PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy some heckels!!!!

wilddiscuss
03-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Does anyone know where I can get some? I can find them here at this link:

http://www.sunrisetropicals.com/id55.html

Has anyone bought from here before? Also do these look like natural heckels? They seem a bit bright in color from other pics I have seen.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for your help :)

TOdd

ShinShin
03-14-2008, 01:32 AM
You'll pay top dollar here, but...

www.belowwater.com

the quality far exceeds those pictured at SRT.

Mat

Apistomaster
03-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Oliver Lucanus, www.belowwater.com does not have any discus currently listed.
Oliver told me he is mainly shipping his wild discus to Japan because they are much more willing to pay $400 each for his quality wild discus which North Americans would balk at paying $100 for.
He hasn't listed any discus for the past three months. Many others are also sending their best Discus, rarest fancy plecos and even Corydoras to Japan because of the higher prices they can get for their fish.
I also checked with Mark Denaro, anubiasdesign@yahoo.com because he often has wild discus but none are available at this time.

The apparent recession and falling US dollar doesn't help us compete for the best fish either. When it gets to the point where food, gas and meds are hard to pay for, the fish business for the expensive species often suffers. The fewer fish people buy, the fewer expensive fish are imported. Things haven't been this bad for many decades. When was the last time a barrel of oil sold for over $111/barrel?

Regular Heckels should be available within the USA for about $30 to $45, depending on size.
Maybe you could check with Dan at www.fishfarm@mindspring.com for Heckel Discus availability?
Dan is one of the sponsors listed here on simplydiscus.

Harriett
03-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Last summer Larry [Polar Bear} and I went over to check out Tony's Sunrise tropicals in Daley City. The discus were very nice quality and as a matter of fact between us we bought 10 San Merah on sale. A little less than 3" for $25. each. The shipping and arrival were great, packing was good, Tony was easy to work with [Larry handled the details].
He had some very nice pieces. Condition of store and tanks, etc was excellant.
Harriett

Apistomaster
03-14-2008, 02:03 PM
There is no shortage of nice domesticated discus but with wild discus the situation is different.

swingdaddy
03-15-2008, 02:47 AM
try Jim at
http://www.mainlycichlids.com/Fish_List.html

looks like he still has 12 of Heckels.

check out his list of Discus.

yogi
03-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Yes the heckels at sunrise tropicals are real heckels. It looks like those pictures were taken under strong lighting, plus they are still young. They should turn out to look like the heckels from mainly cichlids. So it looks like you have two choices to pick from, so show us pictures after you buy them.

wilddiscuss
03-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Cool. I will and thanks everyone!

Todd

ShinShin
03-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Larry,

I got a price list from Oliver about 3 weeks ago. Heckles were on the list.

Mat

Apistomaster
03-17-2008, 02:54 AM
Hi Larry,
I have never ordered from Oliver because of the distance to a Port of Entry from me but I know you have. As a customer I'm sure you are offered things some aren't. I can only go by the lists he sends me and what he wrote to me about shipping most of his discus to Japan.