PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Leopard x Snow White, what expected? (re-post)

littlezebra
03-13-2008, 12:34 PM
My first thread was accidentally deleted by the Forum Moderator. I have but to post 2nd time. Hopefully, it would last forever this time.:D:D

The fry are growing well so far.
The day 2 pics:
The day 4 pics:
The day 9 pics:

littlezebra
03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
The day 12 pics:
My community tank pics:
Did anyone try spotted leopard x snow white? What outcome will be?
What color, pattern?
Half batch be spotted leopard/half batch be snow white or a new type?

CharlesRT
03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
I enjoy those pictures. What size is that community tank? (Sorry I can't tell you what to expect on that cool cross).

DISCUS USA
03-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Where are you located?

SriAngel
03-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Congratulations on the Fry!

Keep up posted on the development of the fry, thats one interesting mix.

kaceyo
03-13-2008, 04:44 PM
I would have thought you'd get a mix of white based fry and brown based fry but they all look brown base in the pics. Can you tell that some are white base seeing them in person?

Kacey

littlezebra
03-15-2008, 09:52 AM
I enjoy those pictures. What size is that community tank? (Sorry I can't tell you what to expect on that cool cross).

My community tank is 40" long x 30" high x 20" wide

Where are you located?

I am from Hong Kong

Congratulations on the Fry!

Keep up posted on the development of the fry, thats one interesting mix.

sure, no problem

I would have thought you'd get a mix of white based fry and brown based fry but they all look brown base in the pics. Can you tell that some are white base seeing them in person?

I am not sure as they are too small now. But, they all look like brown base.

Kacey

littlezebra
03-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Pics of day 16:

Fry seems love mam than dad

Some fry now eat food at the bottom by theirselves. I expected they could be separated from their parents 1 weeks later.

supun
03-17-2008, 12:12 AM
This is an excellent post littlezebra! What detailed pics!

littlezebra
03-19-2008, 09:44 AM
All fry are growing well, no casualty so far. Thanks to God.:angel: They are very aggressive and try to eat BS (not BBS) which is for feeding their parents. The women pantie hose has been removed from the sponge filter. I will separate the fry from their parents in the coming Easter Holiday.
Pics of day 19:

kaceyo
03-19-2008, 01:13 PM
You can start giving them shaved BH and BW's now along with crushed tetraBits and flakes. Looks like you're doing a great job with them.

Kacey

littlezebra
03-21-2008, 10:18 AM
To ensure the fry can eat well after detachment on day 20 and not to waste the expensive BBS, they are all in prison now.:D:D They will be set free a few day later if they are well-behaved and obedient.
Pic of prison on day 21 (1 day after detachment)

They are very energetic and swimming to and fro all the time. Never get tired and be filled :p I feed them with home crushed tetra bit and frozen BBS which is suitable for lazy guy like me :D:D.

Pic of blender

Pic of frozen BBS

Pic of my tank ashman

kaceyo:
Thanks for your advice. :) I am afraid they may not digest BH at this moment, so I will feed them BH later. I will keep you posted the latest development.

Eric

Xavier
03-21-2008, 12:16 PM
good idea with putting them in prison. are the parents in the tank that has the container in it?

littlezebra
03-21-2008, 09:54 PM
good idea with putting them in prison. are the parents in the tank that has the container in it?
Xavier,

Their parents have gone back to the community since the breeding tank is too small for the parents after being installed a prison thereat.

Eric

dandestroy
03-21-2008, 11:09 PM
nice tread, I wonder what they will look like. Keep the information coming.

littlezebra
03-23-2008, 09:41 PM
nice tread, I wonder what they will look like. Keep the information coming.

It seems that no pure snow white is there. It appears that there are two categories. One is with regular stress bars and the other is with irregular strees bars/pattern. I will keep you inform while they are growing.

