PDA

View Full Version : How Many Discus in the 265G?

YSS
03-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Just upgraded my discus tank from 90G to 265G. The dimensions are 7' by 2' by 30". I currently have 8 discus and whole bunch of other small (tetras) and medium sized (dwarf cichlids and clown loaches) fish.

The tank definitely has space for more discus. What would be the ideal number? The 90G looked really crowded with 8 discus in it, and I don't want that crowded look. I think the tank actually looks pretty good and not sure whether to get more discus or not. I have a good source where I can get several adult discus for real good price. I originally planned on getting 10 more, but that was before I upgraded. Now, I think adding 10 more would make the tank look very crowded. Any thoughts? How many discus do some of you keep in large tanks?

aquagal
03-10-2008, 08:34 PM
I've heard some goes as high as 40 gal/adult discus in a planted tank, so you may have all you should. Plus, it sounds like you have other fish in there with them which affects your stocking.

BTW, I'm in No. VA also, where is your source for discus in this area?

YSS
03-11-2008, 06:00 PM
I guess not too many folks keep discus in big planted tanks here ... :(

Anyhow, I live in Vienna, so we are practially neighbors. :) There is a member, RichieE, who lives south of Richmond who's moving and have been selling his discus. I am going down this Sunday to pick up some fish. Just need to decide how many.

Lee C
03-11-2008, 07:17 PM
I would go with twenty 5 inch plus sized.:D

aquagal
03-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Seems like there are a lot of users from the Northern Virginia area on this site.

Good luck with your fish pick up!

Sherry

moik
03-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Hey ,only put in 8discus and leave some room for yourself. So you can swim with the discus... J/K lololol

Hans Kloss
03-12-2008, 05:30 PM
How many discus do some of you keep in large tanks?

At now i have 4 adults in 220 gallons of water ;). But seriously, I think that 20 gallons per adult fish is quite good standard for large tanks. Avoid overcrowding if you like to watch natural behavior of adult discus school.
Hans

YSS
03-12-2008, 05:42 PM
I posted this pic on my other thread, but here it is again. I think I am going to pick up 4 to 6 more discus to make it total of 12 to 14.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/yunssong/265new.jpg