PDA

View Full Version : Help breathing hard near surface

Pat
03-14-2008, 08:21 PM
I have an older Discus that is near the surface breathing hard and his fins are red at the base of his pectoral fins The tank has been set up for about 5 years and has another 7 discus and other fish in the tank. They are all acting fine and eating just fine. Ph is around 7 and all other tests are good would love some help on this Pat

pcsb23
03-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Pat, that discus looks to be in very poor shape. Eyes are clouded, it's conditioning is poor too. I know you said it was an older sicus, how old?

I would be suspecting nematodes or similar taking their toll here. I see it is in a planted tank, is it using CO2?

Pat
03-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Paul I would say that he is around 6 to 7 years old as I have had him for about 3 years and the tank does not have CO2
Pat

pcsb23
03-20-2008, 07:11 AM
I have some at that age and I believe they will live to around 10 years, but age could be an issue here. As you don't know the care it received before you got it, it is difficult to call. Instinct says nematodes judging by the condition of the fish and the eyes. Something like levimasole in water or panacur in food would work. Sorry for the delay in responding, been under the cosh a bit recently.