Eric

littlezebra
03-25-2008, 12:19 PM
They have adapted to the new food (frozen BBS and crushed tetra bit). So, they were granted of early releasing (day 23). :D

Pics of day 25 (2 day after releasing)

deepblue
03-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Very nice idea to keep the fries there. I am also very curious what will they be! Nice work! Please post some more pics.

~TeaCupGirl~
03-28-2008, 11:33 PM
I love the photo journal of your little babies... this is a great thread. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see how they turn out.

Kindredspirit
03-29-2008, 09:04 AM
I agree! Great thread! They look like even more after you released them! You are doing a great job and must be very proud:D

littlezebra
03-30-2008, 01:07 PM
I love the photo journal of your little babies... this is a great thread. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see how they turn out.

I agree! Great thread! They look like even more after you released them! You are doing a great job and must be very proud:D

TeaCupgirl & Kindredspirit,
Thank you for your praise.:):) I just want to share with all discus lovers here the growing course of the lovely fry. I still have many things to learn. Anyone have suggestions for improvment of breeding, please feel free to inform me. :p

I started to feed the fry with BH on day 26. They grow well so far with only 2 casualty up to now (1 month). They are now being fed with frozen BBS, cruched Tetra Bit and BH everyday in the morning and night. No feeding in the daytime as I go to work.

I noticed that the fry sometimes rubbed their bodies recently, so I add 5 ml TDC to the water in the morning today (1 month) to kill the parasite, and then did WC at the night. After that, replenish with another 5 ml TDC.

Pics of 1 month:

Pics of TDC:

kaceyo
03-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Eric,
Do you know what the active ingredient is in TDC?
It looks like they are ready for a bigger tank, otherwise they will continue to have problems like you're seeing now.
Also I would suggest that you quit feeding frozen BBS as usually breeders will only feed them untill the fry can eat bigger and more filling foods like BH mix, shaved frozen bloodworms, shaved adult brine shrimp and Tetra Bits as your doing, to name a few.
You've done a great job so far. Looking forward to more updates.

Kacey

littlezebra
03-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Eric,
Do you know what the active ingredient is in TDC?
It looks like they are ready for a bigger tank, otherwise they will continue to have problems like you're seeing now.
Also I would suggest that you quit feeding frozen BBS as usually breeders will only feed them untill the fry can eat bigger and more filling foods like BH mix, shaved frozen bloodworms, shaved adult brine shrimp and Tetra Bits as your doing, to name a few.
You've done a great job so far. Looking forward to more updates.

Kacey

Kacey:

Thanks for your valuable comment.

No mention on the bottle of TDC about its active ingredient. But it is learnt that it is the diluted solution of formalin. Today, I did not see any fry rubbing their body. But, I will still add another 10 ml after WC tonight to completely kill the parasite.

I know the fry will grow more quickly if they have a bigger tank. But my wife is not ready to allow me buying a bigger tank and I am also not ready to buy a bigger house. .......... Joke:D:D I have only one breeding tank (the one you see). When comparing the size of the fry with the tank, it is still a relative large house for them at this moment I suppose:)

I am progressively reducing the proportion of the BBS. May be a week later, I will switch it to adult BS. I usually come home late at the night. So, I did not have much time to prepared for them shaved frozen bloodworms, shaved adult brine shrimp. Please forgive me (a lazy guy) by allowing me to work smart and to work less. :antlers:

Eric

littlezebra
04-01-2008, 12:32 PM
I forgot to turn on the heater after WC last night. Some fry were found laid down on bottom tonight. :mad::mad:Keep my fingers crossed

kaceyo
04-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear that Eric. We've all done it tho so don't be too hard on yourself about it. The first time it happened to me I made sure all tanks were set up with heaters below the low water level for WC's. That way you don't need to unplug them.

Kacey

littlezebra
04-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Sorry to hear that Eric. We've all done it tho so don't be too hard on yourself about it. The first time it happened to me I made sure all tanks were set up with heaters below the low water level for WC's. That way you don't need to unplug them.

