PDA

View Full Version : Shy due to lighting?

torch
03-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Two young discus in a barebottom tank with 18 watts T8 lighting on a 20 gallon high tank. there are two plants in the tank with sponge filters.

Why are they still shy whenever I turn on the lights? Its been about two weeks in this tank. They won't swim if the lights are on. THey hide behind the plants.

Could it be the barebottom tank is reflecting too much light?

judy
03-11-2008, 04:13 PM
It could be that the bottom, if it hasn't been painted on the outside, is reflecting like a mirror and scaring them. I've heard that's a common probelm with BB tanks. Also, just two discus will be shy and scared, especially juvies, who feel much mor comfortable in a colony of at least six.

torch
03-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I'll try adding some gravel to test this out, I will be adding one or two more young Discus to this tank, hope this makes them less shy.

happygirl65
03-11-2008, 04:37 PM
They also might not feel so shy if there are more of them. I think adding some is a good move.

White Worm
03-11-2008, 04:44 PM
You will end up moving them soon if you have 4 in a 20g tank. You would be better off upgrading to a larger tank like 50g and get yourself 4 more. No gravel... It is just a crap collector and you dont need that when growing young discus. Paint the bottom glass underneath/outside to cut back on the reflection. Make sure to QT any new additions also.

torch
03-11-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm looking to upgrade to tank. This 20 is temp tank for now. Having substrate is much more attractive,but guess is pain to keep clean.

White Worm
03-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Yep. Once they are older, you can go with a show type tank or just buy adults to start with.