PDA

View Full Version : Just a pair in a 200?

harris611
03-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Just added 150 cardinals into the new 200 this afternoon -- from Sunrise Tropicals. Really nice stock, BTW. Almost all over 1", many about 1.5" and already eating.

Anyway, I am a little less worried than I was about getting size on them before adding discus (to keep them from getting eaten), so I started thinking about moving up the timetable a bit:D

Any thoughts on just starting with one adult mated pair for a couple months and then adding more -- or will the big tank stress them out to be in there alone?

Thanks,

Matt

White Worm
03-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Sounds like way too much room for you to expect any breeding behavior. You should get what you are going to have in the tank at once if you can. If you get them all from one source, you wont have to do numerous QT's and you wont have to keep worrying about introducing a bug every time you add new ones.

phidelt85
03-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Sounds like way too much room for you to expect any breeding behavior. You should get what you are going to have in the tank at once if you can. If you get them all from one source, you wont have to do numerous QT's and you wont have to keep worrying about introducing a bug every time you add new ones.

:thumbsup:

harris611
03-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Thats a bummer. Now that I have actual fish in there, I've got the discus itch BAD...

My wife keeps catching me on-line, ogling fish in the University section. She actually sat down today and asked me to explain the difference between one Red Turq vs another (although she said "blue fish with red stripes").

I thought she was interested...turns out she just though I was going crazy and looking at the same fish over and over again:embarassed:

I almost broke down and bought a single fish from Tony at Sunrise this afternoon.

This is going to be excruciating...

In related news, the cardinals are doing fantastic. 36 hours in and I have lost only three fish out of 156. They are crazy active and have eaten like its their last meal three times today.

White Worm
03-23-2008, 08:20 PM
You will be happier if you do it all at once. it would be horrible if you added some here and there and during the last addition, you introduce a bug to all your beauties. If not all at once, maybe 2 large purchases. I wouldnt do onesies and twosies. Just asking for trouble.

Tony has a great place and some great looking fish so I can understand your itch. I have been there a few times myself and i am always cruising his site.

John_Nicholson
03-24-2008, 09:28 AM
If they are a good pair they will breed and raise fine in that tank. I mean the Amazon is slightly larger then 29 gallons last I checked. The largest tank that I have raised a spawn in was 120 gallons. Dennis H. (Ya'll probably don't remember him but he was another old timer) from Oregon I know raised a spawn in a 165.

-john

Apistomaster
03-26-2008, 10:04 AM
The largest spawn of discus I have ever raised came from a pair of wild bowns in a 125 gallon tank by themselves. I raised 147 fry from that spawn. How any one could think a breeding tank can be too large eludes me.

White Worm
03-26-2008, 12:45 PM
the new 200 this afternoon
Any thoughts on just starting with one adult mated pair for a couple months and then adding more -- or will the big tank stress them out to be in there alone?
Thanks,
Matt

If they are a good pair they will breed and raise fine in that tank. I mean the Amazon is slightly larger then 29 gallons last I checked. The largest tank that I have raised a spawn in was 120 gallons. Dennis H. (Ya'll probably don't remember him but he was another old timer) from Oregon I know raised a spawn in a 165.

-john
Good point but its all about survival in the wild. Not so much important in an aquarium. Just going with the most likely direction.

The largest spawn of discus I have ever raised came from a pair of wild bowns in a 125 gallon tank by themselves. I raised 147 fry from that spawn. How any one could think a breeding tank can be too large eludes me.

:confused: Who said a breeding tank was too large?

Brian Mc
03-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I mean the Amazon is slightly larger then 29 gallons last I checked.
I LOL'd. I also read somewhere that the dither fish will keep the parents closer by and more protective of the spawn.

harris611
03-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the comments. I would only have the pair (looking at one in particular) alone in the tank for about two months. Seems like it won't hurt them, so I'm going to see if they are still available. And then I can add the rest (another six) in June, so as not to go through multiple QTs.

Appreciate the help!

Matt