Kacey

I have lowered the position of heater. God bless. No lose :angel::angel:

littlezebra
04-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Yestarday was a black Sunday (6.4.2008) for my fry. Totally, lost 9 fry in one day. I did not know why. Mybe ate too much on Saturday, mybe fed on them a new adhesive tablet food on Saturday, mybe ....... :mad::mad: I then changed water immediately and added a large amount of salt. Luckily, no loss and no abnormality were observed today. :D:D
Up to now, 11 fry were lost.

freestylez_14
04-07-2008, 12:21 PM
hi Littlezebra,

Congratulations on the breeding pair!!! Your community tank looks fantastic!
How big is the tank and what do you feed all those fish to keep the water condition that looks that nice?

Best Wishes!

littlezebra
04-08-2008, 12:15 PM
hi Littlezebra,

Congratulations on the breeding pair!!! Your community tank looks fantastic!
How big is the tank and what do you feed all those fish to keep the water condition that looks that nice?

Best Wishes!

Hi freestylez,
Thanks

The community tank is 40" x 30" x 30". I feed them BH, frozen BS, Tetra Bit & frozen BW.
You can also do that. Not so difficult :D

Eric

freestylez_14
04-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi Eric,

I recently bought 4 discus about 5 months ago and I didnt know anything about discus fish back then. I didnt even know the gender of the fish. After a few months, they got paired up. Arent am lucky to have 4 fish that paired up. I have 2 red snakeskin that paired up, another one is a red melon and a blue snakeskin that paired up. I was surprised about them pairing up and layed eggs. But Iam not happy because both pair ate their eggs.

Eric, what food that is use is BH food? I know frozen blood worms, brine shrimp
but i dont know BH.

Best Wishes!

littlezebra
04-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Eric,

I recently bought 4 discus about 5 months ago and I didnt know anything about discus fish back then. I didnt even know the gender of the fish. After a few months, they got paired up. Arent am lucky to have 4 fish that paired up. I have 2 red snakeskin that paired up, another one is a red melon and a blue snakeskin that paired up. I was surprised about them pairing up and layed eggs. But Iam not happy because both pair ate their eggs.

Eric, what food that is use is BH food? I know frozen blood worms, brine shrimp
but i dont know BH.

Best Wishes!

Hi freestylez,

BH is the abbreviation of beef heart which mainly comprises of beef heart and prawn and other ingredient. You can browse the "Foods and Nutrition" section for details.

Eric

freestylez_14
04-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply Eric. My red melon(male) and blue snakeskin(female) spawned today but the female ate the eggs.:(:(

littlezebra
04-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply Eric. My red melon(male) and blue snakeskin(female) spawned today but the female ate the eggs.:(:(

Never give up, try again. I believe you must succeed one day.:D

airbus123
04-13-2008, 07:02 AM
i really like the pairing of snow white with the leopard

anyone knows what's the outcome?

since it's more like pigeon genes vs turq right?

freestylez_14
04-13-2008, 10:55 PM
hey Eric,

what kind of breeding cone is that that your fish layed eggs on? can i make one like that from something? At my local fish pet store, they dont sell breeding cones and I dont like to use flower pot.

Thanks

littlezebra
04-16-2008, 12:10 PM
hey Eric,

what kind of breeding cone is that that your fish layed eggs on? can i make one like that from something? At my local fish pet store, they dont sell breeding cones and I dont like to use flower pot.

Thanks

Hi freestylez,
The breeding cone is a .......:p, see following pic

My fry are now 1 month and 15 days old. The totol loss is 20. The biggest ones are about 1 inch long. They seems growing well after I have started medication to kill internal parasites yestarday.

Pics of 1 month and 15 days:
34642 34643

freestylez_14
04-16-2008, 12:30 PM
hey Eric,

LOL at the breeding cone. Congratulations on the babies. What kind of medications do you use to kill internal parasites? If I use medications to get rid of the internal parasites on my breeding pair will it effect their breeding? And please update the babies soon.

