PDA

View Full Version : filteration

namasgt
02-28-2008, 01:21 AM
hello
i use sponge filter in my 75 gallon tank but sometimes the sound of the boubles and the pump Becomes annoying, so I turn it of I know its very bad for the fish but I just can’t concentrate to study. I bought a 350 penguin for 75 gallon tanks but it also makes water splash noise. So I stopped using it. Do any of you know of a good quiet power filter that I can use. I found some on Aquariumguys.com but I don’t know which is going to be quiet, I don’t want to buy one that’s gona end up like the 350 sitting in the corner of my room. My parents tell me to just get rid of all the discus and the tank until I finish my studies. But I can’t live without an aquarium.
thanks

GrillMaster
02-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Get a canister filter. XP3 will work good for ya. Just pack it full of sponges. No noise!!

2sybs
02-28-2008, 05:37 AM
Get a canister filter. XP3 will work good for ya. Just pack it full of sponges. No noise!!

I agree, The Rena XPs are very quiet and keep the water clean and clear. I've got the sponges and filter pads in both of mine.
Ray

digthemlows
02-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I love the sound of water! I welcome the bubbles and flow.............my Aquaclear 70 on my 30 gallon is dead silent though!

seanyuki
02-28-2008, 01:32 PM
hello
i use sponge filter in my 75 gallon tank but sometimes the sound of the boubles and the pump Becomes annoying, so I turn it of I know its very bad for the fish but I just can’t concentrate to study. I bought a 350 penguin for 75 gallon tanks but it also makes water splash noise. So I stopped using it. Do any of you know of a good quiet power filter that I can use. I found some on Aquariumguys.com but I don’t know which is going to be quiet, I don’t want to buy one that’s gona end up like the 350 sitting in the corner of my room. My parents tell me to just get rid of all the discus and the tank until I finish my studies. But I can’t live without an aquarium.
thanks

Hi,

Just add an air diffuser/air stone to the sponge filter .
FYI if you're using a Hydro sponge filter and have to disassemble it
and attach an air stone and here's pic.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF0459.jpg

Cheers
Francis

namasgt
02-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi
thanks for your replys
Francis i have exactly the same setup you put on the picture above
it reduce the big buble sound a lot and its more efficient in removing co2 with an air stone instaled.
thanks

namasgt
02-29-2008, 02:01 AM
has any body used this filter before?

marinland HOT Magnum Hang On Tank Convertible Canister Filter

kirkp
02-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I've got two of them and I really like them. Actually, I have in the past and will in the future use one of them in conjunction with a power filter. The HOT is going to be filled with siporax just for biological filtration and will eliminate the poly filter sleeve.

Kirk

DiscusKeeper
02-29-2008, 04:40 PM
namasgt,

I have four, one on each of my 75s. They do an excellent job, are dependable and are not to bad from a noise standpoint either. I have them filled with blast sand which does a good job both as a biological filter bed and still filters out fairly small particulate. I clean them every two weeks.

Mark

has any body used this filter before?

marinland HOT Magnum Hang On Tank Convertible Canister Filter

namasgt
03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Ok
ive been searching the net in the past few days i decided to buy a canister filter there are so many brands:
FLUVAL( i found that some users say its hard to clean and the clamps could break)
RENA( quiet but somaone said that he feels like their chiply made and are a pain to maintain)
MAGNUM( dicent filter has self primbing system)
Cascade(it seems like this one is new and its easy to Clean but one person on the review said that his start leaking from the top and he couldnt fix it, this happened after 6 months of use, also replacement pads are expensive)
there is this other german brand called eihem i think, but i wana stay away from it a lot of people say its not wort paying and its overpriced.
I FEEL LIKE EVEN IF I KEEP MY SPONGE FILTER THAT IS NOISY IS NOT ENOUGH TO KEEP THE TANK CLEAN I DISAGREE TO HAVE ONLY A SPONGE FILTER IN A DISCUS TANK UNLESS YOUR GONA CHANGE THE WATER 5 TIMES A DAY THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOME SMALL PARTICLE FLOWTING IN THE WATER AFTER ALL I CANT SYFUN OUT EVRY SMALL PIECES?
SO I REALLY WANT TO BUY A CANISTER FILTER BUT I WANT TO BUY ONE THAT I WOULD NOT REGRET PAYING FOR AFTER A FEW MONTHS. IVE ALLREADY BOUGHT SO MANY THINGS THAT I REGRET INCLUDING SOME OF MY DISCUS I BOUGHT ONLINE FROM A REPUTABLE SOURCE THAT I FOUND ON THIS FORUM?? BUT DIDNT CALLED HIM BACK TO COMPLAIN!
ANYWAY I WOULD REALLY APRECIATE YOUR INPUT AND EXPERIENCE ON THESE DIFFERENT BRANDS PRICE DOESNT MATTER SOMETIMES EXPENSIVE THINGS ARE THE CHIPEST THINGS YOU CAN BUY BUT THE CHIPEST THINGS COULD COST YOU A LOT.
THANKS
ALI

GrillMaster
03-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Dont base your decision on one persons opinion about how cheap Rena's are made.

I have no problems whatsoever with the XP3's I have. I have had my original one for 4 years now. Still as quiet and effective as the day I bought it! The second one I bought a few months ago so its still to early to tell but man is it quiet! :)

You can buy one on ebay for $108...IMO it is the best canister filters on the market for the price.

hth
Mark

2sybs
03-02-2008, 05:42 AM
RENA( quiet but somaone said that he feels like their chiply made and are a pain to maintain)

You mean to say there are others that are easier to maintain?
All you need to do is flip the lever, remove the hoses and take the tank to the sink to clean it.
Keeps my water crystal clear as well.

tacks
03-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi the xp-3 is a good filter but you have to be careful the GPH are 350 anhour with out media and only 178 with. This is not a lot of filitration if you are lookingto turn your tank over 5-6 times per hr. I find Marineland to be a good filter and there GPH are stated with media. hth Ed

namasgt
03-02-2008, 03:06 PM
well i already ordered a cascade 1000 for my 75 gallon.
i was going to buy rena but people are two sided some say it leaks after 2 years some say the inlet and outlet nozles are not strong and could get damage leading to leak, but some other people are also happy with it. i cant risk that. cascade seems to be fair with a good price and i found out that it has 10 out of 10 rating compared to 7.5 for rena xp. i couldnt find as much as review compared to rena, but watever i found people had positive in put about it.
thanks