PDA

View Full Version : Best canister filter ???

JackRent
03-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Some have mentioned the Fluval FX5...any other thoughts ?? pics would be cool too

poconogal
03-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Just about anything Eheim. I've also had very good luck so far with the Rena Filstar XP 3 on my 75 and the Rena Filstar XP 1 on my 20. Both have been running for almost 2 years now with not a single issue, they do an excellent job of filtering and cleaning and changing media is a breeze with the separate trays they have.

alpine
03-21-2008, 07:48 PM
The quality of the EHEIMs is amazing...

Roberto.

White Worm
03-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Just about anything Eheim. I've also had very good luck so far with the Rena Filstar XP 3 on my 75 and the Rena Filstar XP 1 on my 20. Both have been running for almost 2 years now with not a single issue, they do an excellent job of filtering and cleaning and changing media is a breeze with the separate trays they have.

XP3 (75g) :thumbsup:

DaniDarvin
03-23-2008, 12:12 AM
XP3 has been working great for me. The only complaint I have with the xp3 is it doesn't circulate the water evenly. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have a 105G tank which I please the spray bar on one side slightly pointed to the surface and the water intake on the other end. Debris circulate on spray bar side over and over again and not be pushed in the intake side. I'm buying an aquaclear 110 to put on the intake side to hopefully solve my circulation issue, I hope.

Danny

Ringo
03-24-2008, 05:50 PM
I have an eheim 2028 and an fx5 on my 90 gallon. If I had to choose just one it would be the fx5.

tacks
03-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi just to add my 2 cents I have 2 xp3 on my 150 along with a Marineland 360 all are great and very quite. hth Ed

jmcholden
03-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Rena XP2 and a penquin 280 on my 55 and no issues. Water is always crystal clear. Cost of media..........thats debaitable :argue:

Polar_Bear
03-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I used to advise the Rena line of canisters, unfortunately they have recently just about doubled in price (Big Al's once sold the XP3 for $89, now they are $149). Since this happened I would now recomend Eheim's. The 2200 series of Eheim's (2217 being comparable to a Rena XP3) are now actually cheaper than the Rena's, and are probably the superior filter.

Harriett
03-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Well, Larr, I am still a die hard bigger fan of the cascade canisters than the eheims....they are just more user friendly, particularly that the cascade connects/disconnects are so simple and easy to work with--my eheim pro II was a crap shoot; I dreaded everytime I disconnected the eheim dual hose set up from the canister neck--that's the one if you recall, that I actually snapped the freaking lever off on. For power, the cascade 1000 I replaced the ehiem with is at least as powerful, if not more so....that E. II is sitting on the back porch now. Good riddance except as an emergency back up.
How're the baby fishies doing?
xox
H

MSD
03-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Eheim, Eheim, oh, and EHEIM.

Use all others at your own (fishes) risk. A canister filter is only as good as the media and Eheim has the best with ehfisubstrat pro.

Harriett
03-26-2008, 11:01 AM
I agree the Ehiem media is great, so my response is use Eheim media if you like it best, but the canister itself is not necessarily the be-all end-all most reliable or powerful or user friendly for its size that is out there NOW. It used to be THE one to buy in years past, but now I think you can do just as well or better for less money with a few other brands. Just my own opinion, naturally!
Best regards
Harriett

MSD
03-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I got my Eheim from Big Al's for $219 with the media, its the Pro II 2028, can't beat the price as the media is expensive in itself, its like getting the filter for $100. The new marine canister seems good too, but its $165 for a similar size and no eheim media.

pcsb23
04-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Eheim for me too. The 2217 is so simple and efficient, and it now comes with quick disconnect taps that work, in the UK they are significantly cheaper than the XP3. And owning both are significantly better in real life usage., mind I am about to ditch the XP3, it's leaked one time too many.

discus bob
04-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I used to advise the Rena line of canisters, unfortunately they have recently just about doubled in price (Big Al's once sold the XP3 for $89, now they are $149). Since this happened I would now recomend Eheim's. The 2200 series of Eheim's (2217 being comparable to a Rena XP3) are now actually cheaper than the Rena's, and are probably the superior filter.
Glad I bought one a few months ago! That being the case I would go with Eheim. I also have a Marineland Magnum 350 but would not buy that again.

sophie68
04-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I have the Rena XP 3 and the Eheim PRO III 2028, and I much prefer the Eheim. It's more sturdy and better built. Then again, it was almost twice as much....
I also had an Eheim pro II 2078 (I believe that's the model), but I kept having problems with the priming. With the new PRO III, it's a breeze and they are awsome features on that filter! I LOVE it!!!!! Just don't like the price of the Eheim media....:(
Sophie