:01 AM
I do have a piece of foam underneath the tank, but I think that aids in the reflection a bit.

Thus Im considering substrate...

dishpanhands
02-25-2008, 08:39 AM
they don't see a reflection. they only see one piece of glass..to see a reflection it take two pieces of glass. This how they make the old side show trick were a person would change before your eyes. If you look in from the top you won't see a reflection.

dishpanhands
02-25-2008, 08:52 AM
If your casting a shadow into the tank by having light behind you and walking infront of the tank that can spook them.

aquagal
02-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Mine do the same (in their QT tank). Freaks them out!

a5610z
02-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks for your replies,

Think you are right. Think this shadow casting is definitely an issue, I should move the tank.

However in saying that, if you get them acclimatised (if its possible?) they should be okay with shadows, after all, I'm sure there are moving shadows in their natural habit?

Jon

aquagal
02-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I have five discus in a tank that are affraid of everything scatter every time I walk near the tank. I have five in another that don't seem to be bothered by anything...? Not sure why?

a5610z
02-25-2008, 07:09 PM
This is exactly the same problem that I have!

Maybe its genetics? I wonder if there is some genetic trait that has been bred out(in) over the years by all this selective breeding...

Jon

aquagal
02-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Not sure about genetics influencing the "freak out" factor? The five that are affraid of everything are bred domestically. The five that are cool as a cucumber came from Asia.

2sybs
02-26-2008, 11:34 AM
I was told by an old breeder once to keep them at eye level if possible, He explained that in the wild one of the main predators are birds from above so when you come at them from that angle they spook. now even with domestics I am sure they retain certain instincts.
Ray

Harriett
02-26-2008, 12:40 PM
I have noticed significant scatter and panic in my bare bottom tanks if I approach them wearing a dark color, especially if I am just coming into the room and they haven't been watching me doodling around in there. They just flip out. I can approach without sparking any discus anxiety if I am wearing light colored clothes. If I wear dark and freak them out and just pull the offending shirt off that minute, for example, they calm down right away. I think they are hard wired for shadows and large dark objects in general, as danger. I have noticed that the discus in the big planted tank, where there is lots of cover and they are all adults, they never freak out, whatever I am wearing when I approach the tank. I do think juvies have a faster panic switch than adults also.
Best regards
Harriett

discuskeeper08
02-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I get spooked by my own reflection all the time.

White Worm
02-26-2008, 02:31 PM
I have noticed significant scatter and panic in my bare bottom tanks if I approach them wearing a dark color, especially if I am just coming into the room and they haven't been watching me doodling around in there. They just flip out. I can approach without sparking any discus anxiety if I am wearing light colored clothes. If I wear dark and freak them out and just pull the offending shirt off that minute, for example, they calm down right away. I think they are hard wired for shadows and large dark objects in general, as danger. I have noticed that the discus in the big planted tank, where there is lots of cover and they are all adults, they never freak out, whatever I am wearing when I approach the tank. I do think juvies have a faster panic switch than adults also.
Best regards
Harriett

Ditto. They do not like dark colors or quick moves over their head.

a5610z
02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks alot for the replies everyone,

I concur with the dark colored clothes, they seem to hate it when Im wearing anything blue.

I think Im gonna try a substrated tank. I already have a piece of driftwood with some moss growing on it. They seem better I must say, but they still spook, sometimes they just spook for no reason, I could be sitting there watching them eat, not moving an inch, and then for no apparent reason they just freak out and dart around in all directions. It is frustrating and confusing haha!

Jon

White Worm
02-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Thats just normal behavior. One might startle another and then its a chain reaction for about 3-5 seconds and then all is back to normal.

a5610z
02-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Hi Mikscus,

I've noticed that some of them startle alot more than the others. I have a group of Reds that are really bold, but when my Ghosts start freaking out, they just lose it too.

Should I remove the Ghosts? I have another tank which I can start up...

Thanks,
Jon

White Worm
02-26-2008, 05:29 PM
I dont think you will ever cure them from getting startled. I have adults right now and I have had them all together for over a year now. I still startle them once in a while. They still startle each other once in a while. No getting around it.

a5610z
02-28-2008, 06:31 AM
Hmm, I guess there aint no way round it huh...:confused: