PDA

View Full Version : She and others like her also give...........

Greg Richardson
03-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Please don't turn this into a political thread. I wanted to honor this woman along with countless others who give of their time to honor our young man and woman.

Giving a piece of herself
By Erik Lacitis

Seattle Times staff reporter

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/03/19/2004293507.jpg
KEN LAMBERT / THE SEATTLE TIMES

An Iraqi war veteran, Sgt. Kevin Summerbell, covers himself with one of Sue Nebeker's quilts after surgery at Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma. Summerbell, who was shot in the arm in Iraq, had surgery to implant a plate in his arm. The sergeant uses the blanket at night. It gets a bit cold, he said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/03/19/2004293504.jpg

Sue Nebeker works on a quilt for Nancy Sides, of Yakima, who lost her son, Dustin, a Marine who fought in Iraq.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/03/19/2004293545.jpg

Sgt. Ryan Clark; his wife, Heather; and their sons, 22-month-old Alexander and 5-year-old Garrett, use the quilts from American Hero Quilts at their Fort Lewis home.
Related

Sometimes Sue Nebeker wonders if it's worth it. She has worked seven days a week, for the past four years, on the 3,000 quilts her group has sent out.

They're mostly given at Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma to injured soldiers coming back from Iraq or Afghanistan. Sometimes she wonders if the quilts matter that much to them.

"Sometime I get burned out and wonder about what I'm doing," said Nebeker, who lives on Vashon Island.

At times, her emotions overwhelm her — all those wounded soldiers, and all their families whose lives have been upturned.

Then Nebeker has a good cry, often in the company of Sue DeWalt, another Vashon resident who's one of the volunteer mainstays of American Hero Quilts.

"We just cry together, and then get up, and start working again," DeWalt said.

Nebeker remembers a phone call last year from a young veteran, who was in obvious emotional pain. Nebeker talked to him at length, she said, telling him he had value to himself and to his family.

She didn't know what happened to the young man after their conversation ended, she said. But a week later, said Nebeker, a woman contacted her, saying she was the mother of a young soldier who had killed himself. His last phone call had been to Nebeker, and remembering it brings her to tears.

Nebeker estimates each of the American Hero Quilts takes 45 hours to make.

At 3,000 quilts, that's 135,000 hours of labor that includes washing, ironing and lots of sewing.

Some 400 people help sporadically, and 30 are hard-core volunteers, she said. Some live on Vashon, but others are from around the country, these days connected through www.americanheroquilts.com.

The basement of her home is filled with quilting supplies, including a 14-foot, industrial-grade quilting machine, and the finished product.

There isn't much white fabric in the quilts, not when they might cover open wounds. And no fabrics with "sparkles" are used, as they might flake off into a wound.

And no anti-war or religious messages, as Nebeker has no idea who might be the recipient. Such messages are sewn over with a star.

Sometimes the answer to whether it's all worth it comes in a phone call or a letter or an e-mail from those receiving the quilts.

Here's an e-mail from Heather Clark, wife of Sgt. Ryan Clark, 28. The Clarks and their two small boys live in base housing at Fort Lewis.

He's had about a dozen surgeries — he's lost count — since his left leg was mangled on June 2, 2007, when his Stryker vehicle was hit in Iraq by an improvised explosive device.

"The quilt he received was just beautiful ... it has touched him dearly," wrote his wife. "The quilt is used every day, either by my husband or one of our children when they need an extra hug."

Most of the quilts have been given to injured soldiers arriving at Madigan. It's a ritual that takes place right at the beginning of their check-in. Each has the label, "You are our hero. Thank you."

An additional 200 quilts have been given to children of soldiers injured or killed in the war. The quilts have this simple message stitched on them: "Child of a Hero."

And about 300 quilts have been given to families of vets who've committed suicide.

Reading about one such soldier made Nebeker start the quilt project.

The newspaper story told of a 22-year-old Marine who grew up in Ephrata and served in Iraq. He returned home a troubled man, with financial problems and his marriage fallen apart. He hanged himself in his Renton apartment.

History around quilting

Nebeker, 58, has been quilting all her life.

"I threaded my first needle when I was 5," said Nebeker. "There is a long, rich history around quilting. Lots of times, when times are bad, people cut up old clothing and make quilts, to keep people warm."

She's now retired after being co-owner of a business that provided residential support services to the disabled. Her husband, Clark, was a human-resources manager at Boeing. He knows how much the quilts mean to his wife and doesn't mind that half of their home is devoted to them.

Originally, making the quilts was supposed to be a one-time project.

Nebeker put up posters around the island about a "Quilt-A-Thon" at the local Methodist church on Sept. 10 and 11 of 2004, commemorating Sept. 11.

She set up 20 sewing machines in one room.

More than 100 people showed up, mostly women, some having no idea of how to quilt. But they learned, and they could help with such chores as ironing. Nebeker had to borrow a dozen more sewing machines.

That weekend, 100 quilts were made, and Nebeker later delivered them to Madigan.

"I thought 100 quilts would last a long time," she said. "They said, 'When are you coming back?' "

A reminder of home

One of those recently receiving a quilt at Madigan was Fort Lewis Sgt. Kevin Summerbell, 23, of the 4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, 2nd Squadron of the 1st Cavalry.

Around midnight of Feb. 28, on a mission in Iraq searching for an insurgent, Summerbell was shot above the right elbow, fracturing the bone. After surgery at Madigan, in which a metal plate was put in, he expects his right arm to be a couple of inches shorter.

This was the second quilt he was given; Summerbell got the first at a hospital in Germany.

That quilt now is with his wife, Rae Summerbell, also 23.

The sergeant uses the second blanket at night in his room at Madigan. It gets a bit cold, he said.

"They're kind of comforting," he said. "They remind of you of home."

Nebeker has vowed that her group will keep making the quilts until the last wounded soldier from Iraq or Afghanistan comes home to Madigan.

She already has made that quilt, a beautiful comforter with the border made entirely of tiny American flags.

She knows that waiting for confirmation of that last wounded soldier could be many, many years away, if such a confirmation is even possible.

"I didn't expect wars to go on this long. But I'm going to be here," she said. "I made a commitment."

Greg Richardson
03-20-2008, 12:58 PM
How this started.........

VASHON ISLAND, WA--The story of 100 quilts begins with two hands and one tragic tale.

The hands belong to Sue Nebeker.

The tale belongs to a stranger from east of the mountains, Ken Dennis, a 22-year-old combat rifleman who came home from Iraq a troubled soul. "I just don't want to see 23 after all this," he told his parents.
Nebeker, 53, read the story of the young Marine -- abandoned by his wife, haunted by scenes of war -- in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer Aug. 13. Dennis hanged himself March 21, exactly one year after the first combat Marine deaths in Iraq. "It almost killed me, it made me so sad -- for someone not even 23 to feel such despair, such hopelessness," Nebeker said.

She cried. She railed. She lay awake at night. And then she took action -- action that comes full circle today when Nebeker and husband Clark deliver 100 red, white and blue quilts to Fort Lewis' Madigan Hospital. Officers there will distribute the quilts to injured soldiers returned from Iraq.

Call them crazy quilts. Call her obsessed. Her quilting friends do as they gather round the dining room table in her airy home overlooking Tramp Harbor.

She's determined, they say. Driven. First she caught them up in the story of the rifleman, fired up their passions, then put them to work.

"We have to do this! Have to do this!" said Katie Plucinski, 62, retired from The Boeing Co. "It's a personal way to reach out to these young people."

"Our young people," said Joyce O'Connor-Magee, 47, pastor at Vashon Island United Methodist Church.

"Our kids!" said Barbara Jansen, 65, also retired from Boeing.

"Our grandkids!" chimed in several.

Nebeker's first action was to call military hospitals to ask how she could volunteer.

Nebeker, former co-owner of a Seattle social-service agency and now partner in a long-arm quilting service, has multiple sclerosis, tires easily and has weakness in her legs. "It turns out I'm useless, except I can quilt," she said. She thought of the warmth, physical and emotional, quilts might bring to the war-wounded, who arrive in hospitals with nothing but pajamas and robes.

What she didn't think of, at first, were the sheer numbers of soldiers injured in Iraq.

Although statistics on war dead -- 1,067 as of yesterday -- are almost daily news, the number of injured is not. The latest toll is 7,531 Iraq coalition soldiers wounded in action.

And at Madigan Hospital, an average 10 inpatient soldiers arrive each week.

That's a lot of quilts.

In no time, Nebeker was calling in the girlfriends, putting up posters all over the island, activating phone trees and organizing a quilt-a-thon. The women -- coupon-clipping bargain hunters -- hit fabric stores all over the Puget Sound area, buying up clearance red, white and blue fabrics left over from the Fourth of July.

"My husband gave me a Visa card and tried not to twitch every time I charged something," said Nebeker, who would heat up the plastic with more than $1,000 debt by the project's end.

On Sept. 10-11, more than 80 people gathered at the island's Methodist church and set to work -- some on old, broken-down machines Nebeker's husband, another Boeing retiree, had refurbished.

It was Noah's Ark of volunteers. There were old and young, male and female, abled and disabled, rich and poor, liberal and conservative, and everything in between.

"You could go out in the parking lot and see the Nader car parked next to the Bush car next to the Kerry car," said Nebeker.

Organizers asked everyone to leave their politics at the door. And in the busy-ness of needles and thread, squares and batting, ironing and tying, one man's death became community salve for a war that's dividing a nation.

"It was the most amazing thing. The way people were together, and all they were thinking about was making the best possible quilt they could," said Nebeker.

Some couldn't sew, so they ironed. Some couldn't iron -- so they bought food for everyone.

One young woman came into the church and handed Nebeker a $20 bill. "She said she'd been crying ever since she heard about the quilt-a-thon. She said, 'I've just been called up.' All I could think is, 'Man, I hope I'm not making a quilt for you,' " Nebeker said.

On the evening of Sept. 11 -- three years after the World Trade Center towers tumbled in New York City -- the stitching ceased, and 85 quilts were stacked on tables ready for Nebeker to machine stitch, pack up and take to Fort Lewis. Another 15 quilts would trickle in later.

There were two sizes of quilts: small ones for wheelchairs, large ones for stretchers.

The reds were rust to rouge, and the patterns emblazoned with stripes and stars and phrases: "Land of the free" and "We the people." Some had appliques of Uncle Sam, eagles, flags. Others exploded in red, white and blue fireworks -- complete with sparkles.

On the back of each was a label that reads: "You are our hero. Thank you! The people of Vashon Island, Washington."

This week, as Nebeker's circle of friends looked at them one last time before the trip south, they grew quiet. Yes, they said, they will do another quilt-a-thon. How could they not?

"There is so much love ..." Plucinski said. "... in every stitch," said Nebeker.

"A little prayer said over every one of them," O'Connor-Magee said.

~SeattlePI, October 8, 2004
M.L.Lyke, Reporter

brewmaster15
03-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Random acts of KIndness that come from heart....can do so much good... Thats an amazing group of people, very compassionate giving people.

My Brother is in Iraq Now ...I hope he never recieves one of these quilts..but Its nice to know things like this exist.

Thanks Greg,

al

happygirl65
03-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Very cool