PDA

View Full Version : Won Bro's strike again!!

jeep
02-26-2008, 11:25 AM
I guess about a week ago I lost the syphon in one of my water barrels. I haven't been using it that much so I didn't worry about it too much. Then, one day I came home the other day to a strange smell of plastic in the air.. Oops, forgot to unplug the heater, lol... :D

I was wondering why it was so humid in my house for the past few days :o
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/eesob/heatermalfunction005.jpg
Burned right through the barrel...
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/eesob/heatermalfunction003.jpg
Remo says hi, dumba**... :D
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/eesob/heatermalfunction007.jpg

I guess asbestos floors are good for something, huh??? If it were made of wood I'd probably be typing from a hotel room right about now...
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/eesob/heatermalfunction001.jpg

Moral of the story, turn off your heaters if you don't plan on using them, lol...

digthemlows
02-26-2008, 11:31 AM
wow, you were lucky! Glad everything is still around!

brewmaster15
02-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Lol,

Brian...I did the exact same thing with my ebo in my Ro bin.....melted right thru it. then cracked the ebo.:(

Theres only one thing worse than forgetting about a heater and melting the barrel... forgetting about the heater and remembering about it after you put your hand on it.:bandana: and yep...done that too many times also.

-al

alpine
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I am setting up my BRUTE rubbermaid for RO water and just put an air ball and a heater down in it . I started thinking of the posibility of the heater melting the plastic in the container .
What a nightmare , lucky that is all the damage you had done to the house .
No more WON BROs for me ... I parted with all of them about three months ago.

Roberto.

Don Trinko
02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Many of the new heaters shut themselves off if they are run without water. Your "new" water barrel would be a good place for one! Don T.

Ardan
02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Glad nothing worse happened, Brian:)

Ardan

thang45
02-27-2008, 11:23 PM
ebo heater melted my BRUTE rubbermaid too. Now I always turn my heater off while I do WC.

Thank God you caught it in time.

fishmama
02-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Goodness...that is a near miss. I zip tied my 1000W heater cord to a pvc pipe running above the water storage tank and marked with tape on the electrical cord itself the level it "SHOULD NOT GO BELOW" so it won't touch the bottom.

Glad you are not in a hotel!:D

thang45
02-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Goodness...that is a near miss. I zip tied my 1000W heater cord to a pvc pipe running above the water storage tank and marked with tape on the electrical cord itself the level it "SHOULD NOT GO BELOW" so it won't touch the bottom.

Glad you are not in a hotel!:D

That's a great idea.

GrillMaster
02-28-2008, 01:41 AM
OOPS...Empty barrel+plugged in heater=nasty plastic smell in the air!! ;) :D :D

Although I haven't yet had the privilege of the sweet smell of plastic, I have awakened to the 70 deg chill of the 75G tank in which I failed to plug the heater back in after the WC. :(

thang45
02-28-2008, 10:36 AM
OOPS...Empty barrel+plugged in heater=nasty plastic smell in the air!! ;) :D :D

Although I haven't yet had the privilege of the sweet smell of plastic, I have awakened to the 70 deg chill of the 75G tank in which I failed to plug the heater back in after the WC. :(

It happens to me all the time:D:D. I hate do WC @ 90% you tend to forget to plug the heater in more often. Sometimes it took me two days to realize that I forgot.:mad::mad:

seanyuki
02-28-2008, 12:37 PM
It happens to me all the time:D:D. I hate do WC @ 90% you tend to forget to plug the heater in more often. Sometimes it took me two days to realize that I forgot.:mad::mad:

Hi,:D

The same for me but this may help and learnt this from a friend.
What I do is have the heaters and sponge filters plugs on the same powerbar, separate from lights, powerfilter etc. Flick it off before water changes and back on when done. No bubbles from the sponge filters is a reminder to turn the power bar back on.

Cheers
Francis