PDA

View Full Version : Switching Sponges

aquagal
03-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Is there a rule of thumb for switching out sponges. I am upgrading from HydroSponge IIs to HydroSponge IVs. I switched out one of the sponges yesterday. Any idea how long I should wait to add another new sponge? Want to have enough good bacteria build up again before I put another new one in.

Thanks.

Sherry

AADiscus
03-13-2008, 09:17 PM
I would only switch one out right now. You don't want to disrupt your bio load and you also want to keep an active good sponge filled with all the goodies in there. I would wait at least 6-8 weeks before switching out the other sponge. I would normally keep the existing sponges in there and add the others. Let them get go for about 4 weeks then pull one of the ones you want to switch out, a couple weeks later take out the other then you are good to go on the new ones. If you have other tanks I would defiantly keep the old ones going, you never know when you need a cycled filtered sponge. ;)

aquagal
03-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks Angela. I already pulled out the older and smaller sponge. I'll monitor ammonia and nitrites to make sure there's no problem. I also dumped in some Stress Zyme to try to boost the new sponge.

Thanks for the input.

Sherry

tdr1919
03-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Hey Aquagal, my daughter got married last year down in Mclean, at the Ritz mall, the reception was in the Italian restaurant we all stayed at the ritz it was great!

Tom

aquagal
03-14-2008, 07:48 AM
The [Tysons Corner] Ritz is very nice...about 5--10 minutes from my house...congrats!

Sherry

Tropical Haven
03-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Sherry,
The best way that I switch out sponges without waiting 6-8 weeks to replace another one is when you have to clean out your sponges I use a 5 gallon bucket to do it in and when I am done cleaning the ones I want then I grab a new one or two and gently squeeze them into the same 5 gallon bucket that I just cleaned the other ones with. This will give a good jump start to the new sponges.

aquagal
03-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Scott -- Do you mean you just squeeze the new one in the [bacteria laden] water from the old sponge to pick up all the goodies? Sounds good!

Even though I didn't do what has been suggested, I checked my levels last night and everything seems o.k.

Thanks for the advice...it's always good!

Sherry

Tropical Haven
03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Scott -- Do you mean you just squeeze the new one in the [bacteria laden] water from the old sponge to pick up all the goodies? Sounds good!

EXACTLY!!

Apistomaster
03-14-2008, 02:55 PM
I do the same as Scott.
My tanks all have two sponges and I alternate cleaning one then the other next time.