PDA

View Full Version : ASE book worth $300 now?

Brian Mc
03-11-2008, 12:06 AM
I pulled a stack of discus books out of the fish closet (a pain to get into) the other day and was disappointed to find today that Aquatic Systems Engineering wasn't in the pile. I think I may have lent it out a long time ago to a guy I doubt is still in discus. Anand, if you are still around I am looking for you lol.

I just hopped online to find that it is no longer in print and used copies are now worth $300. Grrr. I am going to search that closet a little harder.

happygirl65
03-12-2008, 10:46 PM
I think I would start spring cleaning a little early....lol.

Dkarc@Aol.com
03-13-2008, 06:40 PM
IMO, there are newer books out there that are current with new technology and are more indepth than the ASE book. My personal favorite right now is the Recirculating Aquaculture by M.B. Timmons, J.M. Ebeling 2007. Just under 1,000 pages long...it is geared more towards commercial aquaculture, but it is definetly a good read IF you are able to follow it. Plus, its a lot cheaper than the ASE book ($120).

-Ryan

brewmaster15
03-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Hmmm... I guess I better hold onto my copy of ASE now;):):):)

-al

Brian Mc
03-13-2008, 07:23 PM
You got that right happygirl. :)

Thanks for the recommendations Ryan, I might check that out. I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do with my new setup, I was really just looking for the ASE book because it had a CD with it that calculated volume & flow rates & stuff,taking into account head, pipe runs and everything, it made it really easy to design a new system.

Good idea Al. ;)

Dkarc@Aol.com
03-13-2008, 07:34 PM
You got that right happygirl. :)

Thanks for the recommendations Ryan, I might check that out. I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do with my new setup, I was really just looking for the ASE book because it had a CD with it that calculated volume & flow rates & stuff,taking into account head, pipe runs and everything, it made it really easy to design a new system.

Good idea Al. ;)

Not to get off topic...but how big is the new setup going to be? Let me know if you need any help designing it.

-Ryan

Brian Mc
03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Not to get off topic...but how big is the new setup going to be? Let me know if you need any help designing it.

-Ryan

Hey thanks Ryan, it will be pretty small, only one rack about 800-1000 gals or so. I am going compact to squeeze it into a small room to save on heating but that should give me enough big & small tanks to do what I need.

I have it all planned out in my head pretty much, it will prob be a central wet/dry system (DIY) also on a constant-drip (what we used to call it, I have seen it now referred to as flow-thru) and will also have the ability to isolate any tank off the central sys and change it to a constant-drip only with the choice of two water sources, hard or soft or you can mix them individually in each tank. Well water with no storage. I will mostly be importing/growing out but that will give me options come breeding time. The compactness adds a dimension to the planning. I know who to call now when I get in a jam (and I usually do :D ) thanks.

Dkarc@Aol.com
03-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Sounds good...shoot me a PM anytime you need help. Check your PM right now actually.

-Ryan

Brian Mc
03-13-2008, 08:28 PM
I did, nothing there. :D You must still be writing. In the small world department though, my best friend Glen the schoolteacher lives in Port Charlotte and has a friend named Ryan in the Tampa area that used to do discus. You?

Dkarc@Aol.com
03-13-2008, 08:44 PM
I did, nothing there. :D You must still be writing. In the small world department though, my best friend Glen the schoolteacher lives in Port Charlotte and has a friend named Ryan in the Tampa area that used to do discus. You?

Glen...I think he bought discus from me once before. Back in 2005 if I remember. He was from Tampa, im in the Orlando area. So maybe the same person...if not, then it was another Glen im thinking of, lol.

-Ryan