Best Wishes!

albatrozz
04-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Those are great looking healthy babies! They're growing so quick... you should be very proud of yourself, i wish i could raise fry to 1month+

littlezebra
04-19-2008, 04:22 AM
hey Eric,

LOL at the breeding cone. Congratulations on the babies. What kind of medications do you use to kill internal parasites? If I use medications to get rid of the internal parasites on my breeding pair will it effect their breeding? And please update the babies soon.

Best Wishes!

Hi freestylez,

I use Azoo Discus Anti-endoparasites to kill internal parasites. After 50% WC every night, add 5 ml and then add another 5 ml in the morning. Continue the treatment for 4 consecutive days. Today is the last day of the treatment cycle. No loss has been noted since the commencement of the treatment. It works well to the fry. They seems growing faster and healthier.

Pics of Azoo Discus Anti-endoparasites:

Those are great looking healthy babies! They're growing so quick... you should be very proud of yourself, i wish i could raise fry to 1month+
Hi albatrozz,
Thanks.
You have fry right now? Share the pics of your fry here.

freestylez_14
04-19-2008, 12:43 PM
hi Eric, thanks for the photos. That is a great medicine. I wish my local fish store sells that but they dont have any medicine to remove internal parasites. I live in Canada.

Iam trying to show you my two discus pair that layed eggs but failed but the size of the picture is too big.

Best Wishes!

Richy44
04-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Freestylz...

I wish my local fish store sells that but they dont have any medicine to remove internal parasites. I live in Canada.

I live in Canada.?????????Sheesh . No meds because it is too cold in the igloo's?:):):)

littlezebra
04-19-2008, 08:27 PM
hi Eric, thanks for the photos. That is a great medicine. I wish my local fish store sells that but they dont have any medicine to remove internal parasites. I live in Canada.

Iam trying to show you my two discus pair that layed eggs but failed but the size of the picture is too big.

Best Wishes!
Hi freestylez,
I used freeware "Powertoys" provided by Microsoft to resize the pics. It's powerful and easy to use. You may wish to visit this link for details: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=38346

freestylez_14
04-20-2008, 02:33 PM
hi Eric,

These photos are my discus pairs.

The pair with the red melon layed eggs three time and ate the eggs. I moved this pair to my room to get a quieter area for them.

The other pair layed eggs once last time and they are pecking on the glass for three days now. I put a breeding thing for them but theyre pecking on the glass instead. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

freestylez_14
04-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Hi Eric,

One of my pair spawned today but I dont know if the eggs are going to hatch because the male discus only passes over the eggs 7 times. Eric, when you moved your pair to a seperate tank how much did you feed them and how many times a day? You said you feed your fish BH, BS, BWs right? What technique do you use to condition your pair before they layed eggs?

Thanks in advance Eric.

Best Wishes!

discus_boy
04-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Hi Eric,

One of my pair spawned today but I dont know if the eggs are going to hatch because the male discus only passes over the eggs 7 times. Eric, when you moved your pair to a seperate tank how much did you feed them and how many times a day? You said you feed your fish BH, BS, BWs right? What technique do you use to condition your pair before they layed eggs?

Thanks in advance Eric.

Best Wishes!

freestylez 14 I have been reading some of your posts and its seems to me you are a bit stressed.

