PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knows where I can buy some fine white sand (soil) in Vancouver?

noobxnoob
03-24-2008, 06:44 AM
I have searched for BigAls, Petcetra.. but there aint any fine white sand for my tank... anyone knows where i can get those?

aquagal
03-24-2008, 08:37 AM
I have the fine white sand in my tank (Carib Marine Sand) and I really, really, really don't like it. It shows a lot of dirt (aka poop) and gets sucked up my python everytime I clean.

I bought some pool filter sand to replace it and I much prefer the look and the fact it doesn't get sucked up as easily.

This doesn't answer your question but I thought you might be interested....

Moon
03-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Pool filter sand from any pool shop.

steve.ryall
03-25-2008, 09:18 AM
ditto, thats what I use too.

Apistomaster
03-25-2008, 11:01 AM
I have the fine white sand in my tank (Carib Marine Sand) and I really, really, really don't like it. It shows a lot of dirt (aka poop) and gets sucked up my python everytime I clean.

I bought some pool filter sand to replace it and I much prefer the look and the fact it doesn't get sucked up as easily.

This doesn't answer your question but I thought you might be interested....

CaribSea only sells one type of white sand safe for discus tanks. They call it Torpedo Beach Sand. It is a medium coarse grade of quartzite sand. It has no effect on water chemistry.
None of their marine sands are discus safe. They are mainly coral and shell sands. Primary composition of the marine sand is Calcium carbonate. This will elevate the KH of the water faster than you can dilute it.
Pool sands are good but because they are so fine grained, it is best to use pool sand in thin layers. Deep sand beds using pool sand have a tendencency to develop dead spots where the water circulation is poor. These dead spots sometimes become anaerobic and chemoautotrophic reducing bacteria can generate H2S, a very toxic gas in even small amounts. You have to be sure that the fine sand is regularly vacuumed to prevent this.

aquagal
03-25-2008, 11:50 AM
CaribSea only sells one type of white sand safe for discus tanks. They call it Torpedo Beach Sand. It is a medium coarse grade of quartzite sand. It has no effect on water chemistry.

Not true. The sand I bought from them (it's called Marine Sand) is sugar-fine silica that does NOT affect water chemistry. Check out their web site for specifics.

dandestroy
03-25-2008, 06:46 PM
A well kept secret his to find a high end golf club, and make a trip a night to with a big bucket to one of their sand trap...

I have never done this myself, but I know it is something popular where I'm from. (I personally had my local pet store order some san of Loire, which I love!)

doc3toes
03-26-2008, 12:15 AM
sharecost. sand blasting sand. white silica and available by grit size.

Apistomaster
03-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Exactly, that is all CaribSea is selling as sugur fine silica sand. Fine for thin layers but if you want a deeper sand bed then the coarser sand they sell as Torpedo Bech Sand is best. It allows for water circulation throughout the sand bed. I used it in my Heckel tank.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/P8210045.jpg