PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinion water storage...

wilddiscuss
02-25-2008, 03:09 PM
I have learned that my PH swings from 7.3 to 8.3 after a 24 hour aging. So my problems that I have been having with my discus have been answered. I need some opinions on where to get a good storage unit. But this is the problem. I live in a small home and I have limited space to store it. Here is the demensions in width I need, height isn't much of an issue. I need a storage that is 18 x 18 inch square but like I said height isn't an issue. I assume I need about 50 gallons of storage water for my 75 gallon tank. Please let me know your ideas. I am looking to run a line with a submersable pump to fill my tank back up as well. If you have some ideas please let me know.

Thanks,
Todd

brewmaster15
02-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Todd,
Water storage containers that size will be tough to find...
Aquaticecosystems....
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm

They have a large assortment of sizes...

hth,
al

aquagal
02-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Not sure if you're going to find anything as narrow as 18"? I use a 35gal Rubbermaid Brute trashcan on wheels. I have a Mag Drive pump I use to pump heated and aerated water bag into my 55gal tanks.

I'd search the internet for "water storage barrels", there are quite a few sites that sell all sorts of sizes. These might be a bit more narrow. I think the most narrow one I saw was 23"?

Good luck.

FatFutures
02-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Keep an eye on Craigslist as well. Amazing the kind of stuff you can find there!

RockHound
02-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Take a tape measure, to HomeDepot, Lowes, or any large home improvement / hardware type store.

Look through the heavy duty plastic trash/garbage cans.
They come in all shapes, sizes, heights & widths.

You may find something that fits where you need it.

wilddiscuss
02-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Take a tape measure, to HomeDepot, Lowes, or any large home improvement / hardware type store.

Look through the heavy duty plastic trash/garbage cans.
They come in all shapes, sizes, heights & widths.

You may find something that fits where you need it.

Thanks I'll head up to home depot right now!

Todd

wilddiscuss
02-25-2008, 04:33 PM
1 other quick question.... do I have to clean out the water storage can from home depot or can I just throw water in there and start aging it right away?

brewmaster15
02-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Todd,
Fill the container up with very hot water....look for Oil residue floating....not all containers are food grade plastic...so be careful what you use.

-al

RockHound
02-25-2008, 04:41 PM
1 other quick question.... do I have to clean out the water storage can from home depot or can I just throw water in there and start aging it right away?

They are clean. But, to be on the safe side.
Just wipe it out with a damp sponge, or paper towels (no soap).
It should be GOOD TO GO, after that.

EDIT TO ADD:

Brewmaster15's advice is more sound than mine.
But, these things are usualy vaccum or blow molded.
So, I assume there would be no oily residue.

Personaly, I use food grade plastic drums, for water storage/conditioning.
But, space is not an issue, with me.

aquaticplantman
02-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Todd,

I have what may be the perfect solution for you. Not sure if you're still in the market for a storage tank. I have a ~30-35 gallon plastic drum which is just a miniature version of a normal 55 gallon drum. It's narrower (though I'm not sure of the actual dimensions, I'll check tonight), and shorter than a 55 gallon drum. The only drawback is that it's not 50 gallons like you said you were looking for.

I used this to store and age smaller volumes of water when I had a breeder tank set up. I don't expect to use it anymore in the future. I have this drum wrapped with Refletix Insulation and it has a closed top except for a hole just big enough to fit the pump down into. It's very energy efficient. I do have a pump (Via Aqua 2600) and hose to go with it. As such, I'm not going to simply give it away, but if you're interested we might be able to work something out. Not sure about shipping. It's not terribley heavy, but I'll bet the "demensional shipping" will come into effect.

Let me know what you think,
-- Matt H.

wilddiscuss
02-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Todd,

I have what may be the perfect solution for you. Not sure if you're still in the market for a storage tank. I have a ~30-35 gallon plastic drum which is just a miniature version of a normal 55 gallon drum. It's narrower (though I'm not sure of the actual dimensions, I'll check tonight), and shorter than a 55 gallon drum. The only drawback is that it's not 50 gallons like you said you were looking for.

I used this to store and age smaller volumes of water when I had a breeder tank set up. I don't expect to use it anymore in the future. I have this drum wrapped with Refletix Insulation and it has a closed top except for a hole just big enough to fit the pump down into. It's very energy efficient. I do have a pump (Via Aqua 2600) and hose to go with it. As such, I'm not going to simply give it away, but if you're interested we might be able to work something out. Not sure about shipping. It's not terribley heavy, but I'll bet the "demensional shipping" will come into effect.

Let me know what you think,
-- Matt H.

Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I think I'm all set though. I went to Home Depot and bought a BRUTE Rubbermaid 44 gallon garbage can. From the threads here on simply...alot of people are using it. Plus I talked to Cari from great lakes discus. He recomended the same. I was glad to talk to him. Cari and I both have Detroit water...and his is stable and mine is not. But my water comes from another detroit water supply than his. That is why I couldn't figure out my PH problem. Learn from my mistakes though. Always age your water and check the PH before and after. Now I know. I also bough a subersable pump and ran some PVC to a hose connection and a "T" connection to a drain so when I need to clean it I can rinse and drain all with the sump. It's beatiful....lol. So problem solved and moving forward to my next newbie learning experience.

I do have one question though.... do you still add a water conditioner to your aged water? I wasn't sure about that. Please let me know :)

Thanks all for helping.

Todd

aquagal
02-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Do NOT add conditioner to the water barrel as the water will start to get funky. I think the chlorine in the tap water prevents this from happening (as quickly). I add Prime to my tank right before I'm about to add the aged water.

Don Trinko
02-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Try Stiring the water before you check ph. Several times my surface ph was different from the lower levels. (no areation )
Don T.

aquaticplantman
02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Do NOT add conditioner to the water barrel as the water will start to get funky.

I have a difference of opinion -- especially if you have chloramines and not just chlorine. I add conditioner to the barrel a few minutes before pumping it into the tank. Conditioners (whether it's Prime or AmQuel) work plenty fast enough. When I do a WC on my larger planted display tank, I do add conditioner to the tank as the water goes in. But that's on a 30% water change. It's much more risky if you're doing a 50% or more WC on a BB tank to add the conditioner as you fill. Yes, the barrel will start to become it's own ecosystem over time, but IME they don't become clinically funky until 6-8 months.