. I think you are trying to think to technical. Give the pairs at least ten to fifteen goes if you get no results I usually sell the male as a display fish and buy a new male vice versa. I have two pairs of discus a red snake skin pair and a red and blue turq pair. I have tampered with both pairs the first pair was the red snake skin they laid eggs at the age of fifteen months they had eggs hatch on the fourth go had around fifty fry. the tank started to leak so i moved the pair and when I moved them all the fry died and when i fixed the tank the pair nearly killed each other. I had them in a divided tank for nine months and i was sick of them so I decided to get a new female. and they now have eighty fry at the age of a month.

the second pair I have is the blue and red turq. the blue turq was paired up with another male blue turq but always ate the eggs so i got rid of him. And now i have paired her up with a male red turq. they have laid around four batches I have had in total about twenty hatch. the eggs have been affected by the fungus. I think it is the quality of the females eggs not enough nutrients.
were are your tanks relative to noise.I feed my discus blood worms and discus tucker. In the discus tucker I blend BH and mince with some spinach and peas.

i hope this helps

my red snake skin pair

blue and red tuq pair

Red Snake skin female with Fry

and red snake skin fry month old.

littlezebra
04-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi Eric,

Thanks in advance Eric.

Best Wishes!

Hi Freestylez,
Having moved the pair to the breeding tank, I only fed them BH once a day (less than the normal amount) as it was easier to control the amount of food and the quality of water (only sponge filter in the breeding tank).

In my opinion, the state of the pair is much more important than anything else such as the quality of water and the food you fed them. If the pair are eager to spawn (vibrate and flick their bodies with each other), the chance of success would be exceptional high. Take an example of the pair in this thread, while I found them being ready to spawn in the morning, I immediately put them to the breeding tank. Out of my expectation, they laid eggs in the same day evening. You may try to move the pair who have already paired up in the community tank and are ready to spawn. This is my experience. Hope this would help you and wish you a success in the near future. :D:D

Eric

freestylez_14
04-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi discus boy,

Thanks for the tips. Looks like that we have a similiar pair of a blue snakeskin and a red turq but you had a better success than me. I will give them a few more tries and if no success than i will sell the male and introduce the female to the other males.

freestylez_14
04-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Hi Eric, thanks for keep posting. My recently spawned pair ate their eggs when the eggs turned white. In my breeding tank i always keep the water clean. It just that I didnt know what nutrient food to give them before they spawn. I will make BH for them and hopefully my male discus will able to produce sperm. Ill give them a few more tries. If i will not have any success then I will fry them. :D:D just joking. How is your baby fish doing?

madfish
04-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Freestyle it might be that your male might be just to young. He knows what to do but he might not be old enough to produce sperm. I always give them a quite a few trys before sending him to a show tank. I know alot of people get excited about a pair forming up but sometimes it just take time for them to learn what to do.

freestylez_14
04-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi madfish, do you judge the age of the fish by its size? because my male looks pretty big.

kaceyo
04-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi Freestylez,
Madfish is right. It can take a long time after the male is old enough to spawn till they are sexually mature enough to fertilize the eggs. I have had them take up to 6mo and 25 spawns before they syarted fertilizing eggs. And size has nothing to do with it. You can try a different male, but don't give up on the current one yet.

Kacey

freestylez_14
04-25-2008, 11:11 PM
wow it takes up to 25 spawns to get a success? must took alot of time. ok Thanks for the advice Kaceyo and Madfish, I will give them more tries but next time when my pair spawn i wont spent alot of time watching them.

Thanks

Best Wishes!

luminary88
04-26-2008, 08:00 AM
hey discusboy

Do you know the ingredients in the discus tucker?

freestylez_14
04-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Hi Eric, does beefheart clouds the water really fast? Iam trying to make beef heart for my discus.

Thanks

littlezebra
04-28-2008, 01:07 PM
hey discusboy

Hi Eric, does beefheart clouds the water really fast? Iam trying to make beef heart for my discus.

Thanks

Now I make the BH by myself. I only mixed the minced-BH with shrimps and added small amout of Azoo anti-parasitic. If the BH is over-crushed by a blender, it will easily cloud the water. So, I am now using mincer to crush the BH. Although the size of the BH is a little bit bigger, it will not cloud the water.

freestylez_14
04-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Eric, thanks for the reply. I have made beefheart for my discus and all of them seem to eat it on their first try. I hope I will have a little success in my breeding pairs after using beefheart as their main food.

