PDA

View Full Version : what is culling?

namasgt
03-13-2008, 04:05 AM
Hello
where ever i search for culling all i could find is seperating bad looking fry from good ones in discus case.
what do i do with cull fry? why wouldnt i raise them together?if i dont seperate is there gona be a problem othere than lots of water changes?
what counts as a cull and how is it done for discus?
thanks

dishpanhands
03-13-2008, 05:27 AM
The term means to Euthanize the fish..we do it to get rid of sick and deformed fish..don't want to feed a fish that nobody will want to buy or could bring sickness to the other fish.

namasgt
03-13-2008, 03:32 PM
whats the best human way i can do it?
is there somthing i should put in their water to put them out?

dishpanhands
03-13-2008, 03:58 PM
here is some new stuff that they make just for it...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4615+15556&pcatid=15556

HTH

leo1234
03-13-2008, 04:11 PM
whats the best human way i can do it?
is there somthing i should put in their water to put them out?

i say have a oscar to take care of unwanted fish

AADiscus
03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
I look at culling as I will not keep a fish I would not want to purchase from someone else for my own tank. You look for body deformities, (gills, tail, fins, etc.) Big eye for a small body (some fry will not grow like the good healthy ones do). Normally these go in the trash can, down the sink or in the flower bed. You can start culling at any age. Some things also to look for are chipped eyes, humps in the for head, no chin, lots of peppering and the list can go on. I am very picky on fish I (we) sell.