PDA

View Full Version : Does this discus have any hope?

mudvayne
03-06-2008, 12:26 AM
I got a shipment of discus in today. The delivery was a lot later than expected, but anyways. One unfortunately died in transport, another however has been in the tank for about 6 hours, and hes laying on the bottom breathing slowly, not swimming around. Is there any hope for this fish?

KJoFan
03-06-2008, 01:11 PM
I would make sure you keep the lights off, even put something over the tank to darken it if you can, add some salt to the water and let them be. Alot of us that got the challenge fish had some issues at first similar to what it sounds like you're having (right Jose?) and for the most part they all came around. I would give it some time to adjust and you might be surprised and see it swimming around the tank like nothing ever happened.

Let's hope for that at least! :)

Darrell Ward
03-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I got a 4" fish in a shipment last Sept. There was only about an inch of water in it's bag. The rest of it had leaked out. The poor fish was head down in the bag, with only it's head in water. I quickly put the fish in the tank, basically just picked it up and threw into the tank. It sank to the bottom like a stone. I didn't think it would survive. In a couple of days it was swimming and eating normally. Today, it's the alpha fish of that group. Discus can sometimes prove to be amazingly hardy. Don't give up on it unless it's dead. :D

AADiscus
03-06-2008, 03:42 PM
If the fish is still laying on the bottom I would lower the water level in the tank as much as you can keeping your filters running. You could try adding salt too.

mudvayne
03-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I added salt, and the breeder also mentioned lowering the water level, so I did. I havent noticed a difference yet. I just hope when I wake up tomorrow they'll still be breathing!

AADiscus
03-07-2008, 11:45 PM
How are they doing today? Any better? (got my fingers crossed)