Best Wishes!

littlezebra
05-01-2008, 10:17 AM
The fry are 2 months old today. The biggest ones are about 1.5 inch long. The have 7 bars, 9 bars or 14 bars. No loss was noted since application of the Azoo anti-parasitic.
Pics of 2 months:

freestylez_14
05-01-2008, 11:53 AM
wow Eric CONGRATULATION!!! looks like you have alot of fish now. Want to sell me some?:D:D hehe I live in Canada. Looks like the Zoo bottle really works well. I really want one of that bottle for my 2 little slow growing discus. My red melon and blue snakeskin pair started to peck the glass for 2 days now I think theyre going to spawn soon and hopefully they will make me happy. I really want their babies!!!

Keep us posted Eric.

Best Wishes!

kaceyo
05-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey Eric,
They look good. It's deffinitly time to either split the spawn into two tanks or do some heavy culling to make sure they aren't over crowded.

Kacey

littlezebra
05-03-2008, 11:19 AM
wow Eric CONGRATULATION!!! looks like you have alot of fish now. Want to sell me some?:D:D hehe I live in Canada. Looks like the Zoo bottle really works well. I really want one of that bottle for my 2 little slow growing discus. My red melon and blue snakeskin pair started to peck the glass for 2 days now I think theyre going to spawn soon and hopefully they will make me happy. I really want their babies!!!

Keep us posted Eric.

Best Wishes!

Hey Eric,
They look good. It's deffinitly time to either split the spawn into two tanks or do some heavy culling to make sure they aren't over crowded.

Kacey

Hi freestylez,
If you want my fry, I am willing to give you some free of charge. What you have to do is to pay the flight fee. I am serious, not kiding :D:D.

Hi Kacey,
I am thinking exactly the same with you. I will cull some to the community tank. The rest will be sold or given to my friends.

freestylez_14
05-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Eric, my red melon pair failed again. Im starting to loose interest in my fish.

Im so happy to hear you're willing to give me some fish. I really want some of your fish but what do i do? Is the flight flee from Hong Kong to Canada expensive?:D:D

discus_boy
05-05-2008, 12:41 AM
hey discusboy

I am pretty sure it is Mince, beef heart, garlic to ad some spice,peas,spinach and shrimps

vera
05-10-2008, 03:31 AM
Hi ltlzebra
i had my pair of leopard and snow white spawn just one month later then yours and here is the pict of the fry they all have light colors but not even one pure white

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/update082.jpg

littlezebra
05-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Eric, my red melon pair failed again. Im starting to loose interest in my fish.

Im so happy to hear you're willing to give me some fish. I really want some of your fish but what do i do? Is the flight flee from Hong Kong to Canada expensive?:D:D

I did not have experience on shipping fish to other country. I will explore more about it. Are there any expertise to teach me more about the shipping details from Hong Kong to Canada. Mybe I should consult Wayne NG.

[QUOTE=vera;453779]Hi ltlzebra
i had my pair of leopard and snow white spawn just one month later then yours and here is the pict of the fry they all have light colors but not even one pure white

Pretty good fry. :):) I also did not have even single one pure white as yours. Would you mind share their parent's pics here?

vera
05-10-2008, 07:05 AM
sure

Father

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/DSCF3610.jpg

Mother is white

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/DSCF3613.jpg

but all babies have red stripes on their fins

joe98ss
05-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Any updated pics?

littlezebra
05-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi,

Long time no post here. :D

My babies are still growing well. Six pioneers have been removed to the community tank for 2 weeks.

The remaining are still in the breeding tank:

kaceyo
05-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Nice. Some of them look like they could turn out with some decent spots. Keep the updates coming.

Kacey

freestylez_14
06-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi Eric, are you still around?

vera
11-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Any updates ?

CHADFISH
12-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Very cool story and pics, hope they are still doing well!!!