PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think?

duy
03-24-2008, 01:39 AM
I am new to the hobby and i was wondering if i should buy these discus imported from Vietnam. I was told by the guy selling it that i was top grade fish and rare.http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9649/img0995sp6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

RyanH
03-24-2008, 11:37 AM
They look nice. Not perfect. But nice.

Ask yourself:

How much are you paying for them?

How are they being shipped?

Are you sure they fish in the pics are the exact ones you will be getting?

Are you prepared to deal with quarantine and any disease outbreaks you may get from fish coming from Vietman?

Do you know anything about the seller or his reputation?

Is that strain available here in the U.S. from a reputable dealer? Maybe a sponsor here has them or something similar?

Do your homework.

caveat emptor

kaceyo
03-24-2008, 05:50 PM
The one thing that makes me skeptical is that you were told they are rare. They are not even close to rare. They look to me like typical White Butterflies. I take it they are already here in the US but originated in Vietnam? Beware of sellers that post one pic of a nice looking fish to represent the strain, then sell you fish that are lower in quality and/or unhealthy. Not all sellers work that way but many do.
As Ryan said, do your homework. Look around, compare prices and do searches on the suppliers.

Kacey

RyanH
03-24-2008, 09:06 PM
The one thing that makes me skeptical is that you were told they are rare. They are not even close to rare. They look to me like typical White Butterflies. I take it they are already here in the US but originated in Vietnam? Beware of sellers that post one pic of a nice looking fish to represent the strain, then sell you fish that are lower in quality and/or unhealthy. Not all sellers work that way but many do.
As Ryan said, do your homework. Look around, compare prices and do searches on the suppliers.

Kacey

Yes, that's another thing I meant to touch on. That is not a rare strain. Make sure you are careful when dealing with sellers giving you sales pitches like that.

dpt8
03-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Try Discus Hans or some of the sponsors on this websight. You shouldn't have to import discus and take such a chance on importing poor quality discus. Where do you live??