PDA

View Full Version : Do I have hope for this fish?

mudvayne
03-06-2008, 12:51 AM
I got a shipment of discus in today. The delivery was a lot later than expected, but anyways. One unfortunately died in transport, another however has been in the tank for about 6 hours, and hes laying on the bottom breathing slowly, not swimming around. Is there any hope for this fish?

ShinShin
03-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Yes, there is hope. It has happened to me several times more than it should have, but it is just part of what you have to deal with when you send off for fish. The first two things I do is add salt to the water, 1-2 tbs/10gal and add a product that contains both malachite green and formalin. This has saved many discus that would have died (and did die before I did this). Of course, I don't know how badly your fish is at present. Quick action is the best action here, IMO.

Mat

mudvayne
03-06-2008, 01:17 AM
I added 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons 24 hours before arrival. Just hearing that someone else has gone through this is relieving. I assume malachite green and formalin is available at most pet stores?

ShinShin
03-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Yes, and I answered your PM as well.

Gordon C. Snelling
03-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Keep in mind many shippers also will sedate the fish for shipping. If this is the case it may well take some time for the fish to recover.

April
03-10-2008, 04:14 AM
give them lots of oxygen and wait. add an airstone. does he appear to have ammonia burns on his body or fins? if he does..could be his gills got burned also. but..theres lots of times bigger discus come in and lay on their side for a few days. ive seen as long as up to a week and then they get up. first leaning..then..finally up . so dont give up. as shinshin said..add the meds he suggested incase of burns or fungus and cross your fingers.
lets us know how it goes. hopefully he gets up.

judy
03-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Bleher suggests on another thread (sleeper fish, I think it was) that the fish be verticalised manually, and some "walk" these fish.. i.e. gently hold the fish between the palms of your hands and move it around slowly for awhile, sort of simulating swimming, to get the gills working better and more oxygen flowing. The sleeper fish thread may be helpful to you...